Fell out of the attic and broke my foot

-
Haha, I've been cooped up for a few days, so as long as she's a "SHE," I'll be happy to look...

Calf is hurting? Like a cramp maybe? If you develop a little cough out of your chest, get checked for a blood clot in that calf. Sometimes people will get a DVT after a significant injury like you had.

Thanks. I’m definitely paying attention to all of my body systems right now, and since my leg has been immobilized, been trying to move it periodically a couple times a day.

I do “knee to chest” exercises and flutter kicks, in addition to stretches.

The calf pain is more like muscle soreness, I almost think it might be from the boot being too tight.

Here’s my cockpit — pay attention to detail…
839EA1FB-E037-4017-A3DD-0964109B95E6.jpeg

The swelling has actually gone down, but the bruising is just taking its place.
View attachment 1716098031

View attachment 1716098030
That looks pretty basic/normal as it is healing. I have had the whole top of my foot and toes go black and blue like that a week after the sprain.

Like some blood ruptured out into the surrounding tissue. Did not hurt any worse, just what it had to go through during healing.

So yeah, get the weight off of it, keep it elevated above your heart, watch some good movies, read some good books.

2 pairs of socks helps if you need to get around. Takes a little time. Just unplug for a while, life will be ready for you to rip again when it is healed up.

☆☆☆☆☆

Well, the orthopedic surgeon didn't have the good news I was hoping for.

My injury is called a "Lisfranc fracture," and she said I have "lots" of fractures. Surgery to add plates and screws, and 8 weeks post-op down time. I'll tell y'all one thing, I sure don't half-*** anything around here. Fractured 2nd metatarsal, cuneiform bones fractured in multiple places, fractured medial malleolus, one fractured phalange, and on top of that, sprained my ankle! No wonder my foot hurts...

Doc wants to fuse my 2nd metatarsal to my intermediate cuneiform bone.

It'll also help if she's hot.

And yes, she was VERY pretty!! I think I'm gonna have her sign my cast. :thumbsup:

That looks pretty basic/normal as it is healing. I have had the whole top of my foot and toes go black and blue like that a week after the sprain.

Like some blood ruptured out into the surrounding tissue. Did not hurt any worse, just what it had to go through during healing.

So yeah, get the weight off of it, keep it elevated above your heart, watch some good movies, read some good books.

2 pairs of socks helps if you need to get around. Takes a little time. Just unplug for a while, life will be ready for you to rip again when it is healed up.

☆☆☆☆☆
You were right, doc said the swelling and bruising was normal for the type of injury.

I assume I'm like most of you when I say it's hard to just sit around, so unplugging is going to be a big change. BUT, I need to keep a good attitude and listen to the advice given. There are some things I've been putting off that I can do while sitting on the couch, so at least there's that. I just HATE being out of work. My crew had two fires yesterday, and sent pictures in the group chat. I should've been there alongside them.

Well, the orthopedic surgeon didn't have the good news I was hoping for.

My injury is called a "Lisfranc fracture," and she said I have "lots" of fractures. Surgery to add plates and screws, and 8 weeks post-op down time. I'll tell y'all one thing, I sure don't half-*** anything around here. Fractured 2nd metatarsal, cuneiform bones fractured in multiple places, fractured medial malleolus, one fractured phalange, and on top of that, sprained my ankle! No wonder my foot hurts...

Doc wants to fuse my 2nd metatarsal to my intermediate cuneiform bone.

And yes, she was VERY pretty!! I think I'm gonna have her sign my cast. :thumbsup:
Break something else!

Well take it easy. You don't want to screw THIS up!!! Good luck!!

Thanks Del. That’s pretty much what the ortho surgeon said. Take it easy and make sure I don’t do anything stupid that might get in the way of my recovery.

She must be a FABO member because they reassigned me to a different surgeon! Now my procedure has been pushed back a week….which also pushes back my time out of work.

She must be a FABO member because they reassigned me to a different surgeon! Now my procedure has been pushed back a week….which also pushes back my time out of work.

Bet that will heal up fine on it's own. Doesn't look very bad and breaks heal faster than sprains.

Keep a boot on it, stay off it, let pain be your guide.

If it hurts, don't do that. Not rocket science.

Time heals all wounds.

☆☆☆☆☆

Bet that will heal up fine on it's own. Doesn't look very bad and breaks heal faster than sprains.

Keep a boot on it, stay off it, let pain be your guide.

If it hurts, don't do that. Not rocket science.

Time heals all wounds.

☆☆☆☆☆
I don’t know if you saw the post where I listed the actual fractures, but they will be fusing 3 of my metatarsals to their respective cuneiform bones. The X-ray doesn’t show all of the fractures.

The surgeon said if we let the bones heal on their own, I’ll likely be dealing with arthritis and more problems down the road, including corrective surgery.

I heard once that people aren't supposed to fall out of the attic. Sorry about your injury...that isn't going to be fun for a while.

Gosh DAMMIT!!! I heard a funny sound coming from the HVAC unit in my attic, so I went to investigate. Upon exiting, my feet couldn’t catch the ladder and down I went. My left foot caught one of the lower rungs of the ladder and SNAP. Broken metacarpal.

I laid down waiting for the pain to go away, but after a while, I realized it was something more. I hopped to my Cuda (because it was the closest and also because it’s lower than my truck) and drove to the emergency room. I was there for about 4 hours, and it was interesting watching the wildlife come and go.

Finally, they got me in and told me I broke my foot. NO ****?? I coulda told you that by the snapping sound my foot made when it hit the ladder. Maybe I should be a doctor.

First time in 46 years that I’ve had to rely on crutches, and let me tell you THIS SUCKS.

View attachment 1716096895

View attachment 1716096896
****, Im not even 46 lol

I heard once that people aren't supposed to fall out of the attic. Sorry about your injury...that isn't going to be fun for a while.
Either that or I just did it wrong, WAY wrong...haha. When people ask how I broke my foot, I just tell them, "Kickin' too much ***, I s'pose." That always gets a chuckle.

And thanks for saying that, not gonna be fun but I'll try to catch up on things I've been procrastinating on around the house.

Either that or I just did it wrong, WAY wrong...haha. When people ask how I broke my foot, I just tell them, "Kickin' too much ***, I s'pose." That always gets a chuckle.

And thanks for saying that, not gonna be fun but I'll try to catch up on things I've been procrastinating on around the house.
I like that attitude !
I think it usually ends up bad when you can't see to control the landing ( just trying to imagine in my head) at 40 years old I had to jump off of a roof about 15 ft to the ground. I thought about it for a second and chose the right place to jump a very taken care of raised flower bed lol. I then put my ladder back up and got back on the roof.

Definitely helps when you can plan/anticipate your landing. I was hanging out of the attic access hole blindly trying to touch my feet down onto the ladder. Stupid me doesn't have a tall enough A-frame for the attic. Everything after that happened pretty fast, but somehow my feet missed, and down I went.

I don't think it would've been this bad if my foot hadn't caught the bottom rung. But it did, and tweaked my foot in a direction it didn't wanna go. Apparently, I did some damage to the drywall too?

The knee scooter I’ve been using has tiny hard rubber wheels that catch on every single tiny pebble. Anyone remember trying to skateboard on a sidewalk and catching the cracks or pebbles? It’s exactly like that.

So, I decided to “upgrade” this thing. Swapped on some 10-inch pneumatic tires on this bad boy, and man does she roll!!

Gonna do the rears, just need to find the right size so I can still use the brakes.

1F97606F-07D1-4A0B-8A9B-5D8841AAC06F.jpeg

8FF02AED-9D4A-4EB2-A1A7-77DD611C0731.jpeg

Now I need to find some “chromies.”
BCD3AA43-8A03-4C67-9A1E-F5C088B08535.jpeg

Tell um you broke it off in somebody's *** and they can be next. lol

Surgery complete, now on the 8-week-long road to recovery. The surgeon fused my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd metatarsals to their respective cuneiform bones using a bone graft from my heel. That means no plates, screws, or hardware. He said the stem cells from the bone graft will grow between the bones to be fused and harden, so that’s how they do it. Pretty neat stuff.

He gave me some nutritional tips to help the bone grow and heal, and I was very disappointed to see that beer and pizza weren’t on the list. I think he just forgot to mention them.

They did a nerve block, so I can’t feel a darn thing from the knee down; it’s like it’s someone else’s leg. I’m not looking forward to the pain when the nerve block wears off…
EAB09D18-7484-4F9B-A6A7-EF9477FE3065.jpeg

-
Back