Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
Thanks Leanna. He didn't leave any bare metal at the dash attachment points. JDMopar gave me a heads up about cleaning off the finish for a good ground. I'm anxious to get my engine finished so that I can hang the air cleaner that you finished for me.

Thanks Leanna. He didn't leave any bare metal at the dash attachment points. JDMopar gave me a heads up about cleaning off the finish for a good ground. I'm anxious to get my engine finished so that I can hang the air cleaner that you finished for me.

Yeah, after I saw your update with the dash pic I read back a little further and saw you got some good advice there. Way to go JDM!! :-D I'm happy to see you getting the beastie together -- all that work will soooooooooo be worth it.

I will be loading up my engine components and taking them to the machine shop on Sat. I will be posting more info on the engine once I hear back from them. I'm still thinking about how to rebuild the engine and I probably will be asking for some input from my fellow FABO members.

All my engine parts were dropped off at the machine shop today. Can't wait to get it back all clean and fresh!

Wow, that car is gonna be awesome, very nice job and attention to detail :glasses7:

I will be using the stock heads, intake and AVS carb. Been thinking about using a retro-fit hydraulic roller cam and lifters.

WoW! Nice work. Maybe you can bring it to the Nats someday for others to see. Thanks

Looks great! Keep it coming...I went to get my 71 340 Duster back on the road a year ago and am getting close. Your project has given me many ideas for when I do a complete restoration. What did you do with your heater box? Mine 's not leaking, but at 40+ years ops I'm thinking it's time to pull it. Lots of rust under my dash so it's coming out too.

Absolutely beautiful!!! I'm not a Duster man myself, but that car is gonna be awesome!! Great attention to detail, and kudos to the bride for helping with opening the house, and bureau for support and linens!! Keep up the good work!! Geof

Thanks for the encouragement guys. The heater box was pretty easy. I took lots of pics while I disassembled it. Rusty internal parts were soaked in Evaporust to get them nice and clean. I used a DMT heater box kit.......it was excellent! The box was washed with soap and water and them sprayed with SEM Color Coat in semi-gloss clear. A local electrical repair shop took the motor apart, cleaned it and painted it for me for about 40 bucks. Our office supply company made me the part number stamp for the finishing touch.

That's awesome...great job!

Looking forward to see what you do with the engine.

I noticed you have a radiator overflow on the pax side of the radiator... is that original? I bought my car in 81 when it was 10 years old and there was no overflow. I'd like to have one as when I started it a couple weeks ago water came out the overflow before the thermostat opened...do you know if that's normal? I had drained all water and had refilled the radiator pretty full.

Radiator overflow tanks were not available until later.....I think around '73. I know it's not original but my dad and I added it to the car back around 1980. I weighed my options as to whether I should keep it or remove it. I think I will keep it because of found memories I have working on it with my dad who passed away in 1984. I also think that it just is more environmentally friendly.

Good call...I'd like to add one to my car. Friend in Vegas claims it solved his Mach 1 overheating problem by capturing and returning the fluid. I like the environmental friendly part too. Keep up the great work...you've got me motivated to go find my 30 year old pics of Mr Duster! Mark

Just got some pics of my 340 block back from the machine shop. There's nothing sexier than a naked hunk of cast iron !! I can't wait to get it all back after the machining is done. She's gonna look purdy with a new coat of orange paint.

block2-jpg.1714676545

View attachment block2.jpg

block-jpg.1714676546

View attachment Block.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice pic of the mill. Looks like it was just cast from the factory! Keep up the good work!

I waited until Year One had a 30% off coupon to order a new dash harness for the Duster. I've heard good reviews on M&H harnesses and Year One was the only game in town. My old harness had 2 melted connectors. I've decided to update all the major harnesses to help avoid all my hard work from going up in smoke! The M&H harness was well made and all the connectors looked factory. It was a simple plug and play procedure that looks factory.

pict2077-jpg.1714677530

View attachment PICT2077.jpg

pict2079-jpg.1714677531

View attachment PICT2079.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That car is a lot like my dad's car. He has had his since 1976. His is originally Rallye Red inside and out with a black vinyl top. His is also a stripe delete with body side molding. He changed the outside color to black in 1980 and has been that way ever since. He did keep the red interior.

Also, the performance gauge was available in 1971. My brother had a 340 4-speed car that had one. It was an old street racer from up north that only had 18000 miles on body. He got rid of it a couple years ago. It went to Maryland I think.

You do great work. Keep it up. Can't wait to see more.

Barry.

68383GTS I would say that your Duster certainly has that retro look. I like the color of your Twister....sharp looking car. All you need are a pair of traction bars LOL. I still have my 14" Cragars from the late 70's. I must say that the 15 inch fill the wheel wells better.
I'm thinking that I will either go with 15 inch Rallye or 5 spokes.

Sorry no traction bars,side pipes,or CB radios for my duster.....LOL Still going to add on a vintage tach,possible steering wheel,valve covers,and a few other goodies.

-
Back