Gen III Hemi with 4-speed?

-
Cool. Thanks!

I see you Megasquirted yours. Running all the factory stuff? Or GM/Delphi like the Hemitronix?

I actually went with GM stuff for the most part. However, I have the odd duck of the group because I'm still using an MSD to control the spark which uses the stock Hemi cam and crank sensors. My Megasquirt gets a tach signal from the MSD box and just runs in batch fire mode, so I don't have sequential injection support, but also don't really care too much. I got the sensors with my computer setup, so I just swapped them in since it was a direct replacement for me and I didn't have to worry about recalibrating. Water temp senders are identical (aside from a different wiring connector I believe), and the air temp sender plugged right into a tapped hole that was already on my Indy intake. Throttle body is a Accel DFI unit that I think uses a Jeep style IAC and Ford TPS with a GM plug or something silly like that, so my setup is all over the board for components, but works just fine.

As said by others though, there's no reason you can't use the factory stuff minus a throttle body swap. My build is pretty one of a kind and pieced together because I originally performed a carb swap on the engine build and later came across a smoking deal on the computer so I just tried to use as much of what I already had as opposed to trying to keep things one brand. Replacing parts can be tricky from time to time since you have to know what came off what, but frankly my whole car was like that when I bought it. E body front brakes, C body radiator, now a B body axle, and all different years to boot, so going to the part store is always an adventure.

So (and I'm only trying to clarify, so excuse my ignorance) you're saying that using the MS will allow me the full programability of the Hemitronix, without requiring the removal of the crankshaft to change the crank position sensor for compatability with the Delphi system? And aside from the time consumption of the DIY factor involved with the MS, it'll be pretty much as plug'n'play? I understand I may be oversimplifying some of that, but I've got 2 on the go. 1 is a customer's, and he'll buy the Hemitronix, I'll get paid to do the work. The second is for myself, and is therefore somewhat more budget conscious. I did a MS setup 10 years ago for a 408, but we were not dealing with SMPI on that. I want this the way I used to want my women... Easy AND cheap!lol

The Megasquirt system is dang near as universal as you can get. There has been so much development on it over the years that you can make it work with just about anything if you're patient enough. It's probably pretty close to the cheapest injection setup you can get, and really not necessarily that difficult (in my opinion at least), but it very like takes the most patience of any of them out there. A ground up MS build isn't exactly plug and play, but you can start easy and gradually work your way up too. For instance, I started with basic O2 feedback and IAC control and have gradually worked up to PID O2 feedback and still working on closed loop IAC on and off. One of these days I hope to get some rudimentary knock control if I can figure out the sensors.

However, there is a plug and play Hemi MS system now. The Megasquirt Gold has a Hemi configuration that comes with a harness and is preprogrammed to work with all the stock sensors I believe. Granted your tuning might have to change depending on your particular engine build, but it looks like a pretty slick unit. I believe the going price for the whole system was around $1200 last I saw it.

I wish the EFI source had been around before I built my MS3. I saved a few hundred dollars by building my own box, but I would like the durability of a potted box designed for underhood mounting.

Obviously I'm reinforcing the decision I've already made, but I believe that MS3 is the best value in terms of Hemi engine swap.

Regards

Joe Dokes

sorry guys new at this site but buschi340 was drilling the flywheel hard to do? was there any balance problem ? and what you guys do about the bushing at the end of the crank ?
but the biggest question is how are these cars after the swap from a 340 or 360 to a 5.7 or 6.1 how's the power and drivable ?

Depends on how you build your engine, but if you're coming from a fairly built 340/360 to a mostly stock 5.7 or 6.1 your drivability would probably get better. Power is probably pretty comparable too as a stock 5.7 starts right around 350 hp, a stock 6.1 a little over 400 (425 I think?). Go for the later year engines and those numbers bump even a tad higher. The fun part is that is just where they start and with zero mods. A few bolts on and you can easily get a 5.7 over 400 hp without any real difference in their behavior.

For your bushing question, do you mean any bushing that might already be in the crank or do you mean putting in one for a manual? If you're talking about the bushing that might already be there, you have to cut it out so you can install the register style pilot bearing/bushing. A die grinder with a carbide bit is the easy way from what I've seen, though I didn't have one. I spent the majority of an evening with a Dremel and chisel and finally managed to cut mine out.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Thanks for your reply yes I guess it a1969 340 with a cam still good power but I need a new crank now and seen that this was popular swap now was going to do a 408 build. The biggest thing is in 5 years you be kicking theses motor out you way at the scrap yards .
Yes I was talking about the bushing in the end of the crank where did you get one or can you reuse your old one from 340 ?
But I guess the big question is if you had it to do all over again would you ? is it worth it ?
Thanks for the reply

I think you could reuse the bushing in the 340 if it's the large style one. I think that stuff has been the same for a long time. I know the bushing I bought was technically for a Dakota or Jeep or something like that from the 90's-2000's.

As for doing it again, in my specific case it's a bit of a "sorta". I have a really wacky build that I don't think anyone would want to duplicate because of how I got where I got. I would do it again, but I would do it a little differently. My swap started as a stock 5.7 with a carb and MSD ignition controller, then I swapped to a Megasquirt fuel injection setup with an aftermarket intake (still with the MSD ignition), then I swapped a cam, then I redid the whole wire harness to better integrate the new wires. If I were to do it again I would try to really plan everything out better and do it all at once a little more cleanly. Admittedly my swap was somewhat intentionally done in steps because I wanted to keep driving the car. If I would have waited until everything fell together it would have been years before I would have been able to enjoy the car.

Long story short, the main reason I did the swap was because of the potential the newer engines have. I looked into stroker small blocks, supercharged small blocks, aluminum big blocks, and the new Hemis. They all were coming in with similar bottom line prices and the Hemi was the first thing I found a deal on. For me, half the fun is the project itself. Figuring out how to make it work is frustrating from time to time, but also rewarding. My car is one of a kind as far as I'm concerned, and that's part of the fun.

two main Points for me as well:
half the fun is the project itself
My car is one of a kind as far as I'm concerned, and that's part of the fun.

But also the reliability of a modern engine under high Speed on Autobahn for lotsa miles :)

We tack-welded a steel sleeve to the original sleeve in the crank and used a slide hammer - came right out.
WE then installed a roller bearing 53009180AB.

IMG_0454.JPG

IMG_0456.JPG

IMG_0468.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

Ah, that's very clever on removing that bushing. I kept what was left of mine as a trophy. I couldn't believe the punishment that thing took without coming out.

-
Back