Fan Advice

-

iw378

Reaction score
Currently I have a direct drive fan on my car and was looking to upgrade to the mopar clutch fan setup. Looked on summit and they don' t have 'em. Same with jegs and all of the other retail outlets. Are the discontinued now ?

You'll have to dig around for that viscous fan set up. There the best thing to use.

I'd call Summit. I can't believe Hayden, Four Seasons, or Flex-a-lite, don't have a reasonably priced unit that would work? Some of them might require a fan blade replacement also, but that might be a small price to pay for going to a clutch style system. Other then a all out race car, that system works extremely well.....I'd say, just talk to them about what's available.

Well, these aren't "Mopar" parts, but... You'll have to buy the fan, and the clutch separately. Summit does have everything you'll need. I found clutches by Hayden and Four Seasons to fit a '69 small block. Fans are also out there, just figure out what dia. you need. A Flex-A-Lite #5718 might work?

I think Tony's Parts has the real Mopar stuff, new or used.

Looks like you are in CA. I think I'd check some boneyards and look for a 70's era V-8 Mopar.

It looks to me like Direct Connection (Mopar Performance) sometimes take older production pieces and slap a new PXXXXX part number on it. These junkyard fans show up at Mopar swap meets too.

I am close to you and have a new Mopar fan clutch and fan (small block I recall). I'll have to pull them out to get specifics (thermal or viscous, fan diameter). I ran across them on a surplus site so jumped, but no plan for them. I put a junkyard one from a 318 on my big block, so perhaps same PN's.

PM if interested, with retail prices you found. I would rather sell in person than fuss w/ shipping, if you can wait for my next trip to SF or yours to Tahoe.

I PM'ed iw378, but archive here to help others. I have 2 thermal fan clutches that would work. But anyone can buy cheaper than I could sell w/ shipping.

Hayden 2706 "Made in USA", $27 Amazon, $32 Summit. 5/8"D pilot hole (Mopar).

TorqFlo 922747, 0.75"D pilot hole (GM), but bushing adapter for 5/8"D (Mopar), otherwise same dimensions as above. Made in China". $43 Autozone, $49 ebay.

Nice that U.S. made Mopar parts are cheaper for once. I think thermal fans (bi-metal spring) are better than simply "viscous".

My clutch fan is Hayden 3618, 6 blades, 18"D and fits tight on above clutches. Specs <250 cu in engines and <4000 rpm, so "6 cyl", though it would work on a V-8. An older 318 clutch fan I have has 7 wider blades, 18"D. The rpm spec might be confused. The box cover shows a flex fan (most PN's on back), but 3 clutch fans like mine are listed. They have solid aluminum blades, so rpm rating may not apply. Google finds GM guys who used it on a V-8 w/ no problems. $24 O'Reillys. For a true "V-8" clutch fan, might require JY.

I got mine at Mancini racing, they sent it out immediately. The kit comes with a new clutch, fan and all bolts needed. It replaced the factory fan on the 69 318 Barracuda and it works great!

I bought a clutch fan from a '80's Chrysler Fifth Avenue at the junkyard. Works great.

-
Back