Flexplate problems with 727TF

-

JefftheComputerMan

Reaction score
WHAT THE HELL? I just got my 1999 Durango 5.2 magnum ready to install, I knew about elongating a flex plate hole, so I opted to remove the flexplate and mark it. It won't fit?

Attachments

• IMAG0138.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 303
  • IMAG0139.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 300
  • IMAG0140.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 271
  • IMAG0141.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 272
  • IMAG0142.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 271
  • IMAG0143.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 277
  • IMAG0144.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 304
the 5.2 is internally balanced.....use the stock flexplate that came with the trans...

what is the bolt circle on the converter...there are usually two bolt circles on 727 converter..

You will need to get the correct convertor.
your trans has the 12" convertor in it, the convertor that you will need to fit the late flex plate is a 11" convertor body. all convertor companies will be able to get correct convertor for you.

Lon;:coffee2:

I can get the original transmission from the durango pretty cheap ($300) should i just try to fit it to my valiant instead of going the TC route? It will be a 4 speed maybe with OD (IDK) and will hook up to all the computer crap on this new Magnum Computer.. What would yall do? This is from a 42K miles Durango, so I'm feeling good about decent parts.
What problems are waiting for me on the engine and transmission swap?

Drive shaft custom cut? Trans mounting crossmember? Shifter linkage? What else?

I'm really frustrated with this because THIS SITE said the 1999 Magnum would bolt right in. Now I'm looking at months or thousands of dollars to get my car back on the street.

you need a small bolt pattern convertor. it would also help if you had the flexplate facing the other way.

just a thought here, what did the 318 and 727 come out of originally? if it came from a truck or full size car it probably has the large convertor in it. iv'e got a 72 dart with an 01 5.2 in it, but I had a 904 tranny. dave.

OK got a transmission shop that's gonna owe me a lot of time upgrading waiting to see results

Your gonna need the durango flex plate if your gonna run EFI. AFAIK, there are only two bolt pattern torque convertors.

Also, if your going EFI your gonna have to cut a notch in the bellhousing of the tranny to clear the crankshaft position sensor. Easy mod though.

-
Back