Fuel/Water Temp Gauge Issue Found! Now what...

-
Yeah i had an extra circuit board so I put that in. still no dice. I am going to replace the IVR and cross my fingers. the gauge will move from below empty to the empty line if that makes sense (yes its not empty) but will not move when I ground the sender wire.
OK, the gauge needle has a home position at switch off and where it goes to at switch on which is at minimum, the 'E'. So if the float has a hole and filled with fuel, you would still see this small movement, regardless how much fuel is in there.
If you pull the blue wire off the sender and short it to ground the gauge needle should go to full because sender is out of the picture.
So from all I read here, my best guess is the gauge/needle movement is the problem. In some cases damaged bezel parts cause the needle to hang. More often, the winding on the bimetal beam inside the gauge has so much crap collected on it that its like a cast on your arm, It just can't move. To throw a new limiter or regulator at it wont break the bank. The clue is the temp gauge. If it works, the limiter is working.

OK, the gauge needle has a home position at switch off and where it goes to at switch on which is at minimum, the 'E'. So if the float has a hole and filled with fuel, you would still see this small movement, regardless how much fuel is in there.
If you pull the blue wire off the sender and short it to ground the gauge needle should go to full because sender is out of the picture.
So from all I read here, my best guess is the gauge/needle movement is the problem. In some cases damaged bezel parts cause the needle to hang. More often, the winding on the bimetal beam inside the gauge has so much crap collected on it that its like a cast on your arm, It just can't move. To throw a new limiter or regulator at it wont break the bank. The clue is the temp gauge. If it works, the limiter is working.
Yeah the temp gauge isnt working either and I actually swapped out gauges too. last thing i have to try is the ivr. it will be here tomorrow.

-
Back