Gear drive!

-

69Dart

Reaction score
hey guys im wanting to run a gear drive on my 383! the motors goin to a 68 dart! umm is there any draw backs to a gear drive or is a timing chain better? or belt drive? best brands on gear belt and chain drives please?

I've heard "each to their own" on this topic. Keeps good timing...Some sound great like a "blower" some sound bad like somethings broken. I would like to have one myself but their very $$$ for Chrysler (That sucks). I'm sure you will get more input from others.
Cheers

Gear drives are expensive to purchase, and they are rarely drop in, usually requiring some work.

Another downside is that they are more prone to transfer vibrations between the crank and cam, where as a chain will more readily absorb the vibrations.

Personally I wouldn't run one unless you needed the extra strength. A friend has one in his twin turbo belvedere, and it sounds ruthless. Not to mention it confuses people because they think it's supercharged, until he step on the throttle and the turbos spool up .:thumbup:

I bought one just for the noise they make...I nver ended up using it tho. Stay away from the cheaper ones..they are no better than a timing chain for accuracy. Mines a Milodon, and my guess is, some blocks may need a little clearancing (like a hand grinder deal) and some it will drop right in..You wont really know until you own it and try to bolt it on the block you're using.

Stay away from a gear drive if you are running a distributor. The harmonics passing thru the gears causes spark fluctuations when using a distributor. On a dyno this showed about a 2 - 5 hp lose thru the rpm range. You should run a crank trigger system with a gear drive. There is nothing wrong with a good high quality chain or the belt drive system. If you want the noise of a gear drive just for the noise then that is just bling, in other words sounds fast but isn't.

I Ran A Pete Jackson On My 69 340, A Little Noisey Sounds Like A Blower, That Had 2 Idler Gears In It Make Sure You Set Your Marks Right If You Put It In, I Was Happy With Mine, A Little Expensive Though, Good Luck!!!

LOL..that's the first time I ever thought of it as bling...But you're right. The most economical way is a chain, the best overall is a belt. It does look cool tho....

-
Back