FINALLY... it LIVES....

-

Bill Dedman

bill dedman
Legendary Member
Reaction score
It still doesn't RUN, but it's getting healthy spark, now FINALLY!!!

What was wrong that it had NO spark???

Turns out, the points in that point-type distributor had an affliction that I can't explain, but here's what it was doing: When the points were CLOSED, there was NO electricity passing from the "hot" side ofd the contacts to the other side. NONE. How that is possible, I do not understand; I had filed the contact area of both sides of the points , wiped off all the filings (loose stuff that resulted from the abrasive) and gapped them to .015".

I set up a test light to check continuity, not expecting in a million years to find that there was NO electricity passing between them when the were closed.

Could NOT believe my eyes, but a new set of points worked as it should, and all of a sudden, the make/break function (now operating correctly) had my coil shooting a really healthy spark, just like it should have all along.

Dang....

Now, all that's left to do is properly time the distributor for correct spark advance, and I can put this sorry episode behind me.

Thanks much to the many people who took the time to educate me on the many facets of the problems that could have caused this anomaly.

50 years of working on cars, and I had never seen anything like this...

Tomorrow, we can break in the cam. What a thrash this was...

But, that's hot rodding....:twisted:

Me first :tongue9:me first :mrgreen: Congratulations Bill :colors:
That was boggling my mind reading that thread #-o
I worry some times buying new part's :pale:, I have spent a few days wondering why!! or what am I not doing!! :pale::pale:
I was doing everything right it was a miss made new part :protest:
I am so glad to see this post and looking forward to your next update :colors:
I wish I could have seen yalls faces when it fired up :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Some great news to hear tonight :rock:

Me first :tongue9:me first :mrgreen: Congratulations Bill :colors:
That was boggling my mind reading that thread #-o
I worry some times buying new part's :pale:, I have spent a few days wondering why!! or what am I not doing!! :pale::pale:
I was doing everything right it was a miss made new part :protest:
I am so glad to see this post and looking forward to your next update :colors:
I wish I could have seen yalls faces when it fired up :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Some great news to hear tonight :rock:

Thanks, Memike!!! Appreciate the support; it means a lot.

I wish I could say we heard it run, but it was mid-90s where we were working on it, and we had been at it for awhile, so a soon as it was obvious that we had good spark, we threw in the towel for the day and agreed to actually START it, tomorrow. Report will follow...

Somebody assembeled those points wrong. They put the copper conducting strip on the wrong side of the insulating washer. Seem it a good bit, actually.

Somebody assembeled those points wrong. They put the copper conducting strip on the wrong side of the insulating washer. Seem it a good bit, actually.

I am sure you're right. But it sure had US fooled for awhile!:disgust:

We ran it at 2,500 rpm for 30 minutes, today, to break in the cam, ran the valves again (.016",) set the timing at 7 degrees initial, adjusted the carb mixture and were delighted to learn that is starts on the first "hit" of the starter. It has 60 pounds oil pressure at a hot idle (600 rpm.) which I'd think is plenty.

The transmission is dumping transmission fluid on the ground in neutral, and it's NOT overfull, so I have no idea... it's a brand new 904 (well, freshly-rebuilt.)

One thing at a time, I guess...:pale:

Glad to hear its going, but did you also find the problem with the other distributer, the electronic one which I thought was in there first. But course I could just be confudeld I get that way some times. lol

COngrats, this is great news. Now do us all a favor and show a video! there are many of us on the turbo fence that want to see all of your hard work paid off first hand!

It's good to hear you got it going... you'll be hooking up that turbo and posting a video tomorrow right? I can't wait to hear this thing run!!!

Bill congrats to u and Freddie sorry to hear about the trans:wack:
I fired the Toad up last Friday but I have a minor problem as well I'm not sure but I'm leaking fluid from the head I don't no if its the hussey head gasket or if I gouged the head to much :mumum:
I'm on vacation for a couple more days but I'm going to take the the top half of the motor apart to get a better look on Fri

I'll keep u posted
Aaron

Glad to hear its going, but did you also find the problem with the other distributer, the electronic one which I thought was in there first. But course I could just be confudeld I get that way some times. lol

In a word, no... but, I am thinking it was just so badly "out of time" that it wouldn't start.... never hit a lick, nor backfired.

THAT is our "good" distributor; a brand-new M-P electronic (magnetic) unit that will be used with an MSD 6-AL II (digital) module, so it will HAVE to work, at some point.

I'll keep this thread posted on it.

Thanks for asking; good question!

It's good to hear you got it going... you'll be hooking up that turbo and posting a video tomorrow right? I can't wait to hear this thing run!!!

In order to (supposedly) "simplify" the cam break-in procedure, we had set this thing up with the original 1bbl carb, and a stock exhaust manifold.

NOW, we have to go back, remove the stock manifolds, bolt on the headers, the 4bbl manifold, and build a COMPLETE fuel system with a fuel cell, half-inch pipe and fittings, install a Walbro hi-pressure pump, 2 (two) filters, and a boost-oriented regulator, install the Snowperformance Boost Cooler meth injector, a footfeed and accellerator cable, bolt in a "racing seat, carpet, and wire the thing.

You have seen how slow we are.... :cwm10:

Maybe mid September... MAYBE.

It's nearly 100 degrees here every day, for the foreseeable future.

We will NOT subject ourselves (or this equipment) to that kind of abuse.... ESPECIALLY ourselves... LOL!

Bill congrats to u and Freddie sorry to hear about the trans:wack:
I fired the Toad up last Friday but I have a minor problem as well I'm not sure but I'm leaking fluid from the head I don't no if its the hussey head gasket or if I gouged the head to much :mumum:
I'm on vacation for a couple more days but I'm going to take the the top half of the motor apart to get a better look on Fri

I'll keep u posted
Aaron

Aaron,

I have seen your work! If ANYBODY can handle this little glitch, it's YOU.

Take your time and it will be running reliably very VERY soon...

Good luck!!!

COngrats, this is great news. Now do us all a favor and show a video! there are many of us on the turbo fence that want to see all of your hard work paid off first hand!

We'd love to, but first things first. If it runs well, it will be proof that ANYBODY can build one of these things. Neither of us (me, or my partner, Freddie) had ever laid a wrench on a six of any kind before this, nor did either of us have ANY turbo experience.

Thanks to Tom's (Shaker223), Charrlie's, and Ryan's good advice, we've come this far in a year and a half. It runs well without the turbo plumbing (stock 1bbl) intake, idles smoothly at 600 rpm, has 60 pounds of oil pressure at hot idle, and starts on the first hit...

I think it's ready for the turbo!!!! :colors:

We'll keep you posted.

Get off that fence... that sounds painful!!!!! :)

You may want to do the electronic ignition conversion first while you know it runs, so it'll be ready for that turbo setup.

I am sure you're right. But it sure had US fooled for awhile!:disgust:

We ran it at 2,500 rpm for 30 minutes, today, to break in the cam, ran the valves again (.016",) set the timing at 7 degrees initial, adjusted the carb mixture and were delighted to learn that is starts on the first "hit" of the starter. It has 60 pounds oil pressure at a hot idle (600 rpm.) which I'd think is plenty.

The transmission is dumping transmission fluid on the ground in neutral, and it's NOT overfull, so I have no idea... it's a brand new 904 (well, freshly-rebuilt.)

One thing at a time, I ...:pale:
Glad you got it broke in.
On your transmission leak make sure cooler lines are not kink and that your breather in your front pump is not blocked.
On race ready transmission the trick is to block front breather and install on on rear of the case just before the tailshaft.
What valve body ,you running?Do it have a trans brake?
Here a link from CHEETAH Pro Series Brake....
http://www.turboaction.com/17999 04-14-06.pdf

Can wait to see that turbooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!
TXDart

On your transmission leak make sure cooler lines are not kink and that your breather in your front pump is not blocked.
On race ready transmission the trick is to block front breather and install on on rear of the case just before the tailshaft.

TXDart

Turbo Action, reverse shift-pattern, non-transbrake valve body.

Gotta look into that breather question.

Thanks!!!

TXDart

I got underneath the car today to try to see where it was leaking.

Turned out to be two adjacent fittings in the loop that was installed in lieu of a trans cooler, that were incompatable with each other.

Proper fittings were installed, and the leak disappeared.

Thanks to everyone who responded!!!:happy7:

-
Back