Floor install

-

wirenut

Reaction score
I didnt want to hijack 19 agains thread. I want to install an AMD complete center floor section. What I planned on doing was drilling the original spot welds, removing the floor and drop inthe new and spot weld again. Has anyboby done this? Is it practical. I realize the drilling would be time consuming but, thought it would produce the cleanest most original looking finished product.

Would a plasma cutter be usefull for cutting the spot welds.

Thanks

If you are throwing the original pan away, use a grinder to get all the spotwelds you can. It's trash material anyways. Then clean up the residual. Drilling them will take FOREVER! Some you may have to drill because of access.

I would steer away from a plasma as they usually get into the sub layers as well when cutting.

I like to cut out most of the floor pan by cutting around the frame rails. That way you can sit with your feet on the garage floor while you remove the spot welded sections.
Rod

Brace the structure so it will not move. (door jams)
Air chisel the floor around the uni body structure.
Ues a 1/4" drill bit to just knock the head off the spot weld, run the air chisel up the uni-body.
If the air chisel starts to rip the uni-body, stop and use the 1/4" to knock the top of the head off.
Easy, time consuming, and requires craftmanship.
Keep your head clear and you can do it.

Thanks. I've got it on a rotisserie, It has frame connectors (not yet welded in) , think I need to brace the door openings?

To do a complete floor pan you need bracing to hold everything square, A rotisserie is not the way to go! you need to make a jig to bolt the car to. A spot weld cutter is the best
it will only cut the pan material then you can use a air chisel to cut it out, As cracked said the pan is junk so you can cut everything out to the sub frame then it's easier to drill and chisel the welds, After the pan is welded i then put the car on a rotisserie for prep and paint work,Here's a pic of the way i do it on a jig.It's not a Mopar but ya get the idea!!

Attachments

• IMG00070-20110408-1137.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG00069-20110408-1136.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG00071-20110408-1625 00000.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 139
Sounds and looks like these guys have been there and done that. My 64 Savoy is on the rotisserie now and they do say some stuff that will help ya. Keep this in mind. On the bottom of the original pan are some brackets for various cables and maybe some seat bolt reinforcing plates. There was with mine. Pay attention to the locations before cutting. Cracked is right. Cut all you can out and then get after the rail. I used an air chisel, die grinder, spot weld drill and a 4" grinder. One tool wont do it all. I forgot to mention a hammer. I like jackin with these old cars. Dont tell me i cant fix one cause i'll show ya i can.
Small Block

Thanks alot guys. I seem to take a little from everyones ideas. Being that this this car is otherwise completly rust free and a hard top, I'm thinking that if I weld the frame connectors in (and not to the floor) it should hold the car ridged enough to remove the floor.
I thought about that with the brackets. I"ll photo it and draw it out with measurements. And yeah I'm thinking a multitude of tools.

Hey Wirenut,,
You could have jacked my thread, I wouldn't of cared.. Now I have to go between the two threads to get all the info...LOL!!! Some great info here between the two..
19 Again..

-
Back