Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
I got a couple pics back from my paint and body man today. Looks like it's time to get down to metal work!! Keith Shue of Superior Classic Auto Restoration in East Berlin, PA has started to get to work on the Duster. I'm anxious to see the progress as time goes on. I'll update the thread as I get more info.

download-1-jpg.1714677976

View attachment download-1.jpg

download-jpg.1714677977

View attachment download.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Even though 340 automatic cars were suppose to have single point distributors from the factory, my car had a dual point distributor. The car has been in our family since 1975 and I have no reason to believe that it wasn't the original distributor. I replaced it with a Direct Connection unit back in 1979. The original unit was worn and I did not keep it. \
I purchased a NOS dual point Prestolite back in 1995 for $90! I'm going to switch out the points with a Pertronix electronic ignition to keep the engine compartment looking as stock as possible. Santa made an early delivery to my house today.

pict2093-jpg.1714680989

View attachment PICT2093.jpg

Started working on restoring my wiper motor this weekend. As you can see, the original motor was looking pretty rough around the edges! The motor has been disassembled and cleaned. I'll have the local shop check out the "innards" to make sure it is OK before assembly. More pics to follow when I'm finished.

pict2102_fixed-jpg.1714685808

View attachment PICT2102_fixed.jpg

pict2103_fixed-jpg.1714685809

View attachment PICT2103_fixed.jpg

That's impressive work! That is going to be a blast to drive.

PS: Did you fix the brake shoes yet? :-D

Didn't fix the brake shoes yet.........but it is on my list of things to do. My garage isn't heated and it's been a little chilly around here the last week. Decided to stay inside and do small components and stay warm.

Dropped off my wiper motor at the local electric shop to make sure it's in good working order. Once I get it back from them, I will assemble it and do the final painting. I also took the starter to a local shop to refurbish it. Should be done in about a week.
I worked on the rear seat belts today. I feel like it was a productive day. The belts were washed and dried. I then removed the latch cover, stripped the old paint, and applied SEM trim paint. I'm very pleased with the results. I will work on the front lap and shoulder belts tomorrow. Here's some before and after pics.
I'm sure the front belts will have more fading from the sun. I might have to get some Rit dye to give them more color. Has anybody used the interior paint from Herb's that was featured in Mopar Muscle? Thought that it might be another option for adding color.

pict2127_fixed-jpg.1714687217

View attachment PICT2127_fixed.jpg

pict2143_fixed-jpg.1714687218

View attachment PICT2143_fixed.jpg

The RIT dye works great on the straps. You just have to be careful with it around the tags. Also, make sure the belts are completely dry before placing back on the seats. Although they may feel dry, They can also bleed over to the seat vinyl if not waiting long enough. Speaking from experience here. LOL.
We dyed the ones on my dads car about 20 years ago, and they still look great, nice and black. The only thing we done wrong was hurried and put them back in car. Not pretty on red vinyl when black transferred to the red. This was way before we completely redone the entire car.

Barry, thanks for the input on the RIT dye.I have the front belts soaking as I write this. I'll give them a good scrubbing and see how they look. I'm not worried about the tags as mine are pretty tattered.

Thought you all might like to see what 43 years of seat belt dirt looks like! I was amazed at how much grunge came off with a little elbow grease. Ended up scrubbing and soaking 3 times until the water was clear. Now it's time to remove the latch cover, strip them and repaint.

pict2154_fixed-jpg.1714687392

View attachment PICT2154_fixed.jpg

I was taking inventory of my stored parts today. I sent my unsilenced air cleaner off to Leanna several years ago to work her powder coating magic on it. I have to say that the finished product is beautiful! I can't wait to put it on top of my completed engine. I also have a 1970 NOS woodgrain steering wheel that I bought at Carlisle around 1980. Although it wasn't an option on the 1970 Duster, I think that it would really look great with the Rallye dash and deluxe woodgrain door panels.

pict2185-jpg.1714691162

View attachment PICT2185.jpg

pict2187-jpg.1714691163

View attachment PICT2187.jpg

Wow Kevin, that looks awesome with the new decal!!! Your car is really coming along and your vision for it is outstanding. I can't wait to see how it all comes together (I know -- neither can YOU!!). Thank you for letting me be a small part of it. :-D

You are doing a fantastic job there! Always good to see another one saved:thumrigh: Will we see it in Carlisle July?? Subscribed!

Thanks for the support guys. I don't think I'll be done in time to bring the old girl to Carlisle this July........maybe next year. Working on this car has been therapeutic for me. It's been a difficult year for me and my family. Working on this car has given me a chance to go to my "happy place."

Great to see your progress!! Its hard to explain to people that working on old cars is therapeutic, but it is! Keep up the great work!

Finding great survivor cars are fun & very educational but I do miss the hands on process & satisfaction of building one from the ground up...hmmmm, maybe it's time to have fun again! Have fun & enjoy your build! :thumrigh:

Even though I had finished the wiper motor the other week, I just wasn't happy with the resistor and mounting bracket. I thought that they looked a little "tired." I made a call to Kim at Passion4Mopar and she was able to hook me up with a resistor and nicely plated bracket.
I also bought a can of Herb's interior paint to see what I could do with some rough kick panels I had. The kick panel I worked on was from a junked car. I did several light coat of Herb's paint followed by a couple coats of SEM Semi-Flexible Clear. I think it made a world of difference. Very easy to apply.

pict2203_fixed-jpg.1714695707

View attachment PICT2203_fixed.jpg

pict2197_fixed-jpg.1714695708

View attachment PICT2197_fixed.jpg

pict2209_fixed-jpg.1714695709

View attachment PICT2209_fixed.jpg

looks very nice keep the pics coming

How did you get the scratches out of you kick panels?

I lightly sanded the areas with very fine sandpaper then I went over it with 4-0 steel wool. The panel was thoroughly cleaned and degreased with POR Marine Clean and finally wiped down with acetone.

-
Back