Getting the Barracuda back on the road

-
Great work badart!

Rapom 65- how did you fab up your steering shaft? I think that type of setup would be great for my cuda...

Wow, I didn't even notice :banghead: Great to hear that things are going well for you, you are well deserving of it my friend. Got to go check out your site now. Just checked it out looks great and from the sound of thing it should only grow better, Best of luck to ya.

Rapom 65- how did you fab up your steering shaft? I think that type of setup would be great for my cuda...

Sorry not to answer sooner, haven't been on the site for a few days... I did this mod to my 65 Cuda years ago (see link below). The coupler and shaft used to be offered by Flaming River, PN1505M, but is apparently discontinued. It's a length of D shaft with a machined cup on one end. The cup is unsplined and sized for a slip fit over the steering shaft in the column. The articulated coupling is splined for the manual steering box input shaft and the other end mates to the D shaft. I used this to connect my power steering column to my replacement manual steering box. I wanted the joint hidden inside the column's tube so I removed the steering shaft from the column, cut it to length, slid the shaft into the cup and solidly welded the two together then reassembled. I've put the bug in John's ear to start making these but he acts like he's buisy or sumthin! :poke: Just kiddin John...

It's been a while since I have updated this. Funny how wrecking your motorcycle will slow you down.

Well I picked up some cheap 17" x 7.5" Enkei wheels for dirt cheap just for mock up and to get started on my pro touring theme. I may decide to keep them and have them powdercoated black later. The tires that I am using hold air and are a good width at 225/55/17 and will give me an idea of what I have to work with during mock up.

These wheel have almost 6" of back space. This will give me the ability to add billet adapters/spacers to get the clearance that I need. It looks like the front will need 1.25" spacers to clear the coilover hoops and roll bar and the back will need 1.5" to clear the leaf springs and tuck in the wheel well very tight (I might need to do some massaging of the tub) while I do rust repair in the rear quarters over the winter.

Attachments

• 17's.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 312
  • 17's2.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 302
  • 17's3.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 293
  • 17's4.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 308
Hi badart are you still doing the tubular lower arms. I would like to get a set. For my Aussie 65 valiant. I to also have a 65 formula s barracuda. Regards Mick

-
Back