First Mopar! Minnesota Dart

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
All my life I have wanted a loud, fast car. I would have loved a Challenger, but they are way out of my league these days. I came across a 1973 Dart Sport 318 at a garage sale a block from my house. It is very clean, with a bunch of minor issues I am picking away at. It has a bit of a cam, too big a carb and too loud an exhaust. Just what I like. There is nothing like a carburetor for the smell of unburned fuel! It is not anywhere near as quick as I would like. I want to change the rear end and I have plans for a new engine this winter. I would love a 440, but for simplicity's sake I am leaning towards a 408 stroker. Any advice would be appreciated, and I am sure I will be bugging all of you with questions along the way. I had to resize the pics I am posting, so I apologize if they aren't as sharp as they could be. And yes, the Dart Sport the PO stuck on the rear is gone. It was damn embarrassing.View attachment Dash resized.jpg

View attachment Engine compartment resized.jpg

View attachment Front view resized.jpg

View attachment left side front resized.jpg

View attachment Left side rear resized.jpg

View attachment Rear end view resized.jpg

View attachment Seats resized.jpg

Welcome to FABO, you'll like it here.
Lots of great people willing to help you with your build.
Great looking car BTW!

Welcome to FABO. Nice garage sale find you've got there. I like the "Mopar to ya" handle too. There's a big Mopar show in Farmington coming up in a couple weeks. Might see you there. toolman

Very nice and clean. maybe you could post some of the work in progress?

Very Nice!

I have a completely rebuilt 440 on my engine stand I would be willing to sell for $2800

Welcome to FABO from SoCal. You're going to have fun here!
Post up more details about your car as it is now, and your build plans for the future. Lot's of great people here for suggestions on how to get exactly what you're looking for.

Welcome to FABO. Nice garage sale find you've got there. I like the "Mopar to ya" handle too. There's a big Mopar show in Farmington coming up in a couple weeks. Might see you there. toolman

I'd love to go if I can. I own a sports bar with softball and volleyball fields, so weekend tournaments keep me from most weekend fun stuff. That's Mopars in the Park, isn't it? I am planning to make that one.
Greg

Welcome to FABO from SoCal. You're going to have fun here!
Post up more details about your car as it is now, and your build plans for the future. Lot's of great people here for suggestions on how to get exactly what you're looking for.

It is a '73 Dart Sport originally with a 318. I suspect the motor was changed at some point to a 340 or 360, then back to a 318 before I got it. It had a pretty heavy lower rpm vibration on acceleration and I found an external weight on the torque converter. 318's had internally balanced converters. It was weird, but I installed a 2400 stall converter and the vibration is gone. The torsion bars were cranked as tight as they would go. I turned them down 4 1/2 turns and the front lowered a half an inch, but it rides so much better now. The front end was tight with new control arm bushings, so I aligned it to get rid of the +2.25 toe. All the door, trunk and hood seals are missing. It has an ignition lock cylinder, but it is a switch to activate a starter button. The engine was spotless when I got it, but the oil pan immediately began to leak... onto the headers of course. The dash was cut to accommodate a din type radio, the fools. It needs some work on the wipers to get them to park correctly. There is no spare, but the jack is there. The blower is capable of working, but is not. It has an Edelbrock Performer manifold and Performer 600 cfm carb, which is too much for the engine. It is a manual choke carb, but the manual choke was never installed and they wired the choke open. There is no key for the door locks. The dash pad is split. That's the bad. The good is the seats are new, as is the carpet. It is virtually rust free. The paint is good from far, but far from good. Still looks nice though. Runs beautifully, except when really gunning it, it tends to choke on the fuel. If I hit 3/4 throttle and get it going, I can nail it after a second or two and it won't stumble at all.
What the plans are ... I ordered new seals, matching door locks and ignition cylinders, new steering wheel, and a couple minor parts. I am going to either rewire the harness myself or order a Painless wiring kit as the wiring is really cobbled together. I want a lower geared rear end. I can get a new 355 posi for my 8.25, but my brother scoffs at that idea. He says to drop in an 8.75. Still debating what to do there. This winter I am changing the motor. I would love a 440, but am now leaning toward a 408 Stroker in the 400-450 hp range due to easier fitment. Then, if I can save enough money, it needs to be stripped, minor filling of some trouble spots, and repainted properly. This will probably be a two to three year project. In the meantime, I am going to drive it and enjoy it, and put up with the damn oil leak because the damn headers are in the way of the oil pan and I don't feel like messing with it.

Welcome from Lino Lakes. Mopars in the Park. Be There. Aloha.

You are very close as well. I live in North Branch and own Bebop's in Blaine. I probably drive near your place every day.
Mopars in the Park. That is this weekend! I can make Sunday, but I have a big tournament at work on Saturday and need to be here. Hope to see you there!

Greg

-
Back