Getting hammered with pop up adds here

-

Tony Fields

That's How I Roll
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm about ready to just lay low for a while. Every time I sign on to
FABO I get hit with all kinds of advertising.

Anybody else having this problem?

Nope. What are you running for browser, search engine, pop up blocker etc.

I'm about ready to just lay low for a while. Every time I sign on to
FABO I get hit with all kinds of advertising.

Anybody else having this problem?

what browser are you using? is it internet explorer? if so get that garbage off of your computer.

run something like firefox or google chrome. get the ad block plug in and the do not track me ad on and you won't see all that pop up crap..

Well, Firefox is a good start. At the top click on tools>add ons> and look for "adblock plus popup addon 0.3" add that to Firefox.

Go to tools>options>content tab and make sure you have "block pop up windows" checked.

I would also switch to Bing for your search engine, Yahoo, Google and the like can create some of the problems you are experiencing.

One more thing go to: http://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=search-brand-us

Download the free version, that is quite sufficient to do what you need. After you download it, run a scan on your PC, I bet it finds all kinds of Trojan Horses.

All you need to scan is your C drive, if you have an external drive it probably isn't necessary to scan it, as most things are written for C.

No problem here, Tony. The only pop up I get is a picture of your car each time I log on, and I love it. I just assumed you set it up for me and infected my computer - LOL! Just kidding...

Sounds like it is time for you to visit your local chip head and have them clean up your computer.

Happy New Year!

Ma Snart

Attachments

• DSCN4900%20(Medium).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 297
No problems for me either. Sorry to hear Tony.

The link that Bad Sport posted for malwarebytes is an excellent tool to help clean up your computer. I highly recommend it too :thumblef:

Do popups contain alcohol? :drinkers: :drunken:

Yep there should be a setting to stop phishing and malware. Looks like Badsport is on it.
tmm

sounds like the problem is in your set Tony.
download and run the malwarebytes program. good stuff!

Been working on the desk top computer all day. Down loading
Comodo anti virus at this time......slow......shows it will take
about 5 hours.

I had Comodo on my system but I got a message that it was
out of date. While deleting and downloading new stuff I must have
picked up some junk. It was "Adware.Tracking cookie"

It loaded me up with 173 items. Got rid of them with Super Anti
spyware....thanks 6pkC

Being sent from my laptop

Sounds like we all need to send our electronics to Bruce!!

No popups for me, but all I have left is my phone!! Can't even download pics here anymore!! Argh!! Good luck Tony!! Geof

I'm NO computer whiz, but 5 hours to download your anti-virus doesn't sound right to ME.......:shock: :scratch:

Hopefully someone will chime in with more help for you!!

I'm NO computer whiz, but 5 hours to download your anti-virus doesn't sound right to ME.......:shock: :scratch:

Hopefully someone will chime in with more help for you!!
I could see that if he has dial up. Country folk dont always get city options. lol

Once you are out of the high speed on Hughes net, it drops to dial up speed.

If you want a good anti virus download Avast free edition. It's what I use and it has worked very well for me.

Did you download and install the malwarebytes? If so, I recommend doing a system scan at the very minimum, once a month. If you are online a lot and surf the web a lot, do it more often. You can set it to scan and go to bed, when you get up it's done.

This is how I have my system set up:

Firefox with the adblock addon 0.3.
Bing search engine.
Content> set to block pop ups.
Avast Free Edition anti-virus.

Malwarebytes to clean the files when needed.

It is by far the best combo I have run for quite some time. Knock on wood I have no problems, popups etc.

We dumped Hughes for this very reason, that ridiculous 200mb download thresh hold......For another x amount of $$ they will give you another 100 megs...absolutely stupid. Have to do all down loading after mid-night but before 6 a.m. or something like that....

If you want a good anti virus download Avast free edition. It's what I use and it has worked very well for me.

Did you download and install the malwarebytes? If so, I recommend doing a system scan at the very minimum, once a month. If you are online a lot and surf the web a lot, do it more often. You can set it to scan and go to bed, when you get up it's done.

This is how I have my system set up:

Firefox with the adblock addon 0.3.
Bing search engine.
Content> set to block pop ups.
Avast Free Edition anti-virus.

Malwarebytes to clean the files when needed.

It is by far the best combo I have run for quite some time. Knock on wood I have no problems, popups etc.

Yep, been using malwarebytes for quite a while. I run it at least
once a week.

Got the new Comodo anti virus loaded thru the night. Everything seems
to be back to "normal"

Thanks for the suggestions.

Malwarebytes and Superantispyware are both great free programs, and they can both find different things.
Not a bad idea to have both Tony, and remove everything both of them find.
Neither of the free versions do anything to help on thier own unless you tell them to, like scanning and removal so you need to run them yourself.

Superantispyware loads a system tray icon that can be turned off in the settings if you right click the icon in the tray.
This way it won't load when windows starts.

It sounds like you got most of the problem, but there is a high probability that you still have junk in the system, and running both will minimize that possibility.

Badsport, has always given good advice on this stuff.
I use Comodo also, but Avast is very good too for a free program.

Another good tool is called "AdwCleaner." It runs fairly quick (maybe 5 minutes at most) and it can be a good start to getting rid of things that may be blocking other programs from running. And it is free, too. Glad to hear that you got things straightened out.

Been having another issue. My screen just goes black..sometimes 2 or 3 times
in a row. I don't lose anything when it happens.

It doesn't matter if I am online or not.

Any suggestions.....happened just now while I was typing.

-
Back