good penetrating oil?

-
i agree on the Kroil! that stuff plain out works.. not sold in stores though...kinda hard to get...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Kroil-Penetrating-liquid-KROIL/dp/B000F09CF4"]Amazon.com: Kano Kroil Penetrating Oil, 8 oz. liquid (KROIL): Automotive[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kano-Aerokroil-Penetrating-aerosol-AEROKROIL/dp/B000F09CEA/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1346162917&sr=1-2&keywords=Kroil+Penetrating+Oil"]Kano Aerokroil Penetrating Oil,10 oz. aerosol (AEROKROIL) : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

ATF and Kerosene was what I was taught by an ...old machineist! But PB/Kroil/LW all seem to help considerably.

IMHO, Deep Creep works better than PB blaster but I haven't tried Kroil yet. Right now it's Deep Creep on the shelf.

Aero-Kroil has always worked for my old cars. Best test is brake line going into wheel cyl on original equipment from 1964. You only have 1 shot.

Success! With help from some PB Blaster I bought earlier today. I also went to Sears and bought my first set of 'low profile' socket sets, standard & metric. With a cheater bar from a neighbor I was finally able to coax the last remaining bolt loose! You can see the alternator in the picture. Now to get a replacement.

Thanks to all that chimed in, whether I used your advice or not. I appreciate the help!

Glenn:cheers:

BTW the 13mm socket did the trick!

Attachments

• IMG_4175.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 453
kroil is the best i have used...

web_ad_02.jpg

When you put it back together, I would use some Permatex anti-sieze on the bolts, but thats just me, that way if it ever has to come apart again it will be much easier.

Castle THRUST is the absolute best I've ever found. I use it daily since I do this for a living. PB Blaster can't hold a candle to it. It's a little hard to find in some areas but well worth the search. It has ionizing formula that reacts with the rusted parts to unlock them. I buy it by the case so I have it when I need it. Works great!
Another good one is GM Heat Valve Penetrant. that works pretty good & is available at most GM dealers.

Kroil is by far the best. As many of you have already stated it is not sold to public only sold to businesses.It is expensive but you get what you pay for. I was given a can from a customer to aid in the removal of 40 yr old brake lines. I sprayed it and 5 minutes later lines were off. Wish they would sell to public. Just have to use what i have sparingly.

Yep. Back to metals class in school. If a bolt is stuck, heat the metal around it. If a nut is stuck, heat the nut. Squirting penetrating oil on hot fasteners seems to help. Don't breathe the fumes though. tmm

Inforce by BG Products is a great penatrating oil. But it is harder to get you have to be a dealer.

My local Fastenal store carries Kroil think you can order it from Amazon and Eastwood also.

Soak it in cider...

Like when you bust a knuckle, soak it in cider...

Oh wait, that's soak it inside HER...

Nevermind.

3x or 4x for kroil... whatever it is. 5x.

anyway. its amazing but i cant find a local supplier so i got some online

I had a '48 Oliver 88 gas with a cracked sleeve on #6, rings were welded tight with carbon. Soaked piston overnight in a can of Kroil, carbon was broken down and easily flushed out with brake clean. Also great for those tools of the 2nd Amendment.

UPDATE!

Alternator replaced on Saturday morning, Sept. 1 2012.

Tried starting it on Sunday afternoon with a jump from my Jeep. Not enough to get it started. So I put the truck battery on a charger. Charge took about 7 hours.

Put battery in this Monday morning....and cha-ching.... it started right up!

This was my first attempt to replace an alternator. Took a while and I needed to get some 'correct' tools. In the end it was a good experience!:cheers:

Glenn

UPDATE!

Alternator replaced on Saturday morning, Sept. 1 2012.

Tried starting it on Sunday afternoon with a jump from my Jeep. Not enough to get it started. So I put the truck battery on a charger. Charge took about 7 hours.

Put battery in this Monday morning....and cha-ching.... it started right up!

This was my first attempt to replace an alternator. Took a while and I needed to get some 'correct' tools. In the end it was a good experience!:cheers:

Glenn
The best teacher is experiance.Its always better to learn with a little work than to read it in a book.

If oil wont work the best thing you can try is heating until cherry red and then rapid quench with a cold wet rag. This will absolutely free it up!

-
Back