Green Bearings on Moser axles

-

Thropar

Reaction score
Does anyone running the Moser BBP axles with Green style bearings remember if upon install they had tight axle end play, and then loosened up after running? On a fresh install today, after I snugged up the axle flange nuts, the axle end play is 0+, (a feeling like it has another 1/4 turn on the adjuster--if it still had the adjuster). It spins ok with a drum on it, but empty it just feels too tight.

housing > steel shim > backing plate > felt "dust gasket" > retainer > nuts

No, that's right. No endplay. You dont have the end play buttons in the sure grip or the axles made shorter ti not need them, correct?

I got Moser's stock cut BBP axle kit,... "for use with the later BBP brake plates/brakes"

It's a 741 open, so it's got spiders and no spacer issue as with the sure grip.

I guess I have to decide how tight is too tight, or consider having new adjustable type bearings/adjuster pressed on to the new axles.

They are not tapered bearings like factory bearings. They are straight roller bearings. Thus they have no end play like stock bearings.

Does anyone running the Moser BBP axles with Green style bearings remember if upon install they had tight axle end play, and then loosened up after running? On a fresh install today, after I snugged up the axle flange nuts, the axle end play is 0+, (a feeling like it has another 1/4 turn on the adjuster--if it still had the adjuster). It spins ok with a drum on it, but empty it just feels too tight.

housing > steel shim > backing plate > felt "dust gasket" > retainer > nuts

If you have 8 3/4 you must pull the spacer pin from the center section.If you didn't do it take it apart right now and do it.Take it from a guy who is on his third set of brgs.

I'm with you on the taper and ball thing. They just don't feel right.

If there is a spacer in the way, how much will the axle stick out?

Do all carriers have the spacer? It's been a while since I looked at a chunk.

thanks

If you have 8 3/4 you must pull the spacer pin from the center section.If you didn't do it take it apart right now and do it.Take it from a guy who is on his third set of brgs.

Just take the spacer out they will work fine. I put a small tack on the retainer ring on mine that way yo dont have to worry about them slipping

Thanks guys, I'll check out the diff and the spacer situation.

I pulled the chunk and the thrust block is in there. I talked to Moser and they said either pull the spacer/thrust block out or trim the axles down. Why don't they cut them a little shorter to begin with? Seems like it would be better to avoid all these issues with people leaving the buttons and spacers in there, and then the axles would work with or without them installed.

Anyway, it looks like I need to pull the carrier out of the chunk to get the roll pin out, to pull the spiders pin, to pull out the thrust block.... Seems like I can do it on the bench here, I won't be changing anything on the chunk, I can mark the bearing adjusters where they are and put it back together in one swoop. Anyone know off hand the torque setting on the carrier caps?

thanks

yup. And you can order them to fit without the buttons. It's beena while but I know you can.

Interesting, thanks. So which carriers have buttons and which have thrust blocks?

After talking to Dr. Diff the other day, he explained that the early open pigs had a more squarish looking center spacer (which I had in my 741 case) and the sure grips have the button type spacer(s?). Anyway, I politely asked Cass to send me a new sure grip (after giving my cc number ;)) since I had to pull my carrier to get the spacer out, and will be running this new repro clutch sure grip with the button spacer(s) removed... in order for the Moser axles to fully extend into the diff....

-
Back