Funerals

-
They played "Another one bites the dust" at my cousin's funeral
I have a story about that song. Remember the missing and murdered children case in Atlanta back in the 80s? Serial killer stuff. They ended up arresting and convicting a guy named Wayne Williams in that case. Anyway, the FM radio station Z93 pretty popular back then. We had it on at home and the DJ came on and actually dedicated Another One Bites The Dust to the missing and murdered children in Atlanta. Of course, after the song the station manager came on and apologized profusely and explained that the DJ was no longer with the station. True story.

Last edited:
As someone who has attended a fair share of funerals, I strongly believe that it's not appropriate to have music playing during the service. A funeral should be a solemn and respectful occasion, where people can pay their respects and say goodbye to their loved ones.
You joined FABO just to get that off your chest???

10wz25.jpg

Played "Don't stop Believe'n" by Journey at our Daughters and Styx "Come sail away" at my Sister's. Makes you sit back and think when they come on the radio. Great when you're just cutting the grass with your radio headset on and nobody can see you shed a tear !

I know it's done to death (yes terrible pun) but how about "tears in heaven" ?

My dad liked CCR. I wanted to play “long as I can see the light” as we were exiting the funeral but my sisters would not have it. I probably could have snuck it in there but I refrained.
The fun part of this is that as I was heading to the funeral home to meet with my step mom and make his funeral arrangements, a Blackfoot pulled up beside me at a stop light in his Jeep with the windows rolled down and was cranking out the song.

When my cousin died, like I said they played his favorite song "Another one bites the dust. He specified that nobody would wear black but bright colours. He was a member of the Jaguar Club U.K. and one guy showed up in a Jag racing suit with the helmet and a bowtie.
They placed the hood of a Jag on top of his casket as well.
He'd be laughing I'm sure. That's just the kind of guy he was, full of fun

Wonder if anyone played “highway to hell”?

I have a story about that song. Remember the missing and murdered children case in Atlanta back in the 80s? Serial killer stuff. They ended up arresting and convicting a guy named Wayne Williams in that case. Anyway, the FM radio station Z93 pretty popular back then. We had it on at home and the DJ came on and actually dedicated Another One Bites The Dust to the missing and murdered children in Atlanta. Of course, after the song the station manager came on and apologized profusely and explained that the DJ was no longer with the station. True story.
When Howard Stern was in Detroit, he played "another kid in the crawl"...when the Gacy thing was big.

This one was played at my good friends funeral...about the third note of the song someone hollered out, "Turn it up!"

I think of him every time I hear it on the radio.

Last edited:
My wife's father requested Tex Ritter's "Just Beyond the Moon" at his funeral, which brought everyone to tears, knowing how much he loved his wife.

At mine I'd like them to play "Last Train Home" by Pat Metheny.

But more in-line with this thread: When I told my wife I'd really like them to play Pink Floyd's "The Great Gig in the Sky", she said "Ab-so-lute-ly not!"

Last edited:
iron butterfly ''in a gadda da vita'' or chambers brothers ''the time has come today'' and all should be playing them on a kavoo

Look up Willie Nelson’s “Goin’ Home” on YouTube. It is from the point of view of the person in the casket.

The album is “Yesterday’s Wine.” Tells a great story.

My wifes family puts on the best funerals (yes shes alive and kicking). But they post pics of great times in the celebrants life and its a time of fun and laughter and reminiscing about the high points. Everyone leaves with their spirit uplifted. My kind of sendoff!

I remember that deal. There was another version of the song that got played on a few stations "Another one rides the bus!" :realcrazy:
Weird AL Yankovic! Another gets on, and another gets on, another one rides the bus! Hey! Who's gonna sit by you? Another one rides the bus!

Last edited:
-
Back