from drum to disc..

-

sgd128

Reaction score
Anybody doing this??..if so that would be a good one for a step by step picture of...

sgd128 said:
Anybody doing this??..if so that would be a good one for a step by step picture of...

I've been askling too. A few folks on here have and are doing them.

I'll be awaiting the answer too

Chas

That was the first thing I did on my resto. I got a kit from MP and it went real easy. It was complete with everything from spindles to Master cyl. I guess you could go to a junkyard and collect all the peices, but I'd rather go new when it comes to brakes and suspension. I think the whole kit was ~$800 and went in in a day. A great investment IMO

72dustyer said:
That was the first thing I did on my resto. I got a kit from MP and it went real easy. It was complete with everything from spindles to Master cyl. I guess you could go to a junkyard and collect all the peices, but I'd rather go new when it comes to brakes and suspension. I think the whole kit was ~$800 and went in in a day. A great investment IMO

I, too just bought a kit from Master Power Brakes for my '67 Cuda. It came in last week. Looks like everything is there including the upper control arms. My kit was around $1100.00

I had purchased spindles, rotors and calipers from an M body at the salvage yard but decided to go with the new stuff as I was having trouble finding upper control arms with the large ball joints. I agree with you 72dustyer.

I just swapped out my drums for Wilwood's kit. Used the stock spindles no need for new control arms. Kit took no time at all to install. I went with the med. duity set up but i think the HD kit is the same easy install.

I have everything off my '73 Scamp including V8 K frame, torsion bars, upper and lower arms, calipers, rotors, spindles, strut rods, manual steering box and column. In short everything to convert a slant six, drum brake, power steering car to a V8, disc brake, manual steering car. If anyone is interested PM me and I'll give you the details.

If you can wait till spring, I'll be doing mine.

did mine last year. I did the junkyard gathering trips until I had the spindles, caliper brackets and UCA's. Went all new with everything else incl. torsion bars. Very straightforward swap and cost me about $600 by the time I was done. Changing the bushings in the upper & lower control arms was a pain now that I think about it. There are tools available but I made my own.

72dustyer said:

Did you stay with the 5 x 4 bolt circle

If so, what rims are you using?

I've been thinking on this a while & looking into getting the parts to do the original setup to keep my small bolt pattern. It's starting to look like the Scarebird conversion might be the way to go for me. Probably less than $300 to comvert & still have the small bolt pattern. Unless you want 100% originality, it's an attractive deal. Uses their brackets, & 1990 Chevy Celebrity calipers & rotors (cheap & easy to find). Drilling the new bolt pattern in the rotors looks like the hardest part, & probably can be done by anybody with a drill press.

The cheapest O.E style Rotors I've found are about $130 a set (& that's a bargain, but at that price who knows how good they are). Cheapest rebuilt O.E. calipers are over $80 + a $30 core charge. There's about $350 & you haven't even bought the used spindles, hubs, bearings, etc.

Only disadvantage I've seen is the Scarebird conversion doesn't have splash shields, but I'm not so sure that's really a disadvantage.

Here's a link to an abbreviated set of instructions with pictures.

http://www.scarebird.com/12802/21432.html

:burnout:

Well you can have the late rotors redrilled by Moser to accept the small bolt pattern if you want to keep it. That would keep the GM stuff off your car.

sgd128 said:

I just got done changing my KH rotors to BBP, pretty easy to do if you have a drill press and an old SBP to LBP wheel adapter

-
Back