Front Sway Bar.

-

gtsdon

Reaction score
Getting ready to install upper and lower tubular control arms and coil over shocks on the front end of my Dart. Was wondering if I should replace the bushings and reuse my existing sway bar or not? How much effect does the sway bar have on a street and strip car handling? Would there be a big difference with or without it?

Because you are changing the springs and shocks you are going to completely change the handling characteristics. I have no idea if your new ones will be relatively weaker, stiffer, or about the same as the T bars.

In other words, your present anti-sway might be just fine, or might be completely inadequate for really good handling.

Bullions and bullions of these cars were produced and driven without any sway bar at all.

I won't drive an a-body that doesn't have, at the very least, stock 340 suspension...

I'd replace the bushings for sure. One of those "shoulda done it when it was off" things could come up later. As far as the sway bar is concerned, that is up to you. If you want better street manners, I'd leave it and replace the bushings, but not having one won't make the car scary to cruise around in.

It is inconceivable to me that someone would spend the money to go tubular and coilover, and not have any idea whether they wanted a sway bar or not. I would think that before spending money on all new parts, one would have some kind of idea what the parts actually did, and what kind of suspension system one was trying to build (cruiser? drag racer? pro touring?). That aside, if one is only concerned about drag strip performance, the front sway bar is pretty irrelevant, since it only comes into effect when turning corners. But since it is hard to avoid having to turn corners on the street, it might be prudent to consider how these suspension changes affect cornering. I personally would strongly prefer the roll control provided by a correctly installed front sway bar. But "your mileage may vary..."

:prayer:
It is inconceivable to me that someone would spend the money to go tubular and coilover, and not have any idea whether they wanted a sway bar or not. I would think that before spending money on all new parts, one would have some kind of idea what the parts actually did, and what kind of suspension system one was trying to build (cruiser? drag racer? pro touring?). That aside, if one is only concerned about drag strip performance, the front sway bar is pretty irrelevant, since it only comes into effect when turning corners. But since it is hard to avoid having to turn corners on the street, it might be prudent to consider how these suspension changes affect cornering. I personally would strongly prefer the roll control provided by a correctly installed front sway bar. But "your mileage may vary..."

Thanks for the "snappy" response mvh. For the record- The parts were given to me from a close friend that sold his car. The only things I have purchased are the Hemi Denny coil over braces and upper shock mounts. Also, if you would have read my post you would see that I do know how I intend to use my car- "street and strip".

The point of my post was to obtain information from someone that has made this change and to find out what worked for them. I currently have a sway bar on my Dart and have for the past 17 years- however that was on a torsion bar suspension not a coil over suspension.

A spring is a spring wether torsion,coil or leaf. that said if you liked the swaybar before for sure continue to use one.
Personally I would not drive a older muscle car for long without sway bars.

:prayer:
... The parts were given to me from a close friend that sold his car. The only things I have purchased are the Hemi Denny coil over braces and upper shock mounts. ...
Give the man a break, mvh. He sounds like my kind of guy - cheap and proud. Any fool can write a check.

A sway bar would act the same, whether original T-bar of coil-overs. It simply shifts force from one side to the other when one side starts to deflect more than the other, similar to a "weight distributing hitch" on a trailer. The stiffer the better, but at penalty of more weight. You would feel its effect more in a car with light springs. Most newer cars have at least front sway bars, so they must work, though I can't tell much difference between my old Mopars (C-body has sway, A's TBD).

My plan is to realize a sway bar real cheap. I pulled one off a Volare and hope to attach it to the strut rods at the LCA's (in lieu of sway bar tabs). Not a crazy idea since that is the factory design in my 65 C-body.

Give the man a break, mvh. He sounds like my kind of guy - cheap and proud. Any fool can write a check.

A sway bar would act the same, whether original T-bar of coil-overs. It simply shifts force from one side to the other when one side starts to deflect more than the other, similar to a "weight distributing hitch" on a trailer. The stiffer the better, but at penalty of more weight. You would feel its effect more in a car with light springs. Most newer cars have at least front sway bars, so they must work, though I can't tell much difference between my old Mopars (C-body has sway, A's TBD).

My plan is to realize a sway bar real cheap. I pulled one off a Volare and hope to attach it to the strut rods at the LCA's (in lieu of sway bar tabs). Not a crazy idea since that is the factory design in my 65 C-body.

I already have the sway bar so there is no good reason not to reuse it. Last night I removed most of the suspension parts from the passenger’s side, man was I surprised how heavy the disc brakes and rotors are.

Hey, BillGrissom I’m extremely cheap and proud, we must have crossed paths somewhere :headbang:. Seriously, thanks for the recommendations and responses .

You are thinking, what, Bill? U bolt clamps around the struts?

Attachments

• 65sway.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 430
67Dart273,
Exactly. That B-body diagram is the same design as my C-body. The Volare sway bar has similar "links" that bolt up into the K-frame. As I recall, the outer ends clamped to something at the outer end of the UCA, maybe the strut rods also. I get confused looking at a KMJ front end w/ their transverse T-bars. The main thing is that the ends of the Volare bar closely match where the strut rods attach to the UCA's in my early A. I'll figure something to clamp to the struts.

Yup the 73 -79 BBodies sway bar clamp with a bushing directly to the strut rod which is bolted to the LCA.

We were discussing the sway bar for 73 over on FBBO and I posted a bunch of pix of my 74B which I will be replacing all rubber and joints in the spring... http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/mopar...9922-Need-Pics-of-factory-front-anti-sway-bar

In anycase here is a pic of how the sway bar is clamped to the strut

Attachments

• Photo2603.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 304
If you are strictly straight lining it (drag racing) and maybe a little street driving (cruises, etc.) there is no need for a sway bar. Removing the extra weight from the front end will help your weight transfer during launch.

If you will be doing more street driving, long trips or like crisp cornering, the sway bar is a must. It will help reduce body lean an the resultant unwelcome weight transfer during cornering. The key to any sway bar is to make sure the rubber/poly mounts are in good shape. Cracked mounts, old rubber, etc. will greatly reduce the ability of the bar to do its job as it will move directionally (up/down/in/out) rather than strictly torsional.

If you want a good balance between strip and street you should keep the bar. Of course you could always remove it once you get to the track!

-
Back