Got this 69 Dart today but is it 68 ?

-

TXDart

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I got this 1969 Dart Today !!!
It will not start,no fuel or fire !:wack:
It only been sitting in a garage for 12 years !
Slant six and 904.

Attachments

• DSCN1112.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCN1113.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 368
  • DSCN1114.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 354
  • DSCN1115.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 362
  • DSCN1117.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 384
  • DSCN1116.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 384
It is titled 1969 and the title matches vin on the car !
That is a 68 grille though.
????

file the points they are probably corroded as for fuel make sure the float valve is not stuck closed to start with.

Put a battery in it ,no power to the inside of car thinking (ignition switch), pulled spark plugs and then soaked the cylinders with KANO, jumped the starter and she turned over !
Turned key on,cranked over no spark,ran jumper to coil from battery...still no spark...pulled cap and rotor and had spark at points and yes a I filed the points and set them.Poured a little gas in the carb and cranked her up !
There was a bunch of pecans and shell under the hood that I cleared out before all of this.
When she fired I got pecan blasted and it ran till out of gas.Got my oil squirt can and filled it with gas and gave it few squirts and fired her up again,squirting a shot when necessary and she purred like a kitten....
This is the car that will get my hot little /6....But it sure nice to have another running /6 and 904 !!!
This thing been parked for 12 years,I got my neighbor to sit in it while I squirted gas and started it and he with emergency brake applied put it in reverse and drive and the Tranny works !!!
So the usually will happen later brakes,fuel tank....then the hot lil /6 I got...

I like the blue.

Ok, here is how you go about checking where your problem is:

A combustion engine needs three basic things to start:

1. Fuel
2. Air
3. Spark

If you are getting all three of these, the engine should start, you may have to adjust the timing if not.

1. Fuel
Cycle the throttle linkage and check to see that gas is squirting in the carburetor. If not try putting some in a cup or jar and pouring it down the carb with the throttle open before cranking to start it. It may then start and then die within a few seconds. If a car has been sitting for a while, you may need to do this a few times to get the fuel system "primed". If it doesn't fix the fuel problem after a few tries, then consider replacing the fuel pump.

2. Air
As long as the throttle works and opens up, you are getting air.

3. Spark
Check to make sure that you are getting spark. To do this, I like to take a spare spark plug and pull off one of the spark plug wires (longer works well), then put the spare plug into the spark plug wire boot and then hold the bottom electrode of the spark plug to a good ground. Have someone crank the engine and check for spark (or leave the key in the "on" position and use a trigger start". Are you getting spark?

Yes: reconnect the spark plug wire back on the plug that you took it off of and try to start it. If it doesn't start or is sluggish, remove all spark plugs and either clean or replace them.

No: Pull the coil wire off of the center outlet in the distributor cap and hold near a good ground with a slight gap and then crank the car over. Look for spark jumping to the ground. Are you getting spark?

Yes: consider replacing the distributor cap and rotor, then connect everything and check for spark at spark plug.

No: Take a test light and verify that you are getting power into and out of both sides of ballast resistor. You may need to replace the ballast resistor and then check for spark at coil wire and at plug.

Hope this helps you track down the problem.

No power to the inside of car could also be a blown fuseable link, but if you got it started, it probably is the ign switch.

It's a '68 for sure.
It might have been left over and sold after the model year was over (non current) and sold after the '69 cars started to sell so they called it a '69 by mistake.
This has happened quite a lot over the years and still happens today.

Post the vin that should tell you 68 or 9. Nice catch by the way!
LH41B8E131778
The six digit is 8 so it is a 68..

It's a '68 for sure.
It might have been left over and sold after the model year was over (non current) and sold after the '69 cars started to sell so they called it a '69 by mistake.
This has happened quite a lot over the years and still happens today.
I thinking that what happened !
The guy I bought from it was his first car in 1996 and it has been parked since 1999,he bought it from another person in Houston,Holy s$$$, I just noticed the previous owner from him that is my old boss from when I worked in a liquor store in the late 70's in Houston.....Small world.

My 1972 dart aint right either it has a earlier grill in it,go figure !!!

Attachments

• shop 002.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 272
LH41B8E131778
The six digit is 8 so it is a 68..

I thinking that what happened !
The guy I bought from it was his first car in 1996 and it has been parked since 1999,he bought it from another person in Houston,Holy s$$$, I just noticed the previous owner from him that is my old boss from when I worked in a liquor store in the late 70's in Houston.....Small world.

My 1972 dart aint right either it has a earlier grill in it,go figure !!!
It's got the earlier bumper too.....

Meh, a year error is no big deal. My '75 Valiant title has the mega-rare "4 cyl" engine option. It always ran on 8 when I drove it!

-
Back