Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
72blu, I have seen you give some great advice on this site, but 275-60-15 does not work on a 74 Duster without modification of some sort. You will cause people a lot of headaches with that advice. 255's maybe but that's really pushing it. No disrespect intended

72blu, I have seen you give some great advice on this site, but 275-60-15 does not work on a 74 Duster without modification of some sort. You will cause people a lot of headaches with that advice. 255's maybe but that's really pushing it. No disrespect intended

Hey, maybe they won't work on your Duster. Body tolerances on these cars weren't great.

But they fit on my '74 Duster. I had 12" from spring to quarter flange before I moved anything. I know for a fact that I can fit an 11" section width into a 12" space.

And they fit on this guys unmodified '74 Post your wheel and tire combos.
20170529_141256-jpg.jpg

And this guy's unmodified '74 Post your wheel and tire combos.
img_0120-jpg.jpg

And this guy has them on a '73 Duster (not any different than a '74 for tire clearance) 73 duster 275/60/15????

And this guy has them on a Dart Sport (not sure what year, doesn't matter, all the same) 275's on a dart sport
image-jpeg.jpg

So, yes, they will fit quite a few Dusters without modification. Those are all 74's or 73's too, I didn't even list any 70-72 cars even though they have the same clearance. But there's a bunch of guys with 70-72 Dusters/Demons running 275's without modifications as well. It's always a stretch to say any tire combo that pushes the limits will fit ALL of the cars of that year/bodystyle, and it's certainly possible they won't fit on your car, but they do in fact fit a great many '74 Dusters.

I has 275/60's on my 72 Duster with zero modifications. No problemo.

Exactly. And a '72 is no different for rear tire clearance than a '74, or a '70, or a '76. All of the '70-76 Duster/Demon/Dart Sport cars all have the same rear tubs and quarter spacing. The backspace changes because the rear ends used were different widths from the 8 3/4 to the 7.25 and 8.25" rear axles, and BBP vs SBP etc. But the spring to quarter distance should be pretty much the same, allowing for factory body tolerances of course. It's definitely tight, and on a car that ended up on the small side of the body tolerance it might not work with a given ride height, but the majority of those cars should be able to run a 275/60/15 if the backspace is correct for the car.

Looks great.
As I stated before, 275 fit mine with no mods, and factory steel wheels.

Looks great.
As I stated before, 275 fit mine with no mods, and factory steel wheels.
I'm sure there are few ways to get them on there. But I really do like what I'm seeing with the set up that's on her now. Particularly from this angle.
IMG_7212.JPG

Hard to take good pics when she's in the garage due to a wall that's close to the left rear of the car. I am very content with the combo.
Now on to the interior!

Hey, I'll be in Princeton in a few hours. We could toss the seat in it and see if those tires have any traction...:poke:

Hey, I'll be in Princeton in a few hours. We could toss the seat in it and see if those tires have any traction...:poke:
I'm not sure about these new tires, but Misty could easily break the old 255s loose and make some noise...

I'm getting soft in my old age. I just ordered the kick panels preloaded with the alpine 4x6 speakers. People are going to think I won the lotttery...
What the hell is happening here?
:mob:

I'm getting soft in my old age. I just ordered the kick panels preloaded with the alpine 4x6 speakers. People are going to think I won the lotttery...
What the hell is happening here?
:mob:

I been thinking about them for a few years, I bet they are a nice addition, thought about ordering some myself, but...
bought a few more project cars, I did work on the duster tonight for an hour or so.

I put the dash back in and decided not to replace the speaker. My plan was to feed whatever radio I put in the dash into the sound system. I was going to put the front speakers in the doors but I got so many comments not to cut the door panels. Just buy the kick space speakers they all said. I guess an out of the box solution won't be so bad. Got some nice 6x9s for the back and I nice sub for the trunk

I found a place online where they can modify stock radio and put Bluetooth in it. Think I'm going to check into it this winter.

I am having problems finding the nut that holds the steering wheel on the column shaft. The threaded part of the shaft is larger than 1/2". Tony DeFeo sent me a nut and washer and it is obviously too small. The washer won't even fit on. I don't have calipers but if I snug an adjustable wrench on the threads it's easily a 1/16 bigger than a 1/2 bolt. The nut tony sent me although fine thread will begin to thread on a 1/2 bolt...

Last edited:
Pm your address I will mail you a 9/16-18.
I clearly marked the box I have mopar steering wheel nut.

Re thought and repainted my grille to be a little less blacked out with some added argent on the bottom and around the parking lights. Also switched in the polished headlight bezels. I like it like this a lot more...
IMG_7220.JPG
IMG_7221.JPG
IMG_7222.JPG

-
Back