Finding a RADIATOR for my 65 valiant

-

65valiantwin

Reaction score
Hey guys, need your help here. This is my first build and i've put a stroked 360 into my 65 valiant Signet, the car was originally a 273 car, it didn't come with a rad when i got it. I'm having a heck of a time finding a rad that will fit. I've measured over and over again, and i'm 24" wide (mounting hole to mounting hole) and can be 22" tall MAX. Inlet has to be on the passenger side. Everything i've found online either has inlet on Driver side or is too tall!!

Can anyone provide some suggestions where i might be able to find something?

What set-up are you running? Pictures?

Aluminum or cast iron water pump. If you change water pumps, it will change the side for the lower radiator hose... You have to use the proper timing chain cover to go with the water pumps...

Are you looking at the 60's style radiators or 70 and later style?

We need more info to help guide you in the right direction.... Take pictures of the engine and engine compartment so we can see what you have to work with...

Hi guys, here's a few pics I had my old man snap. As far as the 60's/70's thing, this isn't going to be a show car, so functionality is all that really matters. The bigger issue is height, measuring from the top of the bolt on the bottom bracket (in the 1st pic) to 1" above the top bracket i only have 22" to work with!

cid_587.jpg

cid_132.jpg

cid_689.jpg

IIRC, the change in timing chain cover, harmonic balancer, & water pump occurred in MY 72. If you can find a radiator for a '72 or later A-body that will fit your opening, you'll be good to go.

I got mine from AutoZone for a 71 Dart 340 and it works great in my 66 with the hose on the correct side for you.

Rads are measured by their core size. I bought an AL aftermarket one for a mustang and it fit but the hose's are not correct. That should not be too hard to fill. Heck, I stuffed one from a Jeep Cherokee Chief in mine with my big block. It fit with none to spare. frame rail to frame rail radiator with side tanks.

F-Body radiators fit, you need to redrill the bottom holes in the mounting brackets. You should get one for an A/C car.

20160812_090802.jpg
I used a 22" 3 core for a V8 71-74 a-body and the corresponding hoses with no problem. However theres no room for a clutch fan.

Last edited:
I put a Champion in mine. Looks like the one posted above. The fit is pretty good in the stock location but I ended up chopping out the upper rad support and moving the rad closer to the grill to make room for an electric fan.

-
Back