Favorite WWII Plane?

-
Know what it is ??

IMG_0380.jpg

I don't think posted pics are necessary so let me offer a salute to two of the most important aircraft and their crews: Enola Gay and Bock's Car.

"Bock's Car" is in the USAF Museum at Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH. This is a 'must-see' museum if you enjoy aircraft. I was there a couple of years ago giving a presentation, made some spare time and went through the museum. It was absolutely incredible. I understand it's bigger now.
They also have a separate hangar with presidential aircraft like FDR's B-25 with the lift to get his wheelchair inside, and the 707 that brought JFK's body back from Dallas.
They also have the sole surviving XB-70 which is an incredible airplane, considering its design dates from the early '60s.

ECN-792.jpg

I liked the P-47N for long range. B-25 bomber and Me-262.
P-40 was a bit dated for WWII. But they do look good. And maybe a Betty

hi, I like the p-51 D , its the most advanced fighter of its day. My dad crewed on B 17 here in the states. he was a mechanic on them. later on he went over to fighters, he worked on the ones with the allision V 12. his favorite was the P38, it was the only V 12 fighter, that could take off at full throttle had left and right hand rotating engines. all the others were limited to 65% power on take off.the torque of the engine would cause then to roll over and crash. they told the russian pilots in great falls montana, not to use full power, they did, and buried lots rusky boys in montana. they were flying the p39 and P63 bell.

Mine is the P38 Lightning. Crazy but inspired design, super fast and very heavily armed. the Germans called it the "Fork Tailed Devil". :snakeman:

This is my favorite too, half way because my grandfather was in the army 5th airforce as an airplane mechanic. Who did happend to work on Richard Bong's P38, he even said bong took him up a few times, i believe in a diff plane, but still pretty awesome!

That last awesome pic of the B-17 is the Confederate Air Force's "Texas Raiders", its housed not but 10 min from my parents house @ west houston airport

First choice is the B-17. I wouldn't be here without it. My dad was a B-17 navigator with the 457th Bomb Group out of Peterborough, England. The photo has the tail markings of his unit. The B-17 the CAF used to have at Harlingen, TX was right behind his plane on the assembly line.

After seeing the PBS special on it, the Horten HO-229 is my second choice. The fuselage and wings were built out of wood. It was nearly invisible to radar. Experts on PBS said that by the time they would have shown up on radar, they would have had time to bomb coastal installations before a scrambled squadron could arrive.

b17cafsmA.jpg

Ho229.jpg

-
Back