Free cam build...

-
The Ti valves are of some concern if you don’t know their service history due to potential work hardening. Fast closing rates (hammering) accelerates the hardening rate of Ti valves. This is an area where the slow ramp rates and timid valve spring pressures with the free camshaft will be an advantage. I would be more concerned about what block to put this on and be looking for something that could accept four bolt main caps.

Last edited:
I did not know you could do that.
Seems like a waste not to use the heads to they full design capacity.
Not sure why it’s a waste... with a little work they will flow in the lower 300 range and will make as much power as the stock block can handle... even with the free cam

They flow 290/300 OOTB if not really close to it.

More assumptions!

I did not know you could do that.
Seems like a waste not to use the heads to they full design capacity.
It is done on most every build save a serious racer or a nut job on the street that has to have every last HP... or actually what he thinks he is doing....
(Enter Gradfather clock Coo coo birds sounds...)

It is done on most every build save a serious racer or a nut job on the street that has to have every last HP... or actually what he thinks he is doing....
(Enter Gradfather clock Coo coo birds sounds...)
At the end of the day this is all about what you can do with a free cam...

wow, i saw the ad....Facebook w-Head site? Nice stuff!!!

Michael

Yeah the stuff came up for sale in Calgary which is about 1400km away from Winnipeg where I live...contacted the seller and it turns out his house is about a 5 minute drive from a good friend of mine...worked out good for him as he can just drop them off and I got a great deal on the stuff

wow, i saw the ad....Facebook w-Head site? Nice stuff!!!

Michael

Yeah the stuff came up for sale in Calgary which is about 1400km away from Winnipeg where I live...contacted the seller and it turns out his house is about a 5 minute drive from a good friend of mine...worked out good for him as he can just drop them off and

just a historical note on Crane of that vintage from a current speed talk thread

Exactly.
Harvey {Crane}came to our shop in the 80's in his motorhome, trying to sell/Lease us his software.
I think he had it on a 286 with a math co-processor.
I sat there while ho showed me how it worked.
He started with a basic lifter motion curve, then said, if you want to make it bigger at .200", you do this. If you want to make it smaller at .020", you do this. If you want to lower the max velocity, you do this.
Being the 20 year old that I was, I said, what do you do, to make it the correct curve for the application?
The look on his face changed instantly.
I then told him, using the parameters of the engine, we design the optimum valve lift curve for each application.
He angrily told me, you can't do that. He then drove off, and never talked to me again.
I've been "Can't doing that" for 35 years since.

Anyone have any links showing W9’s with a motor plate and alternator and power steering pump mounted...

But if you just put some 273 heads on that sucker it'll be plenty streetable.
Restrictor plate style.

That's what i would do. The original engine combo i had when i bought the car had a set of cleaned up 302's with a 1.84 valve and a 320 adv 256 @ 0.050 490 108 lift solid cam. That incarnation ran the hardest of all the combos Ive tried. The torque through out the entire rev range was incredible.

Its really cheap too......

That's what i would do. The original engine combo i had when i bought the car had a set of cleaned up 302's with a 1.84 valve and a 320 adv 256 @ 0.050 490 108 lift solid cam. That incarnation ran the hardest of all the combos Ive tried. The torque through out the entire rev range was incredible.

Its really cheap too......
What brand of cam was that?

The free cam will still be a free cam at the end of the build...

Glad to see you diggin your heels in on keeping the cam. Most of these pushovers on here would have thrown the free cam in the garbage and run something a "guru" told them. I love your direction. This is going to be a FUN build and that's what it's all about!

Glad to see you diggin your heels in on keeping the cam. Most of these pushovers on here would have thrown the free cam in the garbage and run something a "guru" told them. I love your direction. This is going to be a FUN build and that's what it's all about!
Now I need to start figuring out what parts I need to run the W9 heads on a 59 degree block... I assume some kind of offset rockers... and push rod oiling possibly...

The goods showed up at my friends place in Calgary...

FA8BFD7D-1DA3-44D0-B429-2A675DA3B6BD.jpeg

look good!
What else are you needing to make this set up complete?

-
Back