Guitar???

-
Here is a picture of my guitar and amp I picked up yesterday. I've been learning how to play "Hells Bells" and having fun doing it. I used to get frustrated but with the tabs (sheets of paper on table) I get on the internet ... dang it's actually fun!
Tab does make life easy. Just remember that they are someone's interpretation of the piece and not necessarily accurate. If you hit a spot that doesn't sound quite right, play around with it. I ran across this intersting site. You can buy video lessons, sometimes by the artist themselves like these lessons with Alex Lifeson:

http://www.ivideosongs.com/search/artist/rush/1630.aspx

Another player here...don't have any pics...I'm self and party taught, picked up the guitar when I was about 28....I play mostly rythum cause I got what I call stumble fingers when trying to play leads. My band disbanded about 6 months ago after 8 years, before that I did the solo bit for 6 years. I play country, old rock, blues, and about a dozen or so originals.
I play an Epiphone electric acoustic most of the time now, and have two other acoustics, a Carlos and one I got from Marlboro, a no name China...plays nice though...I've got a 2003 Fender Custom shop tele, vintage pickups, white blonde with tortice accents, a '66 Guild M65 archtop electric, a 90's Telecaster (Mexico) that I'm teaching my grandkids on...I also have and play a little, a '76 Westminister Banjo, Fender electric mandolin, a no name fiddle, a '59 Harmony lap steel and when I plug in it's to a '63 Fender Super Reverb....or an '83 Fender Studio Lead...
We have a jam session every Thursday, workload permitting, with some seasoned players and new players...
Great to see so many into Guitars as well as cars...its tough sometimes to find the time to do all you want though....work on the car, play guitar, go fishin, go huntin....I been trying to figure out how to take work out of the equation and have more time for everything else...lol

Dave

I played drums since 1980, my fingers are clumsy on guitar.

But if you like Gary Sinise from CSI New York I saw him last night in Turlock, he plays bass guitar with his Lt. Dan Band, pretty good.

sinisewalkthrough.jpg

gary sinise what a hella of a great guy ! he has been over here (iraq) more times than i can count entertaining the troops

That's 2 Martins on the left there, one Doug is playing and the other is Jarods 72 that he interited from his grandfather 10 years ago now. Larry the Dobro player there also has one, but prefers to play his old Guild at most gigs. And don't forget about the stand-up guy, who just bought a D-18 Golden Era on friday. I'll post pictures of that tomorrow. Pick on boys and girls, it does a body good!!! Geof

Tab does make life easy. Just remember that they are someone's interpretation of the piece and not necessarily accurate. If you hit a spot that doesn't sound quite right, play around with it. I ran across this intersting site. You can buy video lessons, sometimes by the artist themselves like these lessons with Alex Lifeson:

http://www.ivideosongs.com/search/artist/rush/1630.aspx

Yeah a friend of mine told me to buy the tab books online or music store because they are most accurate.

I also do a lot of tab for bluegrass pickin', and for me the accuracy issue is not as important as the positioning it allows you to master. I'd rather put a little of myself into everything I play anyway instead of trying to learn everything note for note. Besides, I doubt Slash and the boys ever play it the same every time either. Oh, and heres a picture of my latest aquisition, my new Martin D-18 Golden Era. Just picked it up friday and already got about 100 hours playing time on it. Nothing like the sweet sound of a Martin!!! Pick on boys and girls!!! Geof

100_0913.jpg

Jimi page[untouchable] hendrix,beatles,stones,ac/dc,eagles,fleetwood-mac, just to name a few. axes- Peavy-Nitro limited,87 alverez-yari, aniversary edition, acoustic.79, Fender precision bass, late 60`s Hagstom II,[another restoration project]. 60`s blackface Fender band master amp. ROCK ON!

Too many guitarists to list.

I pretty much play my les pauls these days (3)
60 RI
68 custom
05 standard.

61 SG RI
J-45 flat top

most of the time I use my 50 watt plexi's through 4x 12 cabs
been using a 50 watt boogie sometimes through a 4x12 or sometimes a 4x10

sold off most of the fender fleet a few months ago cept for my 58 tele and an old deluxe.

I also do a lot of tab for bluegrass pickin', and for me the accuracy issue is not as important as the positioning it allows you to master. I'd rather put a little of myself into everything I play anyway instead of trying to learn everything note for note. Besides, I doubt Slash and the boys ever play it the same every time either. Oh, and heres a picture of my latest aquisition, my new Martin D-18 Golden Era. Just picked it up friday and already got about 100 hours playing time on it. Nothing like the sweet sound of a Martin!!! Pick on boys and girls!!! Geof
Man. A Martin Golden Era. That is the guitar equivalent of getting your hands on a 20,000 mile survivor Hemi car. I play a lot of Steve Howe's travis-picked acoustic solo material and after spending endless hours in the "High End" room at Guitar Center playing everything they have I remain convinced that nothing touches the tone and top-to-bottom clarity of a Martin. Even their X Series solid top/laminated body guitars sound amazing and better than many all solid wood guitars. Congratulations on the new guitar. Excellent choice.

Thanks 2shelbys, I'm really happy with it. I have been playing the same old acoustic I have had for the past 25 years. An old Hohner given to me as payment for a $35.00 phone bill. I figured it was time to buy just the guitar I would keep for the rest of my life, and pass down to my son. He's only 4 but he's already pickin like a pro. Heck, he made $8.00 playing at the Wheatland music festival this past september. Thats huge money for a kid of 4 and has convinced him that a guitar player is what he wants to be. Maybe someday he'll invite me onstage to pick a song with him, if he doesn't forget dear old dad, LOL!!! Gotta go, Marty's callin!!! Geof

Thanks 2shelbys, I'm really happy with it. I have been playing the same old acoustic I have had for the past 25 years. An old Hohner given to me as payment for a $35.00 phone bill. I figured it was time to buy just the guitar I would keep for the rest of my life, and pass down to my son. He's only 4 but he's already pickin like a pro. Heck, he made $8.00 playing at the Wheatland music festival this past september. Thats huge money for a kid of 4 and has convinced him that a guitar player is what he wants to be. Maybe someday he'll invite me onstage to pick a song with him, if he doesn't forget dear old dad, LOL!!! Gotta go, Marty's callin!!! Geof

There needs to be more dads like you in world my man!

iv ben thinking about buyin ga dobro
i want to play the blues lol

Do you know some good blues song names so I can look them up and find the tabs?

Here is something that almost never comes up in guitar discussions....

Do you guys have any favorite female players? Not many out there are there?
Go to Youtube and check out Jennifer Batten, especially some of the videos
from when she was touring with Jeff Beck. The lady has some chops.

i play on a 1970 marshall amp head . a pevey 4-12 cab and play rockabilly stuff on my 5 in thick white hollowbody gretch . i have 7 gutiars all to geather . played in punk bands hardcore bands and oi bands sence i was 15 . im 28 now so it been a long time .

Finding good women guitar players is near as hard as finding black hockey players. I`ve heard that Natalie Merchant had a lady that played with her and I`ve always loved the guitar in the song "Carnival", but I don`t know who plays guitar in that song.

Female Rocker guitarists....

Joan Jett ( Black Hearts ) The queen of punk forever !
Lita Ford ( Lita Ford ) hard rocking hot chick
Jan Kuehnemund ( Vixen ) Hair band femme fatal
Noelle LeBlanc ( Damone ) a young Joan Jett
Mara Fox ( Precious Metal ) rockin' hottie
Janet Robin ( Precious Metal ) another rockin hottie

N2.jpg

NOELLE LEBLANC

Just to name a few.... these gals all can play awesome !

RPM

Met JJ as well and yes a small gal... she may play alot of bar chords but she does it very well ;)

-RPM

ive played drums for 3 years now but im only 14, im not that bad compared to others that have been playing for longer than me and i have to many guitar buddies.

I met Joan a few times. A Baltimore girl you know. She is TINY. She doesn't really qualify as a guitar player to me. All she does is strum bar chords. This is an old video of questionable quality from back when Jennifer Batten had HUGE hair but check out her playing. This is what I call a guitar player:

Wow.

I'm an old punker. Buzzsaw- Ramones style downstrumming is what I dig. True, she's not the 'best', which of course is always rather subjective. Definitely one of the more effective female guitarists for sure.

There's also Ryder Suys from Nashville Pussy. if you closed your eyes while listening to her (which is hard to do - see photo) you'd think it was Skynrd, Mötorhead and AC/DC all rolled into one massive sound.

gg07.jpg

-
Back