Fixing woodgrain

-

74dart

Reaction score
Like most old cars the wood grain on my 74 dart swinger is scratched and alot of it is gone. Im wondering if there is a way to fix this? something like a cutout material or stick on material? I have no clue how to fix this, any help would be great!

Thank you

I fixed one for a friend, what a PITA!!!!! I taped it all off sprayed the woodgrain part with a rustoleum brown primer then sprayed satin black at a distance in a kinda streaking pattern.

So was it easy? and how did it turn out?

Its very time consuming just to tape off all the little areas when you are redoing the whole panel (I redid the woodgrain, the chrome, the black, and the lettering) It took me a couple of days just because I would get frustrated and I would have to put it down. It looks 100% better than it did and the color is a real close match to the rest of the woodgrain dash pieces (if you dont have a woodgrain dash then its even better)

well its the piece between the glove box and the instrument cluster, im not sure that even comes out?

I belive it does let me check the parts storage tomarow and I will let you know

I was going to suggest wood-grained vinyl. If you can get replacement parts, even better. If you are not going for a rest, gheck-out vinyl selections on-line. I did the whole dash (metal part) of my truck 2 or 3 years ago with carbon fiber vinyl (74 f-100) and it turned out great. The vinyl still looks good (just a little dated now), but you can find many grains and colors. If you decide to use vinyl, cover all the wood trim ao it all matches, spray the glue-side and the part with soapy water so you can reposition it before it sticks (make sure the glue is compatible with this technique before you order it!) and use a hair dryer or low setting on heat gun to form curves. It's basically the same as applying vinyl stripes or window tint. Good luck with it!

Way back in the mid '60's I used peel and stick wood grain vinyl on my '63 Valiant dash. To be honest it did shrink from the summer heat. Looked great when finished though.

I've made appliques to cover the dash panels with different stuff. When I use adhesive vinyl, I use wet water (spray bottle of water with 2 drops of dish soap) and a hair drier to position it. Making the templates to cut the material was a PITA. So far, it has held up to high temps. Here are 3 examples:

-
Back