Fuel Injection Conversion for 62' Slant Six

Hello Mopar Fans! I have a 62' Valiant and I am considering an upgrade to replace my carburetor to

• Good Idea?

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Bad Idea?

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
-

Mike Cummins

Reaction score
Hello Mopar Fans! I have a 62' Valiant and I am considering an upgrade to replace my carburetor to a fuel injection system (Holley ?)

Has anyone had any experience with this modification. I would be interested in your opinion.

IMG_20180602_104821.jpg

My first question would be why? Is it running badly now?

Hello Mopar Fans! I have a 62' Valiant and I am considering an upgrade to replace my carburetor to a fuel injection system (Holley ?)

Has anyone had any experience with this modification. I would be interested in your opinion.

View attachment 1715445652

that is a great looking Valiant. I have installed MPFI on the slant in the 68 Barracuda. I used a Megasquirt. For me it was worth the effort as I use the car for drag racing and I was after a performance edge with fuel tuning at the track. For a street only car, especially something a clean and nostalgic as yours, I would think twice. If you go with a full fuel return system, you will be dropping the tank, adding a return line and an in tank pump. Go with one of the circulating systems you will be adding under hood components.

Its your car but for something as clean as yours I would stay with a carb, even if you are wanting better performance.

that is a great looking Valiant. I have installed MPFI on the slant in the 68 Barracuda. I used a Megasquirt. For me it was worth the effort as I use the car for drag racing and I was after a performance edge with fuel tuning at the track. For a street only car, especially something a clean and nostalgic as yours, I would think twice. If you go with a full fuel return system, you will be dropping the tank, adding a return line and an in tank pump. Go with one of the circulating systems you will be adding under hood components.

Its your car but for something as clean as yours I would stay with a carb, even if you are wanting better performance.
Thanks for the advice. You have a good point!

Maybe a little better starting and drivability. On the other hand, I may not want to loose the originality.
Unless the car has a worn motor,
with a proper tune up (points, wires, cap and rotor, wires, valves properly adjusted) starting and drivability, within reason should be fine.
The exterior of the car looks great. Was any restoration done on the engine?
You may want to get a base line by checking the engine compression, another thing to watch on these older cars is the timing ring on the front damper can slip, resulting in a retarded initial timing being set on the engine.
There are many knowledgeable folks on this forum, you may want to start by describing the starting / drivability issue.

Maybe a little better starting and drivability. On the other hand, I may not want to loose the originality.

They do really well even compared to modern vehicles when everything is right. I wonder maybe if it is out of tune or something is wrong? Has the fuel system ever been gone through? The tank removed and cleaner properly and the fuel lines along with the carburetor cleaned and rebuilt with a proper kit? I say proper, because not all kits are created equal.

Unless the car has a worn motor,
with a proper tune up (points, wires, cap and rotor, wires, valves properly adjusted) starting and drivability, within reason should be fine.
The exterior of the car looks great. Was any restoration done on the engine?
You may want to get a base line by checking the engine compression, another thing to watch on these older cars is the timing ring on the front damper can slip, resulting in a retarded initial timing being set on the engine.
There are many knowledgeable folks on this forum, you may want to start by describing the starting / drivability issue.

You treed me. lol

You can do a returnless EFI system with the addition of a simple surge tank in the engine bay. stock Low pressure fuel pump rerouted to surge tank regulated by a float: submered self contained high pressure pump out to EFI rail and a return to same tank. About the size of a milk jug and only 2 new EFI grade hoses. Other than the cold start and possibly scant better mileage, TB EFI will do little to the performance of a 100HP slant without other supporting mods, ie. cam, headers, forced induction...you may have better bang per buck with just a credit card sized Megajolt Jr. EDIS system tailored to a programmable custom ignition curve and a 2.25" headpipe.

Hey Rusty, I thin

Hey Rusty, I agree with you. I am going to get the carb overhauled and do a major tune up.

I think it's worth a try! Rather than all the junkety junk you get in parts stores, here's a link to a place to where you can get some actually good carburetor kits.

Daytona Parts Home

If your serious about finding more info on injected slants, check out slantsix.org.
Lots of guys there have done it.

Port fuel would be cool. Has anybody here done that?

Several folks have MPFI on Slant Six motors. I have it on mine.
Use a MS3Pro to run fuel and ignition. Use a ported GM Vortec throttle body, all GM sensors, Ford 7.5L fuel injectors, mounted in a Clifford intake where I drilled the nitrous boses to accept the injectors. I will see if I have a recent photo available to post.

-
Back