Fell out of the attic and broke my foot

-

Righty Tighty

Blame it on the dog
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Gosh DAMMIT!!! I heard a funny sound coming from the HVAC unit in my attic, so I went to investigate. Upon exiting, my feet couldn’t catch the ladder and down I went. My left foot caught one of the lower rungs of the ladder and SNAP. Broken metacarpal.

I laid down waiting for the pain to go away, but after a while, I realized it was something more. I hopped to my Cuda (because it was the closest and also because it’s lower than my truck) and drove to the emergency room. I was there for about 4 hours, and it was interesting watching the wildlife come and go.

Finally, they got me in and told me I broke my foot. NO ****?? I coulda told you that by the snapping sound my foot made when it hit the ladder. Maybe I should be a doctor.

First time in 46 years that I’ve had to rely on crutches, and let me tell you THIS SUCKS.

F6AC5602-604D-477B-8A65-8308CE856388.jpeg

941EA57B-9EB6-4D71-9FE0-674831014074.jpeg

So now Righty Tighty is Lefty Loosey?
Sorry, could not resist. Take it easy. At our age those bones heal slower.
BTW, we have that exact tile in our Kitchen.

I absolutely love the humor here!!

Yes, it hurt when it happened and it still hurts. They offered pain meds, but at that point I just wanted to go home. Much easier to deal with pain in the comfort of your own home….who cares about drugs.

What I’m most upset about is the fact I’ll be out of work for a while.

Jes duct tape it up and keep on goin. LOL

2 sympathy stories...

#1 like you I was coming out of the attic and stupidly leaned my ladder against the wall rather than opening it.

It slipped and down I went BUT... both my arms were still in the attic and the opening was not much wider than my body.

So there I am hanging from my armpits, calling for my wife to put the ladder back up.

black and blue but nothing worse.

#2 changed a real truck tire (something by 16.5) so with left hand under the bottom of the tire I give it a lift and guidevit onto the studs with my right hand at the top.

RIP

A sound I will never forget.

left arm is no longer moving, wtf????

it is so weird seeing your arm at your side and thinking ok move arm move but it just sits there.

turns out I ripped the muscle in your elbow put off the bone.

it is the muscle that assists in rotating your hand 180 deg face up to face down.

no pain, it was he weirdest thing I have ever experienced

got the muscle reattached to the bicept. Looks funny but it works

You are so lucky! Think of all the cute girls that you will be hugging as they sympathize with your pain. You should work on your story though, make it more interesting.

my condolences! i took very low speed not nasty at all spill on motorcycle years ago and broke three in my left foot.

crutches are the absolute pits. i got on a cane as quick as i could and that was at least tolerable.

i don't know the severity of your situation, but if they flag you for rehab don't mess around and do that shizz and take it serious. i thought everything was fine and could just walk it off like a tough guy after the fact and wound up taking three times as long to come back around to walking properly without pain.

I've broken a couple bones in my life & it's a PITA but, you could have hurt yourself WAY worse so be glad for that, trust me I know.
A broken bone in the foot sucks, but it WILL heal. Good luck & keep movin'.

Bummer about the "mis-step". I'm guessing you're even luckier your cuda is an automatic. Imagine attempting to push the clutch down or quick shifting and "beating" the synchros?

Good thing the car wasn't manual shift . One positive thing is no " Honey do " list and you could milk it and have her serve you your needs.

Let me know if you want to sell the boot and crutches when your done with them. I'm sure my wife would fall for it and life would be easy for the summer.

Sorry to hear about that. We all have our moments.

I have sprained both ankles 2 times each over the years.

It depends how bad they blow up. Standard routine is 2 pairs of socks, help support with Ace Bandage wrap, then velcro on the plastic ankle support brace.

Next step is to find a boot (snowmobile boot) that it all fits into and get back at it.

Dr. told me many years ago: "Let pain be your guide".

Makes a big difference to get some support down there so you can set the crutches aside.

☆☆☆☆☆

Yowch, sorry to read! Luckily you dont have to worry about crutches slipping on snow lol.
Be well, remember to get a bell for the wife.

Quit sniffing glue when using a ladder...really hope you heal soon...

-
Back