Gas Tank and Sending Unit Recommendations

-

Southside

Reaction score
Need to replace the gas tank on the '72 Dart. I am looking for recommendations of a good quality new tank and unit. No Chinese junk. I am not interested in a fuel cell. I thought some members may have replaced theirs recently and could advise me on where to get a quality product. Thanks.

I can't seem to find who makes the gas tank for RockAuto as I looked on their website. They were fairly general as to where they get their parts but not too specific as to where the gas tank may come from. Williaml did yours say where it was made?

Rockauto tanks are made in Canada by Spectra. No Chinese junk there...

You've received the gas tank covered,but do think about the sending unit !! 3 sizes to choose from, 5/16",3/8"and 1/2" !! I goofed and got a 5/16.Do yourself a favor and go with the 3/8" unless you're going to play seriously,then go the 1/2" ! the 3/8 will cover most anything you put in your car,I just want the added insurance the way my build is going !!

Ditto. I would install a 3/8" sender w/ return tube, in case you later go EFI. I got several for ~$45 on ebay. I didn't check if made in China since I don't discriminate. The only problem is the return tube is 1/4" so a slight restriction for a high-volume EFI pump.

So, if you don't mind me tagging on the coattails of this thread...

If I get a 3/8" sender, do I need to replace the fuel line with 3/8", or can I keep the stock one for now (then replace with 3/8" when I upgrade the engine)? I always assumed I had to replace both at once.

A 3/8 tube on the sender wont make any difference if the rest of the tubing isn't 3/8 also.

A 3/8 tube on the sender wont make any difference if the rest of the tubing isn't 3/8 also.

Of course it won't make a difference. That's not what I meant. I meant CAN I install the 3/8" sender now...... then install the 3/8" tubing later when I upgrade the engine... instead of having to install a stock sender now, then replace it with a 3/8" sender later. Does my question make more sense now?

Yeah you could do that. You'll need to find some sort of adapter for the 2 tubing sizes that wont leak.

Yeah you could do that. You'll need to find some sort of adapter for the 2 tubing sizes that wont leak.

That was my concern too... maybe I'll just leave it as is until I put the 8 in, we'll see. Wasn't sure if it would cause any other problem. Thanks for the reply.

Sure. You can probably get a 3/8" hose to clamp tight on your 5/16" tubing. Best to use "fuel injection" hose, but the older "carb" hose is more flexible. Most people add 3/8" tube for EFI and use their 5/16" tube for return. I suggest flaring the 1/4" return on the sender for less pressure drop (maybe cut the bump off first), since I measure 9 psi return drop with my Walbro EFI pump, which is a bit high.

-
Back