Getting the Barracuda back on the road

-
Looking good John, can't wait to see it with the engine in and it back together.

I own Pg 5.

Well the engine is back in finally. I still have to run the wiring, bleed the brakes and a ton of other stuff. This entire weekend has been one step forward and two steps back. At least the car is getting closer to ride height. The springs look just about right.

Attachments

• 273 in.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 526
  • 273 4.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 512
I must say you work quicker than I do, love the valve covers looking great!

Thank Eric. Notice that I didn't paint anything other than the inner fenders. In a year or two the car will get blown apart for a proper paint job and stroker build. I don't think it makes much sense in making it pretty in the engine bay before then.

What lbs springs are on the front of that one?

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, but It is getting there. My son's birthday was on Saturday so that held me up quite a bit. They are 10" 400lb springs. I may end up going with 450's but I wil see how these do first. The adjusters are backed off all of the way and I still have about another 1" to drop to get it where I want it. We will see. I have to put it on hold for a few days while I take care of some orders.

John, Don't know if you are aware of this but your adjusters should be somewhere between 1/3 to 2/3 of the adjustment length. I have mine just about 1/2 the way and that is with 9" springs.

Thank Eric. Notice that I didn't paint anything other than the inner fenders. In a year or two the car will get blown apart for a proper paint job and stroker build. I don't think it makes much sense in making it pretty in the engine bay before then.

I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, but It is getting there. My son's birthday was on Saturday so that held me up quite a bit. They are 10" 400lb springs. I may end up going with 450's but I wil see how these do first. The adjusters are backed off all of the way and I still have about another 1" to drop to get it where I want it. We will see. I have to put it on hold for a few days while I take care of some orders.

I bought 10" 450's for mine. Reason I did this is because of the extra weight for all the turbo stuff. If I have problems getting it to drop then a 9" spring may be the way to do that like Purplehaze did.

Purplehaze;John, Don't know if you are aware of this but your adjusters should be somewhere between 1/3 to 2/3 of the adjustment length. I have mine just about 1/2 the way and that is with 9" springs.

You are running a Big Block right? What Lbs springs are you using??

This is gonna be a sweet Barracuda-I really dig what you've done with it. Awesome work man!

Jeff

He John i've seen for a week in the Fabo and now
you make so many steps ahead !

i´m so proud of you !

looking awesome John

I have sooooooooooo many fun with my fish ,I hope you have it tooo when you all the work have fixed :)))))))))

I still think it should be painted Mauve when you repaint it. Make the boy stock but have all the goodies that you are making. Would look cool I think with black gut as well. Just me $.02. :D

John, Don't know if you are aware of this but your adjusters should be somewhere between 1/3 to 2/3 of the adjustment length. I have mine just about 1/2 the way and that is with 9" springs.

Once I get the quarters, hood and bumpers on I will crank them up and see what I have.

very sweet barracuda i have a66 that i haven't started on yet but soon i hope keep those pictures and fab'd parts coming

Well I have had road block after road block. It's the domino effect. Swap to 318 heads, then I have to swap the intake, then I have to fab a new throttle cable bracket and kick down linkage because the new intake is different. Don't want to spend $700-$800 for doug's headers so I have to use the factory 273 manifolds that I had already sold. Luckily a great member here hooked me up with a drivers side manifold. :banghead:

It's really close to running. I just have to reinstall the radiator and the wiring harness, replace one more brake line and finish welding up the drivers side exhaust then she is ready to fire up.

Quote: "Don't want to spend $700-$800 for doug's headers so I have to use the factory 273 manifolds that I had already sold."

Hee Hee Hee.... Been there and done that! Now John.... whatcha gona do when you put that stroker in there???

Quote: "Don't want to spend $700-$800 for doug's headers so I have to use the factory 273 manifolds that I had already sold."

Hee Hee Hee.... Been there and done that! Now John.... whatcha gona do when you put that stroker in there???

LOL that's a good point. It will give me time to save for the Dougs headers. LOL

A functional performance exhaust system is absolutely the hardest part of putting a smoking motor in an early A (steering and torsion bars hog the available space). With your fab skills I have no doubt you can build something way kool for less than a set of $800 dollar headers.

A functional performance exhaust system is absolutely the hardest part of putting a smoking motor in an early A (steering and torsion bars hog the available space). With your fab skills I have no doubt you can build something way kool for less than a set of $800 dollar headers.

Thanks for the confidence. LOL. The torsion bars are gone and that opens up quite a bit of space. I have actually been debating making my own out of stainless down the road.

i thing toooo
Yes you can do that John with your fab skills

John - Per your question on steering shaft in PM. Can't get photos to link in PM so I posted here... These ought to be simple to make.
Pic 1 stock coupler
Pic 2 modified steering shaft and new coupler
Pic 3 & 4 closeups
Pic 5 finished result. It's not as close as it appears in this angle. It all tucks in nicely with no rubbing.

Attachments

• Cuda 2.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 353
  • Cuda 20.jpg
    125.3 KB · Views: 366
  • Cuda 21.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 332
  • Cuda 22.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 350
  • Cuda 73.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 341
John - Per your question on steering shaft in PM. Can't get photos to link in PM so I posted here... These ought to be simple to make.
Pic 1 stock coupler
Pic 2 modified steering shaft and new coupler
Pic 3 & 4 closeups
Pic 5 finished result. It's not as close as it appears in this angle. It all tucks in nicely with no rubbing.

Very nice install. I will be contacting you later with more questions.

-
Back