Gas strut for trunk. Help needed

-

rod7515

Reaction score
I need to find a gas strut that will hold the weight of my trunk deck lid. That one that on there now worked for about 2 days but never had enough pressure to push up and it would barely hold it in place. It's a cheap ebay style. I'm attaching pics of it with this post.
From the center of the bottom pivot to the end of the body is about 10.5". Any longer and it will not compress short enough to work. Would be nice to get one that had a thicker body and more pressure. Any ideas how to know what to buy and where to find something that will work? Let me know what more information I may need. I do not know the weight of the trunk deck but am working with a 66 dart.
Will need to do the same with my hood as I've changed that over as well. I can weigh the hood as I have a spare one here.
Thanks Rod

20200503_085540.jpg

20200503_085544.jpg

I need to find a gas strut that will hold the weight of my trunk deck lid. That one that on there now worked for about 2 days but never had enough pressure to push up and it would barely hold it in place. It's a cheap ebay style. I'm attaching pics of it with this post.
From the center of the bottom pivot to the end of the body is about 10.5". Any longer and it will not compress short enough to work. Would be nice to get one that had a thicker body and more pressure. Any ideas how to know what to buy and where to find something that will work? Let me know what more information I may need. I do not know the weight of the trunk deck but am working with a 66 dart.
Will need to do the same with my hood as I've changed that over as well. I can weigh the hood as I have a spare one here.
Thanks Rod

View attachment 1715521202

View attachment 1715521204
Did you know there's a write up on this in the "How to" section here. Check it out, looks to be very good.
It's in the body work area towards the bottom of the list.

What is the reason for using a strut vs the stock springs?

What is the reason for using a strut vs the stock springs?
Only thing i can think of is it removes the two rods and sliders, cleans up the hood and trunk areas.
I've seen it done very nicely but you have a ram you have to replace when they go bad. Just an option.

I did the struts to mine because it looks cleaner in my opinion, it removes some weight, and I dont have to worry about greasing the slides on the track for the spring rods. However if I cant find the right strut I may have to go back which could be a problem because when I did the tub in the rear I had to cut out the mounting if I remember correcting. However that was a long time ago. I'll check out the article that was reference however I think I saw that before and his struts were mounted different then mine.
Rod

Mopar Tim, I remember seeing that before but couldnt remember who did it. What it is under so I can look it up. Also do you know the weight of the trunk deck. If I remember your struts are located at a different place inside the trunk.
Thanks Rod

if you got a scale. prop the hood onto scale where the strut will attach and weigh from the mount point. Youll find out a 60 lb hood weighs about 200lb 6" from the hinge. Then you just buy it by capacity and compressed/extended length. Also check the pressure it takes to push the trunk down. Old Lexus hoods used to taco if the new replacement struts were too beefy.

Pishta
Thanks for that information. What company/website can I do the calculation on their website. I can check the weight tomorrow then start looking for the strut that will work.
Thanks Rod

-
Back