Frame Connectors

-

FASTBACK340

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
With the recent posts on sub-frame connectors I was wondering..... Should the car be resting on it's wheels when they are welded in, like on an alignment rack, or can they be welded in while on an overhead lift, supported by the frame sections?

Hmmm.... :scratch: Or does it make a difference???

Its probably best to have it on level ground but mine were welded while it was up on jack stands.

I am welding mine on jack stands too. But I taped the door gaps on several spots and marked them with a pencil to see if the car distort in some way ...
Its not the best way but in my case the only possible...

A friend of mine said its ok when the doors open on the jacks like they open on the wheels. And he made this a few times in the past this way without any problems.

Michael

they way i like to do them is support the suspension on jackstands or blocks under the tires-- (2 under the rear shock plates, and 2 under each front control arms). if you are extravegant, a drive on lift (alignment rack) is the best way. supporting the car on the suspension/tires like it is on the ground will ensure that movement of door gaps and other such body movement wont happen. your car was ment to be supported by the suspension, so thats were it should be supported when the car is together. want proof---jack up under the k-frame, put jackstands on the framerails around the firewall area, and let the jack down-----watch how much the front drops.

if the car is stripped down (really the best time to do this kind of stuff) then there is less stress on the structure and placement of jackstands is less critical (but still important)

So I guess it's really a bad idea to add them when the chassis is upside down on a rotisserie...

<_<
>_>
jack it up and put jackstand under the suspension?
you guys did think of that right? :)

rabius75 said:
<_<
>_>
jack it up and put jackstand under the suspension?
you guys did think of that right? :)
Thats how i did my moms on her Cornet,an thats how my car is getting done :thumrigh:

Thanks guys! I'll prop the sucker up on the suspension..... That is if it evers moves again under it's own power :?

-
Back