Ford ,Chevy,exc.Parts in your mopar

-

dbphemi

Reaction score
Ive been reading about lots of guys putting Ford and Chevy parts (Brakes rear ends,transmissions)in there mopars because of them being more readily available and cheaper than the oem mopar stuff.I'm just curious if anyone is running Ford or Chevy motors in their A body mopars..being how there is a large supply of them at low cost compared to hipo mopar engines.Or is it possible that this is where the line is drawn in the sand and you get kicked out of the so called mopar club?

I used to think mopar should be mopar.But with prices going into the toilet selling mopars and prices for parts going through the roof for mopars.I say build it the way the want and as cheap as posable.I know there are some people that are selling mopar parts just to fund there chevy/ford projects witch keeps the used parts prices high.

The Mopar engine isn't really anymore expensive than a GM engine to build. Certain parts do cost more, like an intake and cylinder heads and a good set of headers will set you back a fair amount over the cheap one size fits all style of header.

Though, header fitment is an issue with every car and brand, I just do not understand why the header manufactures insist on makeing the same 3 tube under the front end suspension part headers year after year for 30+ years. (Rant on headers over)

In order to keep cost down, shopping swap meets and on-line can save hundreds over the cost of brand spankin new. If your handy, rebuilding a carb can save you a good $200.

Porting (If need be) the iron head over a aluminum head purchase saves money as well if you can live without the wow factor of alu,inum head and! the iron head has little problem in making power on par with a set of Edelbrocks vs. the cost of it all as well.

I can understand a trans....overdrive, however, the plate to mate the GM O.D. to the S/B Mopar engine kind of off sets the cost alot back to staying with a Mopar trans.

On a rear, I really don't have an issue with a Ford 9 for a race set up. Same idea as the 8-3/4 .

Ford+Chevy+Mopar=Hot Rodding

I don't care much for seeing done to the 60's and up stuff. Mixed and matched combos with the older stuff is cool, that is where it all started. There is a guy here in MN who has a 1969 Camaro SS with a 440 in it, cool he wants to go fast but the car would be cooler with the Chevy big block, especially when his car is bone stock on the outside. I like to keep my Mopar all Mopar, and my......wait a minute.....I don't own anything else! Just my 2 cents worth!

what you put into it is not as important as to the fact that you are at least out there doing it. how many youngsters are out there with old iron anymore, most are involved in the "tuners". so which would you prefer to see, a 69 Dart with a 9" or some little rice burner?? answer is pretty straightforward to me. besides, part of this hobby is being different. if all there was were 69 camaros, this would be a pretty boring hobby.....

I call them orphans or kit cars...for a mopar to be judged against other mopars,..it has to be pure mopar..I have seen too many MGs with toyota engines ..regardless kit car..

This is not to say I object to someone doing this, heck no ..but be up front about it..

Grassy

I lost a first place to a kit car.. judges were too brain dead or dumb (and pushed by politics) to give 1st placwe to a kit car..they were informed about it and there dicision was don't worry..it it is all for fun so come back next year..you have a really rare car and we really like displaying it..

I'm one of those with mixed parts in their Mopar. I bought my Duster with a GM 700R4 trans. The person I bought the car from was wanting gas mileage. The best he could do was about 15 mpg. Yea, the cost of the adapter plate and what it took to get the trans to fit and mount to the engine would not have been worth it to me. I would just have left the 727 in it.
There was an episode of Pinks that had a Duster with a Chevy engine in it.

The thought of a Chevy or ford in my Mopar makes me cringe but I was just curious what everyone thought.I got lucky enough that when I bought my Dart it came with all of the factory goodies minus disc brakes witch seem to be a small fortune to upgrade.

You ask a good question. I'll take the NASCAR approach. To be a Mopar, it needs a Mopar body and a Mopar motor. I'll let any hotrod with a Mopar motor installed be a part of the club. Just don't take a Duster and stuff a mouse motor in it (as I saw a Pinks contestant had done).

My opinions are like my arm pits. I've always got 'em and every once in a while, they'll stink.

I think the engine should be off limits. I think there is nothing wrong with using another make trans, rear or brakes. As long as they are american made.

I don't think there is anything wrong with my setup since it already was not a numbers matching car. If I was looking for that it would be a different story. I do agree that the engine should be off limits.

i like keeping motors whatever the make of the car is. though i would have no problem sticking a gm or ford overdrive trans in my car since chrysler had to just stick that stupid big *** od unit on the rear of a 904/727 on their 500/518 trans.

my suspension system uses ford spindles and a ford rack. the car steers better then it every would with stock parts on it.

for me, i drive the hell out of my car and its all about the end result. i want it the way i want it and if i have to use other make parts then i'm doing it.

There is a blue 71 Demon that goes to the drags, and he runs a SB Chevy. When you go to see the Mopars win, it's kind of a.. sad feeling knowing it was really a SBC that won.

Everything has a Ford 9" in it, and for good reason. I don't have a problem with that.

I think the calipers in my SSBC kit for the A body are Ford derived. From the improvement I've seen in stopping over the drums, it doesn't bother me. Beats the ever loving hell out of paying a fortune for some Kelsey Hayes original type stuff.

I kind of draw the line at motor swapping, though I've been tempted to try installing a SB Ford or newer style LS motor in the Dart, I don't think I'd ever actually do it.

I can't understand why anyone would put a non-Chevy engine in a Camaro.

I would disown anyone who dared put a non-mopar engine in a mopar and then beat them with the stupid stick. I don't mind the pro-street guys using for 9" rear ends or things like that... but there is a line that shouldn't be crossed. For me its the engine and trans... MUST stay mopar.

Hell my side mirrors are from a Pontiac Fiero.

2913356_138.jpg
2913356_137.jpg

Everything has a Ford 9" in it, and for good reason. I don't have a problem with that.

I think the calipers in my SSBC kit for the A body are Ford derived. From the improvement I've seen in stopping over the drums, it doesn't bother me. Beats the ever loving hell out of paying a fortune for some Kelsey Hayes original type stuff.

I kind of draw the line at motor swapping, though I've been tempted to try installing a SB Ford or newer style LS motor in the Dart, I don't think I'd ever actually do it.

I can't understand why anyone would put a non-Chevy engine in a Camaro.

I've though of maybe installing a BB chevy in mine, it was just a thought before i pieced together the magnum 360 i now have, not to long ago, when i was buying engines, i purchased a running 74 454 with 86000 miles on it for 500 bucks, its not so much the prices are cheaper for the older GMs, but the used stuff is going really cheap now, dirt cheap, & theres alot out there, the only thing that really stopped me was the exhaust & oil pan fitment.

How about a "FODGE"???what is it ???? How about this a 1ton dually with a Mid 70's Chrysler "400" and 727 They took a good truck and made it better
it's one mother movin' bad a** homemade towtruck..But that's as far as willing to go on swaps... "Mopar's the only way to fly!!!"

I kinda figure that if you want a chevy or a ford..go buy the whole car ..i mean they are a dime a dozen.Why go through the trouble of making it fit in a Mopar. In the long run you are going to get more money for your mopar when you or your kids sell it if its all factory parts.As far as brakes and rear ends go..If you want to drive your 60's mopar daily it is inevitable that you will at some point have to put some aftermarket parts on your car .

-
Back