FBO's black HEI ignition box

-
Brain surgeon.
The business end of a mag [ or any ign system ] is the spark current & energy output, not the primary current.
Millers 4 amp mag produces 58mA of spark current & 253 mJ of energy.

The 12 mag that he is trying to discredit produces 141mA [ converted from peak to RMS ] of sec current & 300 mJ of energy. Spark duration is 26* of crank rotation compared to 17* for Miller's mag.

Also, RMS is NOT average current/voltage in electrical parlance. Average is 0.636 of peak, RMS is 0.707 of peak.

One wonders if Miller gets this wrong, what else has he got wrong.
Read Post #125 & learn....

Figure it out fool. It’s EXACTLY as I said it was.

I guarantee that Spud Miller knows more about magnetos and ignitions than you’ll ever learn.

Its sad you are so arrogant you refuse to learn.

I did figure it out, dope & the numbers are in post# 125. Which numbers are wrong?

I did figure it out, dope & the numbers are in post# 125. Which numbers are wrong?

Damn dude. You are one think moron.

What I said was MSD FUCKED with the way they rate the PRIMARY amperage of their mags as a marketing tool.

Thats exactly what Miller said because he is dealing with idiots like you every day who think an MSD 20 (now the 12) makes more power than a Mallory 5 amp mag.

Think before you post.

Oh, I do think......
Try it sometime..........
Miller is doing his bit of 'creative' thinking to push his product.
The fact that MSD use their primary amperage because it looks bigger is neither here nor there. Just advertising. What matters is what the spark plug sees & the MSD produces more current & more energy than Miller's mag. Get IT now?
If you knew anything about magnetos, which you don't, you would know that there are a myriad of combinations of magnets, magnet material, turns ratios & designs that affect final output v input.

Oh, I do think......
Try it sometime..........
Miller is doing his bit of 'creative' thinking to push his product.
The fact that MSD use their primary amperage because it looks bigger is neither here nor there. Just advertising. What matters is what the spark plug sees & the MSD produces more current & more energy than Miller's mag. Get IT now?
If you knew anything about magnetos, which you don't, you would know that there are a myriad of combinations of magnets, magnet material, turns ratios & designs that affect final output v input.

MSD and mallory BOTH use primary amperage.

I know, you’re smart, I’m stupid. You’re handsome, I’m ugly.

You are just too stupid to bother with. Keep lying and making **** up. It’s all you can do.

I am not lying, nor making up ****.
YOU INTRODUCED MILLER TO THIS THREAD.

Naturally he is pushing his product, I would do the same. But he shot himself in the foot, both feet actually....

These are the FACTS. Do you know how to separate facts from BS???????????

- he is very careful not to mention MSD by name, might get sued for implying their product is underrated.
- according to Miller MSD uses RMS. No proof other than Miller's statement.
- makes a big deal out of his mag only generating 4 amps. Who cares? What is important is what the spark plug tips get & with the MSD mag, they get more current, more energy & 50% more spark duration. The primary mag current is generated internally; the only downside is if it makes more HP to generate the current, & that info is not provided. Even if the MSD takes more hp [ to spin it ] , it would be tiny, maybe 1-2 hp, but it is more than likely to make more power because of the better spark.
- Miller seems like a nice guy, but he has tried to discredit the MSD mag with comments like it has a smaller coil than his unit uses. These are acceleration type magnetos that use a separate coil. They still have a primary & sec coils inside the mag. The configuration, turns ratio, etc will impact the external coil requirements & implying the MSD mag is not as good because it uses a smaller coil is a non-issue because the MSD puts out more spark, end of story.

I am not lying, nor making up ****.
YOU INTRODUCED MILLER TO THIS THREAD.

Naturally he is pushing his product, I would do the same. But he shot himself in the foot, both feet actually....

These are the FACTS. Do you know how to separate facts from BS???????????

- he is very careful not to mention MSD by name, might get sued for implying their product is underrated.
- according to Miller MSD uses RMS. No proof other than Miller's statement.
- makes a big deal out of his mag only generating 4 amps. Who cares? What is important is what the spark plug tips get & with the MSD mag, they get more current, more energy & 50% more spark duration. The primary mag current is generated internally; the only downside is if it makes more HP to generate the current, & that info is not provided. Even if the MSD takes more hp [ to spin it ] , it would be tiny, maybe 1-2 hp, but it is more than likely to make more power because of the better spark.
- Miller seems like a nice guy, but he has tried to discredit the MSD mag with comments like it has a smaller coil than his unit uses. These are acceleration type magnetos that use a separate coil. They still have a primary & sec coils inside the mag. The configuration, turns ratio, etc will impact the external coil requirements & implying the MSD mag is not as good because it uses a smaller coil is a non-issue because the MSD puts out more spark, end of story.

Hey loser, now you want to criticize Spud Miller? Idiot.

Miller does ALL mags not just Mallory. Call him and order a MSD mag from him.

BTW, show me your magneto test bench. Oh that’s right, you don’t have one.

Take a blow loser.

And I’m still 100% correct. Mallory used the industry standard to measure PRIMARY output, just like everyone else.

MSD chose to use a method no one used because it’s at best deceitful.

The MSD 12, which is the old 20 as far as I can tell is the same output as a 5 amp Mallory mag.

Just like I said and I PROVED that.

Take your lying *** out the door.

You have proved NOTHING & neither has Miller. Same old, same old...

Miller had a vested interest in his video, of course he would say & do things to support his claims. His claims are NOT facts, they are merely his claims....
- he had an MSD magneto in his hand, so he had one available.
- he tried to make out his 4 amp mag was better than the MSD 12 amp, which his specs at the end of the video showing a lower output than the published specs for MSD. So not better.
- Miller claimed the MSD current rating was peak amps. He showed a Fluke DVM showing 4.53 amps for HIS mag. Flukes measure RMS. Why didn't he show a Fluke reading for the MSD, he had a DVM & the MSD???????????????????????????????????????? If the MSD was 12 amps peak, it would have showed ~8.5amps. [ I have the same Fluke meter, it cam measure 10 amps ]. So why didn't he? That was the crux of his video & would proved the point. But he didn't. Hmmmm.

You have proved NOTHING & neither has Miller. Same old, same old...

Miller had a vested interest in his video, of course he would say & do things to support his claims. His claims are NOT facts, they are merely his claims....
- he had an MSD magneto in his hand, so he had one available.
- he tried to make out his 4 amp mag was better than the MSD 12 amp, which his specs at the end of the video showing a lower output than the published specs for MSD. So not better.
- Miller claimed the MSD current rating was peak amps. He showed a Fluke DVM showing 4.53 amps for HIS mag. Flukes measure RMS. Why didn't he show a Fluke reading for the MSD, he had a DVM & the MSD???????????????????????????????????????? If the MSD was 12 amps peak, it would have showed ~8.5amps. [ I have the same Fluke meter, it cam measure 10 amps ]. So why didn't he? That was the crux of his video & would proved the point. But he didn't. Hmmmm.

You hypocrite. MSD doesn’t have a vested interest in lying.

You can’t be THAT stupid.

It's like we have a narcissist tug of war going on, but please don't stop I'm learning stuff with every post! :lol:

It's like we have a narcissist tug of war going on, but please don't stop I'm learning stuff with every post! :lol:

And THAT’S what counts.

Sometimes you have to take the gloves off and hash it out.

And good on Bewy for hanging in there. He’s a good sport. Wrong a lot, but a good sport lol.

Some people are way too committed to a manufacturer, like this thread. The Chevy-Ford battle has long raged, with Mopar and AMC guys smugly smiling in the background, though more interesting to stick-a-toe into Tesla fandom. Something about re-landing rockets, boring tunnels, and other things those fans don't even understand.

RB,
Post #134, your quote: 'MSD doesn't haver a vested interest in lying'.
Huh?
Earlier in this thread you accused MSD of using fudged figures in rating their magnetos to make them look better against the competition....

It's like we have a narcissist tug of war going on
1672277414447.png

RB,
Post #134, your quote: 'MSD doesn't haver a vested interest in lying'.
Huh?
Earlier in this thread you accused MSD of using fudged figures in rating their magnetos to make them look better against the competition....

Yes. Glad you figured that out.

So you have forgiven MSD?

Nope. I’d rather find used Mallory stuff than put MSD garbage on my ****.

BTW, in the last two years I’ve had THREE MSD boxes fail on my test bench. They warrantied them but junk is junk at any price.

Well......I'm not sure how this got so far off topic.... but any who's I no longer own this black box.

-
Back