Getting the Barracuda back on the road

-
Then there is hope. I was gonna paint mine back that color cause I liked it. I was also gonna paint my Duster pink. I think it is different and most people don't even know it was a factory color. It takes a real man to wear pink, or in your case drive pink. Would look really good with a black gut. Mine had a black interior and black vinyl top.

Thanks guys. Here is where the early K frame is different in terms of the lower control arms. The sleeve inside of the K member where the factory lower control arm pin rides in is much bigger inside of the K frame so the bushing in my kit will have to fitted and welded in solid. I just used a right angle drill and a step bit to allow the bushing to slide in and get centered. Then it is welded in from both sides. I then welded the 1/8" spacer to the inboard side. I did this with the pivot shaft in place to get it straight. In some ways the early cars are easier than the later cars with this install.

Tomorrow I will use the hole saw to access the bushing to install the set screw.

Attachments

• Kmember mods8.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 674
  • Kmember mods9.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 663
  • Kmember mods10.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 680
  • Kmember mods11.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 659
  • Kmember mods12.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 648
Nice work John again!! I will be installing the rad support bar you sent me as soon as my car is back ready for race season.I,m gonna leave the stock one in and just move the one from you back a few inches(modifiy it abit)Thanks again,I,ll be following your Barracuda build to see your great upgrades.:D

very Nice work John !

Thanks again my German friend.

Nice work John again!! I will be installing the rad support bar you sent me as soon as my car is back ready for race season.I,m gonna leave the stock one in and just move the one from you back a few inches(modifiy it abit)Thanks again,I,ll be following your Barracuda build to see your great upgrades.

Sounds like a plan Scott. Your dart is looking great btw.

Thank you for a very informative build John :cheers:
Like you I would like to set Victoria up as a great handling car for road racing and daily driven and keep my /6 in her.
My 66 will have to be sent out to have work dun to it but I have a great builder just over the hill ready to get started on my dual pot master cylinder and brake lines and frame connectors first.. Subscribed to this build and keeping pictures of your great work here :happy2::happy2:
That K frame looks gerrrrrrrrrrate and looking forward to seeing more on the front end build John =D> I just want balance and smooth no sway turning and stopping :happy2: I am a /6 addict but I will still need an 8 1/4 rear end with new leaf springs, Thank you for your help you are sending my way :rock:

Thank you for a very informative build John :cheers:
Like you I would like to set Victoria up as a great handling car for road racing and daily driven and keep my /6 in her.
My 66 will have to be sent out to have work dun to it but I have a great builder just over the hill ready to get started on my dual pot master cylinder and brake lines and frame connectors first.. Subscribed to this build and keeping pictures of your great work here :happy2::happy2:
That K frame looks gerrrrrrrrrrate and looking forward to seeing more on the front end build John =D> I just want balance and smooth no sway turning and stopping :happy2: I am a /6 addict but I will still need an 8 1/4 rear end with new leaf springs, Thank you for your help you are sending my way :rock:

Thanks Memike. My eventual plans are a decent handling car that can handle these canyon roads around here with a modern sports car. My next step will be swapping out the master cylinder and proportioning valve and run new brake and fuel lines.

Here is the last step for prepping the K member. Used a 1 1/8" hole saw, but I am sure a 7/8" would have worked fine. The sleeve and bushing get drilled and tapped for 1/4-28 set screw to help keep the shaft from spinning once everything is installed. Now it's ready for paint.

Attachments

• Kmember mods13.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 624
Not much to report really. I finished removing the under coating from the passenger inner fender and then wiped the remaining undercoating with acetone. I rebuilt the Carter AFB and welded on a tow loop on to the front of the K member, just in case. It is bent up from some 3/4" tubing that I had laying around. I just have been super busy keeping up with parts orders and getting ready for Vegas.

At least I'm starting to put parts back on the car.

Attachments

• photo(1).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 577
  • photo.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 582
Not much to report really. I finished removing the under coating from the passenger inner fender and then wiped the remaining undercoating with acetone. I rebuilt the Carter AFB and welded on a tow loop on to the front of the K member, just in case. It is bent up from some 3/4" tubing that I had laying around. I just have been super busy keeping up with parts orders and getting ready for Vegas.

At least I'm starting to put parts back on the car.

You're doing some great progress on your car. Can't wait to see the result.

Not much to report, been super busy with the Mats, but I did get a little down time while waiting for tubing to get here. I degreased the engine bay and will clean up some wiring and run my brake lines.

I also started welding in the coilover hoops. I still need to box the shock tower area and weld in the other tube support.

While in Vegas I picked up a master cylinder adapter from Dr Diff so I can run a wilwood master cylinder. I plan on running Cordoba rotors with the adapter for wilwood calipers. It's only money right.

Attachments

• Engine bay.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 533
  • Hoops.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 523
Well right now I am just waiting for my front and rear sway bars to get here so I can make any changes to the k while it is out of the car. Not much to report.

run that sweet thang for the summer!!! Good looking project car!! Good luck with her. Keep us posted.

Awesome. Subscribed. Also a quick question about the coilover hoops. Are those purchased or fabbed? If purchased, can you tell me who makes them, please?

I did a little mock up of the suspension including my tubular upper control arms that I am fabricating. Everything clears, but the hoops will be rubbing if I run a tire with more than 4" of bs. It does look good and so far so good.

Attachments

• mock.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 449
  • mock2.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 450
  • mock3.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 444
  • mock4.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 459
-
Back