Garage Squad on Motor Trend TV

-
just watched an episode where they put a posi in a 71 dart
pretty disappointing coming from a guy who "claims" to be a mopar guy
I've seen that episode and caught that, too.

Posi SG.jpg

This friggin show.....
How humiliating it should be to be an able bodied guy and resort to having other men come to your house to finish your car.
To some guys, that is on par with letting other dudes mount your woman because you can't or won't do it anymore.
Pathetic.
If a man is disabled, that is another matter but most of these owners just look like idiots.

I was behind the scenes for a whole day of Truck U show with Bruno and Matt. They were doing a promo for one of our products that came out on the show. Bruno is a driver, and from what I could tell he is not much of a mechanic or an enthusiast, Matt was no better. When I asked Bruno what he drove he said that a BMW, LOL. They film in the Tampa area in a very small warehouse. That is the same warehouse they use to film All Girls Garage, and I think the other one is 2 guys garage. The warehouse is set up in such a way as 3 corners are used for filming. One corner has Truck U, one corner has 2 Guys Garage (I think), and the other corner has 3 Girls Garage. The guys you see on TV, in Truck U's case it would be Bruno and Matt, literally do nothing but talk to the camera. They have 2 other guys there that do all the wrenching. On the day we were there they were installing custom bumpers on a Truck. These 2 guys would basically remove the bumper, then put it back in with a couple of loose screws, so that they could then go in and film Bruno and Matt taking that last screw off the bumper and removing it. Immediately after that the 2 unknown guys would go nuts putting in the aftermarket bumper and they would leave the screws loose, then they would film Bruno and Matt just tightening the screws down. Neither Bruno nor Matt ever got their hands dirty. They never wrench on those cars, it is all done through the magic of film. If at some point Matt or Bruno could not get something in, they would stop filming and get the 2 background guys to put the part in, so that they could continue filming.

I was with one of our employees and I guess her whole world was rocked when she saw this. She told me that she had watched 2 Guys Garage since she was a little girl and she idolized those guys. She basically figured out, from seeing what we were seeing, that it was all a show, and that they actually did no wrenching on the show.

More interesting than that is that the whole show is paid for by the manufacturers of the parts they are putting on. Every single part that is put on one of those cars is given to the show for free, and the manufacturer is paying a pretty penny to have it on the show. They have a list of cars that that they give you when you want to advertise with them. They have which vehicles are coming up next and what they already have setup in parts for them. You then choose what parts you make that can work on the cars they are working on and pay them for it. The cars are privately owned by locals and are provided to the show for free.

I like Iron Resurrection and Tx metal. They show people actually doing something.
Dudes that wear flat bill hats all the time are annoying.
Flat bill and black hooded sweatshirts seem to be the standard uniform for some guys. How original.....

1 FPP.JPG

More interesting than that is that the whole show is paid for by the manufacturers of the parts they are putting on. Every single part that is put on one of those cars is given to the show for free, and the manufacturer is paying a pretty penny to have it on the show.

nothing surprising about that. its no different then car magazines.

Dudes that wear flat bill hats all the time are annoying.
Flat bill and black hooded sweatshirts seem to be the standard uniform for some guys. How original.....

View attachment 1716074311
Since I am old and old school I have no use for stupid hats, shorts,and evensilly wheels/tires! But....This TV car show stuff is a lot of Hollywood but I like the ability to see some actual work even though I have no interestin buldingthat vehicle. Some of the "stars" are good guys some are ego assholes. Still TV Hollywood stuff.

Agree with post above. People on here have pissed and moaned till the pages are blue about Graveyard Carz and/or Mark Worman. At least on his show, you see the actual people doing some work.

Joe and his wife regularly race their Mopars at Great Lakes Dragaway in Union Grove, WI. Pretty nice guy, no holier than thou attitude.

xcz3pxWBaRS2ev5AHaE7?w=267&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.jpg

b5iO2bv-3asd5EcgHaEr?w=282&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.jpg

Those guys/gal are a bunch of hacks saw the episode where they put new headers and tailpipes on the car but left the ratty rusted rest of the exhaust in place=Mickey Mouse!!!

Heather Storm is the blonde twin (seriously) to a girl I dated many years ago. If I had a picture of her you would swear they were at least sisters. She loved working on cars and didn't mind getting dirt or grease under her nails.
I can't stand Texas Metal. His truck builds look like refugees from an 80s monster truck junkyard.:rolleyes:
I don't watch very many car shows any more. If they aren't working on an import it's a late-model Furd or Chivvy. I did catch All Girls Garage where they added the exhaust speakers to a Mustang Mach E. :rofl:

Those guys/gal are a bunch of hacks saw the episode where they put new headers and tailpipes on the car but left the ratty rusted rest of the exhaust in place=Mickey Mouse!!!
They do a car in a week with four people at no cost (that I'm aware of) to the owner. They have to make decisions on time, materials, and budget in a very compressed schedule. Some of the cars don't get all the spit and polish that they need because of that. You don't see them doing a lot of body work because that is a huge time sink. In the end they get the car going safely down the road. Leaving some of the orginal parts on there is part of the game in order to get done. The bald dude that does the electrical knows his chit.

I was behind the scenes for a whole day of Truck U show with Bruno and Matt. They were doing a promo for one of our products that came out on the show. Bruno is a driver, and from what I could tell he is not much of a mechanic or an enthusiast, Matt was no better. When I asked Bruno what he drove he said that a BMW, LOL. They film in the Tampa area in a very small warehouse. That is the same warehouse they use to film All Girls Garage, and I think the other one is 2 guys garage. The warehouse is set up in such a way as 3 corners are used for filming. One corner has Truck U, one corner has 2 Guys Garage (I think), and the other corner has 3 Girls Garage. The guys you see on TV, in Truck U's case it would be Bruno and Matt, literally do nothing but talk to the camera. They have 2 other guys there that do all the wrenching. On the day we were there they were installing custom bumpers on a Truck. These 2 guys would basically remove the bumper, then put it back in with a couple of loose screws, so that they could then go in and film Bruno and Matt taking that last screw off the bumper and removing it. Immediately after that the 2 unknown guys would go nuts putting in the aftermarket bumper and they would leave the screws loose, then they would film Bruno and Matt just tightening the screws down. Neither Bruno nor Matt ever got their hands dirty. They never wrench on those cars, it is all done through the magic of film. If at some point Matt or Bruno could not get something in, they would stop filming and get the 2 background guys to put the part in, so that they could continue filming.

I was with one of our employees and I guess her whole world was rocked when she saw this. She told me that she had watched 2 Guys Garage since she was a little girl and she idolized those guys. She basically figured out, from seeing what we were seeing, that it was all a show, and that they actually did no wrenching on the show.

More interesting than that is that the whole show is paid for by the manufacturers of the parts they are putting on. Every single part that is put on one of those cars is given to the show for free, and the manufacturer is paying a pretty penny to have it on the show. They have a list of cars that that they give you when you want to advertise with them. They have which vehicles are coming up next and what they already have setup in parts for them. You then choose what parts you make that can work on the cars they are working on and pay them for it. The cars are privately owned by locals and are provided to the show for free.
I have lost interest in watching a lot of these shows after I googled if certain shows were fake or not.

The more I searched the more showed as being fake - or at least containing "manufactured drama".

Overhauling came in as one with the least fakeness about it - although they do edit in such a way as to add a bit of drama. I saw the advert for the next episode of "Below Deck", where a passenger/guest supposedly arrived by chance, and was an ex-Tinder date of one crew member. You can't tell me that the TV Producers didn't scour the world searching for such a match. It's all just a load of BS.

Drama for the sake of TV ratings. Entertainment value is what you perceive. I have more fun working now on my vehicles and mowing the lawns. :rolleyes:

One of the worst was "Desert Car Kings" featuring a mish-mash crew working at a junkyard in Arizona.

I doubt there are very many people that are actually interested in what actually goes on in a restorastion shop or garage. Wayne Carini and the folks from Legendary Motorcars do a pretty good job of giving people an idea of the business in a small time frame over a larger period of time, but for day to day operations, it's not very entertaining.

I think it's funny when people here say they won't get viewers without manufactured drama.

I always counter with "This Old House"- over 40 years running and you DO see who's doing the work, whether it's the hosts, or sub-contractors. Almost zero manufactured drama, not even really any fake deadlines.

That formula must work for a few viewers.

I think Garage Squad is a lot of human interest about the owner. Usually someone deemed worthy and not someone just too lazy.
I'm glad I tinker with my old cars with NO deadline!!

I think Garage Squad is a lot of human interest about the owner
Exactly ..... someone has usually died, or has cancer, or is a paraplegic. I don't think you qualify to be on the show unless you have one of those attributes.
There needs to be a huge tale of woe attached to the story of the car being worked on.

I think it's funny when people here say they won't get viewers without manufactured drama.

I always counter with "This Old House"- over 40 years running and you DO see who's doing the work, whether it's the hosts, or sub-contractors. Almost zero manufactured drama, not even really any fake deadlines.

That formula must work for a few viewers.

I had an idea for a show and sent it to a few people. Dennis Gage is the only one who responded and he said the idea needed more fake drama...

-
Back