Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
nice work DD....did you re-paint those front armrests or buy re-pops?

nice work DD....did you re-paint those front armrests or buy re-pops?
Thanks. Many moons ago, I bought my fenders from a guy who lives one town over. When picking them up, he presented me with a box of odds and ends parts he didn't want. In that box were two very nice black Chrysler arm rests....

Not too shabby for a carpenter :poke: LOL
Seriously looks great!:thumbsup:
Many times along the way I have been temped to blast a drywall screw to anchor something down. The shame I would have been showered with from FABO kept me from doing it.
Thanks Keith!!

Thanks. Many moons ago, I bought my fenders from a guy who lives one town over. When picking them up, he presented me with a box of odds and ends parts he didn't want. In that box were two very nice black Chrysler arm rests....

score!!

The Tuff wheel goes super great with the dash and the rest of the interior:)
IMG_7299.JPG

IMG_7302.JPG

No problem, it must have fit, the wheel is on.

D/D did you get the horn to work properly with your new wheel?
Yes. The horn button came with the wheel and the spring and contact plate came with the adaptor kit. No horn under the hood yet but the relay triggers as it is supposed to.

Last edited:
Sears. I have had mine since 1987. Works great.
I have a Craftsman also. Only a few years old. Looks like same as they sell now for $70. Works great, but had to return the first one. Worked one time and died. Be nice to that old one, they don't make them like they used to... Mine from the early 80's grew legs.:(

@AlV says the timing is erratic during advance. I had Misty at his place a while back. He has a digital light. Not being a mechanic I watched a few youtube videos to understand what a digital light offers, but I think that technology is beyond what I need for my purposes.
The idle timing is at about 18* if I remember correctly. The motor looses power and runs rough over 2000 rpm. Another friend suggest it could be fuel starved but the fuel system is brand new from the pickup to the carb. say friend says there may not be enough gas in the tank.
I have not tried to diagnose or look at the fuel pressure gauge when it happens....

Last edited:
Got busy with other life stuff so I ordered a timing light and vacuum gauge and a spare tire. Put that Amazon gift card I got for my birthday to good use. Also have the issue of the front passenger brake caliper hanging up. So I ordered a warranty caliper and a new brake hose. I'll get back to the car after our vacation next week.

Got the car outside in the sun this morning to work on a few things.

Misty is lookin good!
IMG_7547.JPG

Put my vacuum gauge on my motor today and vacuum was nearly non existant. Pulled the vacuum line off the brake booster and plugged the line. Vacuum came right up. I did paint the booster when I got it from rock auto.
The car never felt like it stopped well, so I guess the booster leaks and does not function to provide boost. Not sure if I'll try to assemble it correctly or just get a replacement and is this one as a core.

Replaced the passenger front caliper and hose since it was hanging up. Hope that solved the hang up problem.

Also noticed an oil leak while I was running the car checking the vacuum. Only thing that was different is when the car is backed in the garage it tilts to the front. Pulled in it tilts to the rear.

Anyhow, glad I found out the brake booster isn't holding vacuum and I'll start there with replacement....
IMG_7550.JPG

I am now convinced I don't have the right gasket between the new booster and new master cylinder and that is where the leak is...

Curious to know which cop wheels you initially tried out. Where they 15x7's or 15x8's? Or a combination?

-
Back