Fitech and boost

-

canadian duster

Reaction score
Looking for experience running boost with the fitech system. From talking with their tech team, they are claiming that anything over 10:1 compression a separate msd ignition system is required. Curious on who's running what with their boost system.
I've been reading the other posts on fitech but not seeing much on boost and timing control.

In particular the 2x4 fitech system. Will be running on a 408 with 671 blower.

Thanks

Not sure if you'll find them here, but I have come across many people on the net that have been running fitch successfully with turbos or superchargers. Check out the "Fitech owners" Facebook page, I actually just met a guy on there who has a single turbo 360 magnum on E85 using FItech 1200.

I think regardless of what engine management you use, you are going to want to use something like an MSD 6AL box with boost, it can't hurt to have a potent ignition system when dealing with forced induction regardless of what your compression ratio is. From there, I have seen a mix of guys using the FITECH to control timing and others using ignition systems with their own independent timing control. Not really sure if one offers any benefit over the other. I'm going to be using my 6AL box and will attempt to program the timing via the FITECH on my procharged 340. I just figure it has the capability, why not use it (and save money on some kind of digital box with timing control since I already had the 6aL).

Just to be clear, when the FITECH tech told you that you'd require a 'separate' ignition system for over 10:1 with boost, did he mean the addition of an MSD box to avoid spark blow out or did he mean a digital ignition box to control timing with? I've never heard anyone say that the FItech lost timing control capabilities at any C/R...not sure why that would be the case.

Last edited:
Not sure if you'll find them here, but I have come across many people on the net that have been running fitch successfully with turbos or superchargers. Check out the "Fitech owners" Facebook page, I actually just met a guy on there who has a single turbo 360 magnum on E85 using FItech 1200.

I think regardless of what engine management you use, you are going to want to use something like an MSD 6AL box with boost, it can't hurt to have a potent ignition system when dealing with forced induction regardless of what your compression ratio is. From there, I have seen a mix of guys using the FITECH to control timing and others using ignition systems with their own independent timing control. Not really sure if one offers any benefit over the other. I'm going to be using my 6AL box and will attempt to program the timing via the FITECH on my procharged 340. I just figure it has the capability, why not use it (and save money on some kind of digital box with timing control since I already had the 6aL).

Just to be clear, when the FITECH tech told you that you'd require a 'separate' ignition system for over 10:1 with boost, did he mean the addition of an MSD box to avoid spark blow out or did he mean a digital ignition box to control timing with? I've never heard anyone say that the FItech lost timing control capabilities at any C/R...not sure why that would be the case.

Also the first i've heard of compression ratio having anything to do with an external control source....and lets just say i'm fairly familiar with these.lol

I apologize if I'm besting a dead horse. I'll read up more.

When I see the popcorn bucket I know I screwed up lol

Negative, I'm interested in this as well.

I'm guessing that the ignition limitations with CR are possibly due to FiTech assuming that Water/Meth injection will be used.... Too much boost + too much CR + too much W/M might just blow the flame out? Sort of why you run a tighter gap on the spark plugs with boost as there's a dense mixture packed in the cylinder....

Sorry for late responses. The ifnition box comment was based on the compression not spark blowout. I don't seem to really have faith in their suggestions so far. To me, a 2x4 600 power adder and fuel command center should do the truck, but I was recommended a single 1200 power adder and the g surge pump.

I'll be going with a 6al either way but there seems to be differing opinions on the fuel system and "carbs".

IMG_20170401_231710916-2672x2004.jpg
This is my buddy's 1988 D150. Twin turbo 2x4 Fitech 318. Stock bottom and with thin head gaskets about 9:1 compression. He is running a 6A controlled by the Fitech. I will try to answer any questions.

View attachment 1715093331 This is my buddy's 1988 D150. Twin turbo 2x4 Fitech 318. Stock bottom and with thin head gaskets about 9:1 compression. He is running a 6A controlled by the Fitech. I will try to answer any questions.
Using full timing control via the fitech correct? How long has it lived on the street and how much boost?

Using full timing control via the fitech correct? How long has it lived on the street and how much boost?
Using full timing control and because we just finished it this spring and it is a stock bottom end he has been limiting the boost to 5 PSI. I think he will eventually turn it up a bit as it's addicting. I am also running a sing FiTech power adder system on my Dart with timing control. It's working great but took some tinkering to get it running correctly. I since have developed a rod knock and I am looking to replace my engine with a 408 stroker with no blower.

-
Back