FRONT END SQUEAKY

-

Edthehorse

Reaction score
just bought a 73 duster a few weeks sgo. Havent had it in for a saftey yet. Just by driving it a little i notice a creaking in the right side front end. Could that be a dry ball joint or control arm bushing? Also noticed when cruising and hitting bumps it darts around a bit...pulls to the left.it has air shocks in rear.

20170514_181028.jpg

I can't say without being there but in my experience with the mopars I've had the creaking comes from the torsion bar bushing going bad. If that's case might as well rebuild the front end.
While you're under the car have someone press up and down on that one side. You then can locate where it's coming from.
I had Charger that start creaking and spray the bushing with WD40. It was quite for awhile but it started back...lol

my guess is lower arm bushing failure causing squeak.

Ya i guess it would be good to just rebuild the front end. I planned on pulling the mill this fall and take the winter months to build an older 360 i have kicking around. Would be a good time to go over everything.thx for the input.

And get rid of the air shocks...... they are a bandaid for bad springs, cause horrible handling and support the vehicle weight on the shock mount not the spring mounts on the frame where it was designed to be. They can cause cracking and damage to the shock mounts.

I agree, the squeaking is most likely lower control arm mount bushings.

My 2 cents

strut rod bushings cause squeeks

As can upper or lower control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends, or anything else under the front end that moves during suspension travel.
The wandering is worn steering box, bushings, ball joints, idler arm, tie rod ends, wheel bearings or alignment.

Best to check it all, or have a competent alignment guy with Mopar experience do it. (If you can find one)

It only wanders when u hit a bad bump. Steering box would do it all the tome as well
As sway bar. Yep im gonna take it into a good garage man next week i guess then ill know where i stand. I appreciate the tips that way i can discuss it with mechanic.

The noise is probably the LCA bushing as indicated. The wandering is probably a combination of worn out bushings and a bad alignment. With the rear end that high in the air the caster is probably negative by several degrees, and that will give the unstable feeling you describe. Well, that and the rear roll center and cg being screwed up by the rear ride height.

Took it in for a ssfyey check mechanical and the list is
1 upper right ball joint
Right inner tierod
Left outer tirod
Pitman arm
Idler arm

Im going to order a complete front end kit.
Gonna dred trying to find a local shop that can do a proper alignment.

-
Back