goin BB

-
motor plates are a solid mount but work wonders for custom header room. Its not that hard to rig up a mount if you have a picker and a welder. The Streetmaster mounts (65 A to B/RB) I used were just 2 nested U channel pieces that were bolted up like a hinge. The bottom piece bolted to the K and the inner piece rotated up to bolt to the insulators. Very "fabricatable"

motor plates are a solid mount but work wonders for custom header room. Its not that hard to rig up a mount if you have a picker and a welder. The Streetmaster mounts (65 A to B/RB) I used were just 2 nested U channel pieces that were bolted up like a hinge. The bottom piece bolted to the K and the inner piece rotated up to bolt to the insulators. Very "fabricatable"
Big block K-members were only made in 67 - 68, are pricey when you can find them used, and from what I have read, don't work with all RB / B block castings. Direct Connection produced a big block K-member for a few years, but they are pretty scarce now and reportedly were not of the greatest quality when new. Another option is to modify a 73+ small block K-member. Sorry - don't mean to rain the gloom and doom on you, but I just went through this myself trying to figure out my path to a big block swap.

There's lot of good info on this page - definitely worth a read: Tips, Tricks And Tight Spots
thx alot

C3E2B106-CEC7-402A-9B6A-B2F29DD6F97C.jpeg
I am just finishing up my 383 into a 67 barracuda. I would strongly suggest that you do not use the headman headers. Spend $1000 on the correct ones and you’ll be far ahead in the end .
Plan on the Lokar kick down and might as well use their throttle cable as well.
Everyone here says this is not a hard swap but it is by no means easy.
Just finished modifying my steering column and installing a new swivel joint to connect the steering box .

View attachment 1715236745
I am just finishing up my 383 into a 67 barracuda. I would strongly suggest that you do not use the headman headers. Spend $1000 on the correct ones and you’ll be far ahead in the end .
Just finished modifying my steering column and installing a new swivel joint to connect the steering box .
no doubt, hey thx for this, im in wpg, i may PM you for a question or 2[wont bug you], do you know RPM out there, have you dealt with them?

I would be happy to share my challenges and remedies with you. I have lots of pictures and information that will help you out with your project.
Yes I know Brian at RPM.
Send me a pm and we can exchange emails. Jason
Jacks 67 Cuda.jpg

K members are out there. 68-69. 67 is all by itself. They are pricey. I sold one a few weeks ago to a friend (it wasnt nos because it was bolted into a car but never had an engine bolted to it) for $650. I have Schumacher mounts for a sb to bb if you can use them. They were used for mockup. Its an easy swap. I have a 440 no power steering , manual disc brakes. .. good luck!!

cool,426redart@gmail.com i have a '68 Dart GT on a rotisserie all metalwork is done, but not a bolt on it, everything and i mean everything is taken apart on this car, have everything and more, i took over the project off another guy and did all the metalwork myself [rear skins,2 half rear rails trunkdrops outer tubs frontpans frt ds rail pass. half rail torsionbar member, its done, but holy cow is there lots to do, so i found a complete '69 custom slant6 in pretty original condition little rust interior has issues, benchseat headliner and such so i ordered shumachers mountkit and i have a '68 circa 383/727 and im gonna"borrow the 8 3/4 489/3:23 suregrip off the '68, along with the frt disc setup i got these with all in like new shape, so this will give me a jumpstart to GET IN THE DRIVERS SEAT, we are not immortal, so yeh i.ll be in touch thx Rob.

K members are out there. 68-69. 67 is all by itself. They are pricey. I sold one a few weeks ago to a friend (it wasnt nos because it was bolted into a car but never had an engine bolted to it) for $650. I have Schumacher mounts for a sb to bb if you can use them. They were used for mockup. Its an easy swap. I have a 440 no power steering , manual disc brakes. .. good luck!!
on the road last in '98 has 107 on it, im pumped.the 68's wrapped up i moved so its been put to sleep, for now. i cant find any pics right now amazing, ill send em when i find some.

20181006_162058.jpg

I saw a 4 door same year rotting in a yard today next to an RV. I should have asked the old man if he was ever going to get around to "restoring it" ...yeah right.

Well, I didn't feel bad about putting a few dings (and only a few) in a $200 pair of headers but certainly would have been pissed to do the same thing to a $1000 pair. You will also be $800 behind that could have been spent somewhere else... In the end, it's your build, your money, your choices :)

motor plates are a solid mount but work wonders for custom header room.
Not necessarily. I used an AR Engineering plate, but made mounts from a pair of poly strut rod bushings and some angle iron. Basically like the BBD elephant ears mounts but using the motor plate. Make Your Own Elephant Ears Page 4 - Finished Product

I have a set of Schumacher mounts and headers. They have been very good for the street and strip. I would recommend buying the torque strap also, if you plan on running it hard, like down the track.

I used Schumacher mounts and Schumacher headers in 2 different builds 72 440 swinger and 70 440 Duster. Both had manual steering and brakes. One thing i noticed is, the header touched the passenger torsion bar (340 bars) but didnt touch on the Duster with bigger firm feel bars.. just had to cut a notch in the k member for the oil pump and used door shims to bring the engine up higher with a high volume pump. Easy swap for me. I could push the heater motor back to take the valve cover off too.

View attachment 1715236745
jason65 if you have not seen this, here is a great article on installing a better lower column bearing.

How To Replace your Lower Column Bearing: Better and Cheaper!!!

5BE66DCD-EA4F-48D7-A16A-458BF0B4BBE3.jpeg
9255068E-2457-4490-87EB-58191C8C6375.jpeg
Thanks for the link. Wish I had seen it before I welded it up. Looks like I am committed now.

I have a 69' Dart Custom/6 cyl, have a 383/727, K-frame,torsion bars,70's LBP disc-brake/control arms,8 3/4-3:23 SG, im gonna swap this stuff in, any DIY/ how to's on this project?
I used the 6/sb k member. Had to remove most of the motor mount on dr side to clear oil pump. Used an engine plate as well. I also used 1 schumacher conversion motor mount on pass side only to fully anchor engine to prevern fore and aft movement. I also used Maddog headers which go in 1 tube at a time. That made things a little easier.

s-l225ZP36XW2C.jpg

IMG_0366.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

I used the 6/sb k member. Had to remove most of the motor mount on dr side to clear oil pump. Used an engine plate as well. I also used 1 schumacher conversion motor mount on pass side only to fully anchor engine to prevern fore and aft movement. I also used Maddog headers which go in 1 tube at a time. That made things a little easier.

View attachment 1715238557

View attachment 1715238558

View attachment 1715238559
maddog headers? on their site they show nothing for dodge?

View attachment 1715238557

View attachment 1715238558

View attachment 1715238559
I took out more than really needed.
maddog headers? on their site they show nothing for dodge?
I would call them. Easiest headers i ever installed. About 10 minutes pass side. Dr side was a little more involved and required a couple dings and shorten steering column tube. I would buy them again.

Ok. I called maddog header. They no longer mass produce headers for mopars except dodge truck. Volume was low, but they may make you something on special order only. They will let me know.

I took out more than really needed.

I would call them. Easiest headers i ever installed. About 10 minutes pass side. Dr side was a little more involved and required a couple dings and shorten steering column tube. I would buy them again.
thank you

Just finished this swap : 383,727 with Schumacher mounts and T.T.I. headers . bolted it all together on the floor and put all in from the bottom . SLICK ! I used Lokar throttle and kd lever cable . MUCH better. Cooling is an issue but solvable . No power steering, no power brakes , no A/C, no heater , column shift , Wilwoods , M/T's, old school project

Just finished this swap : 383,727 with Schumacher mounts and T.T.I. headers . bolted it all together on the floor and put all in from the bottom . SLICK ! I used Lokar throttle and kd lever cable . MUCH better. Cooling is an issue but solvable . No power steering, no power brakes , no A/C, no heater , column shift , Wilwoods , M/T's, old school project
cool,sounds almost exactly what i wanna do,mines a slant six so obviously im sourcing out torsion bars?

-
Back