Got Laid Off Today ! 19yrold

-

1994rm250

Reaction score
Well this really sucks im 19 yrs old and i have 2 more days on my duster build (after a year build ) and my car is finished ! just my luck tho , right at the end of it when i need cash the most i get laid off from my job.

i Worked at a machine shop in portwashington ny , we always had work and stuff to keep us busy , but i guess he hasnt had any jobs lined up to come in, i notice a week ago we got slow when i started asking my coworkers if they need'd help with there projects b/c i had noting to do and my 2 other partners aswell, well it really sucks hopefully it will only last a few days i hope . well im gonna go work on my car an hustle for cash to finish this

Have you gone down to unemployment to file a claim, yet? Even if you suspect it's just for a little while you still have the ability to file for unemployment. Take advantage of it!
Being on the long list of the unemployed isn't easy. It down right sucks! Sign up for job hunting websites. Something better may be around the corner. Personally, my belief has always been when "one door closes..." Put a positive spin on it.

yeh im filein rite now online as we speak ,, thanks for the support guys , lucky i still live home and dont have a house and kids, i can just imagine wat thoso guys are going through omg .

You are lucky your in the situation your in living at home,but it's still a lousy thing getting laid off.You sound like a hardworking young man and I hope you won't be out of work too long,gotta get that build finished .Good luck.8)

Yes good luck. I am on year 2 with nothing steady. :angry7: News reports this morning are saying it should get better sometime next year.

Good luck and filing right away was the smart thing to do. Things could be worse and be thankful you're still living at home.

Good luck and filing right away was the smart thing to do. Things could be worse and be thankful you're still living at home.

I wish my Adopted daughters can read this thread.
They both rushed out of the house as son as their hormones kicked in because they had all the asswers.
We begged and pleaded with them to finish school, college, and get good jobs but they decided that dropping out of highschool and college and shacking up with losers was the way to go.
Now they are wishing they would have listened to Mom and Dad who were more than willing to help them succeed in any way, but they decided not only to burn the bridge, but blow the thing to smithereens.
So now we see all the whining daily stories on facebook about how bad their life sucks.

My point?

Respectfully take advantage of all that you Parents have to offer, advice, guidance, and help because it is a rough world out there and will eat you alive if you think you have all the answers without a freaking clue as is the case with so many young adults who fall for the "Parents are the enemy" crap, then they flush their lives down the toilet.

Working in a machine shop is pretty cool for a 19 year old.
Sounds like you have some good skills under your belt already, and not many guys your age can say the restored a car to completion so it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and can make some pretty good things happen for yourself.

Do you have any continued schooling/certifications under your belt?

I wish my Adopted daughters can read this thread.
They both rushed out of the house as son as their hormones kicked in because they had all the asswers.
We begged and pleaded with them to finish school, college, and get good jobs but they decided that dropping out of highschool and college and shacking up with losers was the way to go.
Now they are wishing they would have listened to Mom and Dad who were more than willing to help them succeed in any way, but they decided not only to burn the bridge, but blow the thing to smithereens.
So now we see all the whining daily stories on facebook about how bad their life sucks.

My point?

Respectfully take advantage of all that you Parents have to offer, advice, guidance, and help because it is a rough world out there and will eat you alive if you think you have all the answers without a freaking clue as is the case with so many young adults who fall for the "Parents are the enemy" crap, then they flush their lives down the toilet.

Working in a machine shop is pretty cool for a 19 year old.
Sounds like you have some good skills under your belt already, and not many guys your age can say the restored a car to completion so it sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders and can make some pretty good things happen for yourself.

Do you have any continued schooling/certifications under your belt?

Excellent advice!!!!!!!!!! I'm an "old" 35 year old school teacher now, but I have a good story to share that is along these lines. When I was 19 and struggling to be a college baseball player, many of my friends were preaching the whole "get out of your parent's house" and "they keep you down", and other forms of such baloney. Thank God I never listened to a thing they said and took the help of my parents to go along with the strict rules of the house hold. I say this because here I am, comfortable, in a fairly steady career, not rich, but in a career, while those same buddies of mine are going from one job to another with no direction. Looking back I can now see that the strict rules and regulations along with the responsibilities of the household were GREAT!!!!!!!! It really prepared me for life as I entered man hood and now going into my late thirties. Good times.

very well said cudaspaz. could not agree with you more.....

My oldest adopted Daughter had life by the balls.
She had a full time job, was going to college, had $15-k saved up in the bank, we helped her establish prefect credit, just got a really decent used car, and we were encouraging her to use the money for a down payment on a house.
Everythng was fine and we were holding her hand through life, spending so, so much time with her to make sure she was making the right decisions so she could have a great start in life since her childhood was so horrible with her birth family.

She was milestones past 95% of kids her age, but she decided she just HAD, just HAD to shack up with this freaking loser *** boyfriend of hers despite numerous warnings from not only us, her parents, but her best friends, coworkers and other adults in her life, but despite all that she just had to shack up with Mr. smartmouth, cocky punk with no clue, going no freakingwhere fast, and moved in with him and got married right away.

I'm not making this up guys.
When left to her own devices, she got fired from her job, dropped out of college, spent all her money, wrecked her car, ruined her credit, lost all respect and contact with all of her friends and severed her ralationship with her parents all within 1 freaking month.
Now the idiot got her knocked up because she was whoring around with anyone who would give her positive attention so it was his way of keeping her around.
BUT, if you ask her why her life sucks, It's all her rotten Parents fault.

I'm still trying to see the logic in that last one after all we did for her.

She must have set a great example for her younger Sister, because that one decided to move out, drop out of highschool shack up with some lesbian druggie losers from school and their scum bag parents who let them party in their home among other things.

But if you ask them, it's all their rotten parents fault.

Now I know what it means to say "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."

My oldest adopted Daughter had life by the balls.
She had a full time job, was going to college, had $15-k saved up in the bank, we helped her establish prefect credit, just got a really decent used car, and we were encouraging her to use the money for a down payment on a house.
Everythng was fine and we were holding her hand through life, spending so, so much time with her to make sure she was making the right decisions so she could have a great start in life since her childhood was so horrible with her birth family.

She was milestones past 95% of kids her age, but she decided she just HAD, just HAD to shack up with this freaking loser *** boyfriend of hers despite numerous warnings from not only us, her parents, but her best friends, coworkers and other adults in her life, but despite all that she just had to shack up with Mr. smartmouth, cocky punk with no clue, going no freakingwhere fast, and moved in with him and got married right away.

I'm not making this up guys.
When left to her own devices, she got fired from her job, dropped out of college, spent all her money, wrecked her car, ruined her credit, lost all respect and contact with all of her friends and severed her ralationship with her parents all within 1 freaking month.
Now the idiot got her knocked up because she was whoring around with anyone who would give her positive attention so it was his way of keeping her around.
BUT, if you ask her why her life sucks, It's all her rotten Parents fault.

I'm still trying to see the logic in that last one after all we did for her.

She must have set a great example for her younger Sister, because that one decided to move out, drop out of highschool shack up with some lesbian druggie losers from school and their scum bag parents who let them party in their home among other things.

But if you ask them, it's all their rotten parents fault.

Now I know what it means to say "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink."
i am always amazed at how people refuse to accept responsibilities for there own actions. sounds like you did everything you could for both of them. you can only hope at this point that someday they will realize what they had and how they lost it. bit talk about an uphill battle at this point, especially for the older one.

Our son quit school at the wise old age of 16 (junior year). Tried to tell him that life was going to get really tough. He is now 32, has a dip of a wife and two great kids and cleans carpets for a living. They about broke us barrowing money for house payments, car payments, food and such. We kept thinking of our grandkids needs. They have never made any to pay us back and no longer talke to us since we no longer give. I guess it's a new generation of attitudes. I sure do miss my grandkids though.

Dave

Our son quit school at the wise old age of 16 (junior year). Tried to tell him that life was going to get really tough. He is now 32, has a dip of a wife and two great kids and cleans carpets for a living. They about broke us barrowing money for house payments, car payments, food and such. We kept thinking of our grandkids needs. They have never made any to pay us back and no longer talke to us since we no longer give. I guess it's a new generation of attitudes. I sure do miss my grandkids though.

Dave

Too bad you can't adopt the Grandkids.

Sucks because you guys would be much better parents to those kids by the sounds of things.

i am always amazed at how people refuse to accept responsibilities for there own actions. sounds like you did everything you could for both of them. you can only hope at this point that someday they will realize what they had and how they lost it. bit talk about an uphill battle at this point, especially for the older one.

Oh yeah,

I could share more stories of other people we helped and got taken advantage of but I don't have enough time for all the examples.

My Wife and I have vowed not to invest in people that give no return on the investment.
Screw us once and that's it.

Tough love all the way.

My older sister is one of "them". Born with all the knowledge she needs. My parents time and time again tried to guide her away from mistakes, even telling her the outcome if she went that route, they were always right and she never learned to this day at 37 years old.

Sorry you got laid off, sounds like your a hard worker and don;t see life as something that is handed to you one a silver platter like a lot of younger people who have been taught that Visa is your Trust Fund. You'll find work, I see positions for Machinists here in Oregon all the time, manly CNC programing stuff. Take the time that unemployment gives you to review your coarse in life and think about education and your future goals. Good Luck, I'm unemployed too with a house and kid on the way!

I wish I had listened more. I would have planned better for the future. Young and poor is ok, old and poor is not pretty.

Not to say I don't have a great life, but I would probably have worked harder on becoming educated and having solid goals.

Life isn't a dress rehearsal, there are no do-overs. You'll never regret doing your best.

This e-mail originated in Scotland.

Is the entire world laughing at our nation's leadership?

cid:X.MA1.1253734479@aol.com

Yes i am enrolled in college but in Night school so i can work during the day , since i live by NYC i took the police test and passed and thats what i wanna be a cop or firefighter , but in my hometown here i am a voliee firefighter, i have cert's in highschool i went to a Boces trade school and got a newyork state certified as a welder at 16yrs old ,, soo im not tottal bum'n around , i did work on the duster all day and collected scrap metal =) soo i have money for paddock parts tommrw and the DMV too register it =P !!!!!!!

AND WE CAN THANK OBAMA,, YEH well to the people who voted for him we sure got our change , and pontica outta bussiness ,, and he's a ninja

7834_1157518062755_1371840868_30830.jpg

This was last week its on the ground now and rolling and all done just about ,, full steam ahead i have a swapmeet and carshow to attend on sunday

Politics aside, the truely wise are able to rise above, and find a way to succeed, regardless of the party, or COLOR of the person sitting in the white house.

-
Back