Good 360 Aluminum Head

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
So I just found out that my old J-Heads are essentially junk, so now I have to buy some new heads, wish I didn't have to but I already spent over 2500 to get my block all prepped, new pistons/rings...I have the entire 360 short-block ready to be assembled, so I'm in this build too far to just stop and continue using my 318 lol. What are some good aluminum heads? eddys? w2? I was thinking about buying some eddys. My only concern is compression, I think you can only buy them with 63 and 65cc combustion chambers, my old heads were 70-72cc I think, anyways I would have had around 10:1 compression with my old heads. I've read that you can handle more compression with aluminum heads, think I can still run a 65cc chamber on 91 fuel? I would think the compression would be just a bit under 11:1 with those heads with my current setup. A guy I talked to said I should be okay, he runs 11:1 on 91 without a problem, just backs timing off a bit.

You could use the Eddy 65cc head and a thicker head gasket to bring down the compression abit.

You are at the border line of pump gas. Cam timing, ignition timing curve, car weight, rear gear, converter, cooling, overall tune, quench clearance, even driving style. These all need to be right.

Skrews nailed it in regard to running higher CR on pump gas. I've known people to do it, but that doesn't mean it can be done within every app.

Apart from that, Edelbrocks are usually a good choice. What's the rest of your setup? I don't think I've seen anything on here about your shortblock. What pistons? Deck clearance? Cam grind? Where's it degreed?

I've read that you can handle more compression with aluminum heads

This statement is often up for debate. While aluminum does bleed off heat a little faster than iron, combustion turbulence probably has more to do with it than heat dissipation. I'd also assert most aluminum heads have heart shaped or high turbulence type chambers. Take a look around in the threads...there's a guy in here with a aluminum headed big block stroker having issues with detonation.

That's kinda what I thought. And I haven't really done much with it yet, I just got everything back last week. The block has been bored .30 over, I cant remember the deck clearance, I know it would be alot more helpful to know that. Stock crank and rods, with hypo KB 107 pistons. I was planning on using a comp 268 cam, its specs are 268/280 duration and .477/480 lift. Nothing is put together yet, everything is just sitting in my garage waiting to be put together. Like I said before I wasn't planning on running such high compression, I just thought my heads were okay. I just figured out with a 65cc chamber I would be at 10.6:1 compression ratio, could use a bit of a thicker head gasket to lower it a bit? Or is really good tuning going to be my friend here?

And yea that makes sense, I'll have to look around and see what other people are having problems with.

Could I have the combustion chambers enlarged a bit to lower the compression? I don't really know if that's feasible or possible. Most of this technical stuff goes right over my head, I haven't really been doing this kinda stuff for very long, and I'm doing this build with my grandpa, but he is currently away.

It would be nice if AFR made something.

Im running eddys on my 360 with 10.50 89 octance lots of timing no pings, Im very happy with them.

You should mock up the block and see where your deck height is...

I would not use the 65cc open chamber heads...I would stay with the 63 cc heads.

Once you know more about where the pistons are, then you can make a better decision on head gasket also.

My 73 Duster with a 360 had 10.6 to 1 with eddy heads, 230/236 cam at .050...ran on 89 octane...but we also have lousy air .lol

Yea I'm going to start figuring out all the specs on the block when I get the time to.

But then I will have even higher compression, why wouldn't I want to use the 65cc open chamber heads?

Because they are open chamber. With a flat top type motor the 63cc closed chamber heads will allow you to have quench. Quench will help with detonation.

Could he run W2's with their open chamber & high flow? Wouldn't that work as well? People keep listing them (complete sets) here on FABO. He would have to change intake manifold and headers though right?

That ran on 89 octane? Just wondering, timing and jets?

Timing was 34 degree full advance at 1000 rpm....MP race electronic distributor...no vacuum advance.

jets...2 jets leaner on a 750 vacuum holley...

Could he run W2's with their open chamber & high flow? Wouldn't that work as well? People keep listing them (complete sets) here on FABO. He would have to change intake manifold and headers though right?

Well sure. The W series is about the best there is but they are very expensive to set up to run.

Yea I know w2 heads are pretty damn good, my uncle runs them, but I'm not really lookin to spend that much on heads, so I guess my best bet is going with the eddy 63cc heads then.

I'm fine with running 94 fuel even (available where I am) I'm not going to be driving this car all the time anyways. I will just have to put everything together and tune it right so I don't run into detonation issues.

Bare W2 heads are available in open chamber. about the same price as bare eddies but you need specific headers/roller rockers etc.

Just an option.

Check your numbers first and remember that the eddy 63 cc closed chamber heads are usually closer to 65cc when cc'd.

If your short block isn't together yet, you could have some dish milled into the piston tops, or replace the pistons with dished units.

Bare W2 heads are available in open chamber. about the same price as bare eddies but you need specific headers/roller rockers etc.

Just an option.

Well I still need to buy headers anyways, but don't I need a different intake manifold? W2 heads flow really well though don't they?

W2's are awesome heads. I bolted my 1-7/8 tti LA bolt pattern headers on my w2's. Not ideal but still dynoed 653 hp.

W2 intakes are floating around for $150 or so.

Just an option.

B. Cylinder Heads, Cast Iron, W2 Race
Features flat-machined rocker pads that require the use of T&D Race Rocker
Arms and long valves. Heads must be oiled through the tappets and hollow
pushrods. Older style rocker stands and rocker systems do not work with these
heads.
P5007708AB Cylinder Head, Cast Iron, Race, 2.02" Intake, 1.60" Exhaust,
48° Tappet, 47cc Chamber, W2
P5007445AB Cylinder Head, Cast Iron, Race, 2.02" Intake, 1.60" Exhaust,
48° Tappet, 65 cc Chamber, W2
Cylinder Head, Cast Iron, Race, 2.02" Intake, 1.60" Exhaust,
P5249769 59° Tappet, 65cc Chamber, W2

Copied from current MP catalog.....only 65 cc heads available and the new heads take an expensive T& D Race Rocker set up.....

Header selection is very limited...for the street TTI....hedman and hooker make still make 1 7/8 race headers with one tube going out thru the inner fender...

-
Back