finally... it runs... heres pics

-

lil red

Reaction score
got the express running on the weekend after many months of work

haven't been on the road yet, just yard drives - she'll be road legal tomorrow.

seems to run really well (knock on wood) and sounds a pretty good

so many thanks to t67power and rumblefish and moper for direction on the build and camshaft advice - sounds good with slight thump but still moderate for low torque. The TQ carb worked ootb well with only a slight adjustment , with my cold start fuel problem cured thanks to demonsizzler - I highly recommend him.

I went with the painted LD340 and RHS heads to try to keep a factory look. I have the original dual snorkle air cleaner and cold air tubes, but waiting for a chrome lid....dunno I seem to like the open chrome air cleaner

Attachments

• 080.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 564
  • 081.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 547
  • 082.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 559
  • 083.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 551
Real clean and tidy!. Good looking moderate color scheme uncluttered.
Looks like a heavy duty delco alternator.
What alternator is that?

Congratulations lil red, sounds like all is well and I liking that breather to, but that dual snorkel is a must do JMO. Looks great.

Very nice I like the the Air cleaner you have on it now, I am curious about your headers, are they shorty headers?? or truck specific, or did you build them yourself?? they look like they fit well. And what are the specifics on your motor??

Very nice I like the the Air cleaner you have on it now, I am curious about your headers, are they shorty headers?? or truck specific, or did you build them yourself?? they look like they fit well. And what are the specifics on your motor??

wow.. lots of questions..thanks fellas

the alternator is a factory heavy duty, it was an option - I think 100 or 110 amp of something along that line

the headers are off newer dakota/ram from 1994-1998 - pacesetter brand. I couldn't use full lenght headers because the exhaust crosses over to the outside of the frame rails right about where the firewall is. At the time I couldn't find a center dump block hugger tri-y style but I see now that hedman makes them. These ended up being better with the RHS heads because the ports match up alot better than with my old J heads.

the motor is the original block with flat-tops (9-1 compression vs factory 8.2 or so), mp .268/272 camshaft, LD 340 intake , RHS/indy heads and the factory 850 TQ that demonsizzler rebuilt/modified.

I was going to change the cam but most members suggested I keep what I have - but I did buy 1.6 ratio adjustable rocker arms

I'll get it out this weekend give her a wax and post some outside pics

Another header question: Did you have to make any modifications to have those headers work? I bought a second set of edelbrock (same as my '01 5.9 Ram) and thought they'd fit. The tranny dipstick was in the way as well as being too close to the frame and starter. I ended up just having my original lrt manifolds blasted, which in turn I painted an UGLY silver. Can't wait to remove and re-do.

Attachments

• MATS2011 007.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 285
Purdy....have a VERY rough Warlock sitting in our yard that I might get to before I die....

Another header question: Did you have to make any modifications to have those headers work? I bought a second set of edelbrock (same as my '01 5.9 Ram) and thought they'd fit. The tranny dipstick was in the way as well as being too close to the frame and starter. I ended up just having my original lrt manifolds blasted, which in turn I painted an UGLY silver. Can't wait to remove and re-do.

these are the second set..they are summit brand and the first ones were pacesetter. the drivers side fit perfectly, and the passenger side needed the trans dip tube bent and a new bell housing bracket fabbed. I went this route because the flanges matched my RHS head magnum exhaust port design better than la headers.

nice engine bay...i also went back to the dual snorkel lid

Those engine bays look familiar! I had a '79 LRE back in the early eighties. I sold it and used the money for college. Getting another one is definitely on my bucket list!

Mine ran okay back in the day, but it was never a screamer. I would be willing to bet that the mods you have made will really wake it up!!

I too would like to see more pics of the whole truck. Good work!

-
Back