Friends of Bill. W

-
I attribute my ability to quit cigarettes cold turkey to being somewhat insane...
I quit dipping the same time I quit drinking it was unbearably insanely difficult for a few weeks but I toughed it out and im glad I did.

I quit dipping the same time I quit drinking it was unbearably insanely difficult for a few weeks but I toughed it out and im glad I did.
They advise against this, but my fishing buddy for over thirty years quit cigarettes and alcohol at the same moment. After 52 years most of the crazy worked its way out of him.

They advise against this, but my fishing buddy for over thirty years quit cigarettes and alcohol at the same moment. After 52 years most of the crazy worked its way out of him.
My 47 year old son quit drinking 8/6/18 That is the day he passed away.

I'm sorry for your loss !
I hope you will find some comfort this Christmas and thoughout from good times and memories you shared with your son.
May God heal all grieving from the pain of your sons loss.
May God give you peace and comfort that surpasses all understanding!

Good for you Fisher! Stay strong, we'll keep you (and all those fighting addictions) in our thoughts and prayers.

So sorry to hear this.
I sponsored a kid whose father never failed to remind him of what a piece of crap he was, and how much better his older brother was. At 22, he gave up and shot himself.
My dad quit on 26 Sept., 2009. Gunshot to the head.
I can only hope they found the peace they couldn't find in life.

I'm sorry as well for your loss !
Pain is real, sometimes nothing seems to fill the void, the weight of despair feels like too much to handle!
We live in such a broken and destructive world !
Everyone needs to know they are loved !
Not always do we love the behavior, but we can still love the person.
I pray for all who are grieving loss right now, I ask God to give them hope and place people in their lives to come alongside and comfort and walk along together to inspire healing !
Thanks for sharing !

So sorry to hear this.
I sponsored a kid whose father never failed to remind him of what a piece of crap he was, and how much better his older brother was. At 22, he gave up and shot himself.
I can only hope they found the peace they couldn't find in life.[/QUOTE

Good for you . Bill W. and I got acquainted 30 years ago . Last cig. 25 years ago . No gambling . Just cars , that's enough . Keep up the good work .

WE lost 2 sons to suicide , one grandson to drugs . You can't tell me weed isn't harmful . i'll show you 3 graves to prove my point

I'm sorry as well for your loss !
Pain is real, sometimes nothing seems to fill the void, the weight of despair feels like too much to handle!
We live in such a broken and destructive world !
Everyone needs to know they are loved !
Not always do we love the behavior, but we can still love the person.
I pray for all who are grieving loss right now, I ask God to give them hope and place people in their lives to come alongside and comfort and walk along together to inspire healing !
Thanks for sharing !

Well said.

I remember talking to my sponsor about an incident that took place when i was 10-11 and he said that was the moment i believed that i was a worthless piece of ****. That message had been sent by both my parents for a long time and then sealed that night.

They advise against this, but my fishing buddy for over thirty years quit cigarettes and alcohol at the same moment. After 52 years most of th8e crazy worked its way out of him.
Yes I know I had quit dipping once before and knew how hard it was and i knew how hard quiting alcohol was going to be and I didnt want to do it twice. So i did it at the same time. It was never easy. And as much as I hate to admit it 3 years later its still not. But for the sake of my family I have not stumbled or anything.
So sorry to hear this.
I can only hope they found the peace they couldn't find in life.
That is incredibly sad im so sorry. For all the others that have lost loved ones im so sorry I have been on both sides of it as a recovering alcoholic I know torture you put yourself thru and as the son of an alcoholic I see the hell it puts the family thru. My dad was a recovering alcoholic and drug addict who was sober for 21 years and about 10 years ago started again the last 3 years since I have been clean our relationship has been a struggle.

Well I quit drinking over 3 months ago.
I'm not certain it will be forever ?
I have always been able to take or leave alcohol.
Due to certain circumstances in my life, and the fact for the first time in my life alcohol was pretty much a daily coping mechanism, I gave it up for now.
I decided I need to be clear minded during this season of my life .
I made the decision to go atleast 6 months.
I will decide at that point if I will continue to abstain from alcohol ?
I smoked cigarettes for 6 years was at about a pack a day , sometimes more if I drank or did drugs.
I have not had a cigarette for over 27 years.
I don't do drugs and have not for years.
Weed was most difficult for me to quit.
It has been also around 27 years with the exception of a few brief periods that I have smoked weed .
I commend all who take the steps to better their lives and the ones around them , by living a clean life !
Merry Christmas to all my mopar brothers and sisters !
Thanks for sharing !!
By reading all the things you have given up, it sounds like your the kind of guy I would have partied with in our younger days!

I rarely drink....but I am so addicted to cigarettes.
I'm proud of anyone who beats their demons!

Jeff

Jeff , I was a 2 pack a day guy , got sick , on my way to the doctor smoking . Said to myself , "What are you doing to yourself ". threw the pack out the window . Never smoked again . First 6 weeks were rough , gained 40 pounds but I lost 30 of it . Both wife and I have C.O.P.D. Wife is on oxygen 24/7 and I have asthma . Working in construction for 21 years didn't help. It's 20dF outside and I can't go out , it hurts my chest . You can do it if I can . there's help for you

Jeff , I was a 2 pack a day guy , got sick , on my way to the doctor smoking . Said to myself , "What are you doing to yourself ". threw the pack out the window . Never smoked again . First 6 weeks were rough , gained 40 pounds but I lost 30 of it . Both wife and I have C.O.P.D. Wife is on oxygen 24/7 and I have asthma . Working in construction for 21 years didn't help. It's 20dF outside and I can't go out , it hurts my chest . You can do it if I can . there's help for you
I'm determined to quit.....I swear.

Jeff

I'm determined to quit.....I swear.

Jeff
Man I know it sounds cliche but the way I quit was simply stop buying them.
It sucks really bad the first few weeks but after a while it kinda eases up. What I did was chewed gum and hard candy whenever I started craving a dip.

My fellow trudgers

I like that, it tells me that you've been in the book.

One day at a time.

If there's one thing I wish, I wish that term would go away. I was invited to my first AA meeting in the early eighties, where I was told that very thing. Quitting was unbearable, and the term "One day at a time" made it sound like a white knuckle ride from hell. The term made it seem as if I was going to struggle like that every day for the rest of my life. The end result is that it took me another twenty years to quit. My first meeting was a funny story ,or at least it's funny now, but it happened to be a birthday meeting. I heard stories of 1 year, 2 years, 5 years and so, and my first thought was,"there's no way in hell I can do that".
I hear stories of "Rock Bottom", which I also avoid. I came from a background of homeless, jails, detox facilities, back to homeless, and that was fine. Fast forward a couple decades and I'm a successful engineer with a wife, a home in the burbs, kids and the family dog. That's when it hit me. I poured myself a drink, looked at it and shook my head in disgust at what I had become despite my success. I walked over to the sink and poured it out and went to the AA meeting that I was driving by once a month for the last couple years. I guess God was getting tired of my bullshit about doing something about my drinking someday. Long story short, I don't drink, and I have no desire to because of God, Bill W. and Matt Talbot. Look up Matt Talbot if you don't know, it's almost like God saw this and told Bill W. what Matt had done.

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Last edited:
-
Back