gauges

-

shanedy

Reaction score
Trying to replace fuel and temp gauges on a 1971 dart swinger. Took speedometer cable off the trans and 5 screws to pull out cluster panel. After a few hours cant free the panel from dash. Lowered steering wheel to gain some room still stuck. Wiring in back seem to be free, with plenty of slack for panel to move. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Should be a big round wire bundle be careful not to break pins. Could also have a vacume hose if you have a performance indicator.

Be careful Unhook battery ground. Best to drop the column. Unbolt the floor plate around the column, and there's at least three bolts hold the column up. Watch for linkage if you have a column shift. You'll need to unhook the ammeter wires and unplug the harness connector at rear of the cluster, and the speedo cable.

Download a service manual for free, here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

You'll need to take the speedo cable off the instrument, not the trans.
Moving the fuse box makes moving the headlight switch easier. Then you have ample room to reach in disconnect and reconnect the speedo cable.

Be careful Unhook battery ground. Best to drop the column. Unbolt the floor plate around the column, and there's at least three bolts hold the column up. Watch for linkage if you have a column shift. You'll need to unhook the ammeter wires and unplug the harness connector at rear of the cluster, and the speedo cable.

Download a service manual for free, here:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?p=1970088617

You'll need to take the speedo cable off the instrument, not the trans.
Moving the fuse box makes moving the headlight switch easier. Then you have ample room to reach in disconnect and reconnect the speedo cable.

Note these two statements.

Get a long screw driver and place it in the dash just above the cluster as you start to rock it out. There is a metal tab/bar that hangs down under the dash that will catch the wire harness bundle. Use the long screw driver to push the harness down to clear that tab/bar and the cluster should fall out. I discovered this hang up the first time I tried to take out my cluster.

Get a long screw driver and place it in the dash just above the cluster as you start to rock it out. There is a metal tab/bar that hangs down under the dash that will catch the wire harness bundle. Use the long screw driver to push the harness down to clear that tab/bar and the cluster should fall out. I discovered this hang up the first time I tried to take out my cluster.

did you take out steering column also

No need to do that. Just like the other guys in the thread said, remove the three bolts at the firewall, then remove the nuts and one bolt that hold the column support bracket up under the dash, unplug the wire harness on the column, and then the column should fall down several inches giving you plenty of room to get the cluster out.

did you take out steering column also

No need to do that. Just like the other guys in the thread said, remove the three bolts at the firewall, then remove the nuts and one bolt that hold the column support bracket up under the dash, unplug the wire harness on the column, and then the column should fall down several inches giving you plenty of room to get the cluster out.

Thanks to all replies. Great info great forum!

-
Back