Halo headlights and turn signal question

-
This idea is so damn cool, that I have to try it. LOL this is bad ***. LOL

So in order for my simple mind to figure this out, I'm going to break it down by the numbers. And by numbers I mean the numbers on a relay.

So here it goes.

30 - Constant power source from circuit breaker. Could I possibly use the same circuit breaker that I'm powering the headlight relay as well?

87 - HALO Hot wires. Left and right. One relay for left one relay for right. Got it.

85 - ground. Wire both 85 sockets together and then tap into the parking light wire, to use the parking light circuit as ground.

86 - trigger\activation wire. Tap the last relay into the left turn signal and the right relay into the right turn signal.

Does this sound about right.

now consider this
86 - trigger/activation wire tap the left relay with a diode into the left turn signal, and with a diode into the parking light
tap the right relay with a diode into the right turn signal and into the same wire running from the parking light to the left relay, and as long as you dont try to use the Halo as turn signals while the parking lights are on, they should work

i think

get to soldering, i want to see this

"
So in order for my simple mind to figure this out, I'm going to break it down by the numbers. And by numbers I mean the numbers on a relay.

So here it goes.

30 - Constant power source from circuit breaker. Could I possibly use the same circuit breaker that I'm powering the headlight relay as well?

87 - HALO Hot wires. Left and right. One relay for left one relay for right. Got it.

85 - ground. Wire both 85 sockets together and then tap into the parking light wire, to use the parking light circuit as ground.

86 - trigger\activation wire. Tap the left relay into the left turn signal and the right relay into the right turn signal.

85 and 86 switch back and forth over which one is ground and which one is trigger. Based on which has power at the time. And the other one defaults to being ground.

Does this sound about right."

==========================================

relay1.jpg

Yes, one caveat. Some relays have built in diodes across the coils. You will need relays without them, or dig into the relay and remove. This is because coil current will be going in two directions. When the parking lights are on, current will go "from ground" through the turn signal lamp, through the relay coil, and to +12 on the parking light line

When you activate the turn signal, there will be 12V at both ends. If the parking lamps are off, the current will reverse. I'lll have to work this out I believe this will flash both parking lamps

"

So here it goes.

86 - trigger\activation wire. Tap the left relay into the left turn signal and the right relay into the right turn signal.

85 and 86 switch back and forth over which one is ground and which one is trigger. Based on which has power at the time. And the other one defaults to being ground.

View attachment 1715255881

Yes, one caveat. Some relays have built in diodes across the coils. You will need relays without them, or dig into the relay and remove. This is because coil current will be going in two directions. When the parking lights are on, current will go "from ground" through the turn signal lamp, through the relay coil, and to +12 on the parking light line

When you activate the turn signal, there will be 12V at both ends. If the parking lamps are off, the current will reverse. I'lll have to work this out I believe this will flash both parking lamps

Relays with diodes are marked on the diagram on the relay correct?

I checked ours today and I saw no diode's on the diagrams. So I think were safe.

But seriously? You mean I understood it on the first shot. LOL. Once I wrapped my head around it it's pretty simple. I figured I had to be missing something. LOL

Thank you so very much. If this works it's going to be awesome.

Thanks again so much Del.

Eric and Jason

"

So here it goes.

View attachment 1715255881

I greatly appreciate the effort your putting into this. Thank you Del. Let me know what idea you come up with.

Thank you again. Eric and Jason

I would check the relay for diodes. You can blow them up too. Hook them to 12V listen for the relay to click. If you have them wrong you will likely hear the diode blow. Or see/ smell smoke. If not reverse polarity on the coil Once it is blown (like a fuse) you should be good to go

By the way if these truly are red halos they are illegal IN THE FRONT. You can have white or amber showing from the front, nothing else. You can have amber or red showing from the rear and nothing else.

By the way if these truly are red halos they are illegal IN THE FRONT. You can have white or amber showing from the front, nothing else. You can have amber or red showing from the rear and nothing else.

Yeah. I think we're just going to hook them in with the parking lights for parking lot show off. Lol.

Are there "extra" or undocumented wire leads to these units? There might be "different colors" available from the hao LEDs

Are there "extra" or undocumented wire leads to these units? There might be "different colors" available from the hao LEDs

I see a lot of challengers and camaros w/ body color halos around here. I think the round white halos on 7" headlights would be a safety factor/very noticeable.

IMG_4852.JPG

Nope. Just the two halo wires and the head light wires.

It's really not a big deal.

We live in a very rural community, and the halos will probably only be used in parking lots for showing off. Lol

I just went through this since I have been rebuilding my '67 Barracudas grills. I dumped the plastic grill inserts and turn signal/parking lights. Used a powder coated expanded metal gutter screen from Home Depot. For the headlights I used United Pacific parts and a pair of relays. The following links explains how to wire the headlights and have the led halos at as parking/running lights and turn signals. The biggest problem was the headlight bulb will not work with the headlight buckets due to the way the bulb is configured with the LEDs. After a little wandering around at a pick-n-pull wrecker I found a set from a 70's Chevy van that work after I cut the back part of the bucket off. For me solved a bunch of problems. By the way I paid $35 a piece on EBay for the headlights.
UNITED PACIFIC INDUSTRIES | COMMERCIAL TRUCK DIVISION

I just went through this since I have been rebuilding my '67 Barracudas grills. I dumped the plastic grill inserts and turn signal/parking lights. Used a powder coated expanded metal gutter screen from Home Depot. For the headlights I used United Pacific parts and a pair of relays. The following links explains how to wire the headlights and have the led halos at as parking/running lights and turn signals. The biggest problem was the headlight bulb will not work with the headlight buckets due to the way the bulb is configured with the LEDs. After a little wandering around at a pick-n-pull wrecker I found a set from a 70's Chevy van that work after I cut the back part of the bucket off. For me solved a bunch of problems. By the way I paid $35 a piece on EBay for the headlights.

Those appear to be completely different than what OP has. The modules shown in the diagrams are basically an electronic relay

View attachment 1715255984

Nope. Just the two halo wires and the head light wires.

It's really not a big deal.

We live in a very rural community, and the halos will probably only be used in parking lots for showing off. Lol
Have you tried to fit that into the headlamp house of your a-body? In my eye it looks too long to fit.
If the back of that bulb/fixture is going to be jammed tight to the back of the house, will you be able to aim them? Will that mis-fitment shorten their life? Maybe just wire the little halo bulbs to a toggle switch. On/off as desired until discarded.

Have you tried to fit that into the headlamp house of your a-body? In my eye it looks too long to fit.
If the back of that bulb/fixture is going to be jammed tight to the back of the house, will you be able to aim them? Will that mis-fitment shorten their life? Maybe just wire the little halo bulbs to a toggle switch. On/off as desired until discarded.

It actually has quite a bit of clearance from the back of the light to the bucket. I'd say over three eights of an inch.

For now we just wired them in with the parking lights. We should be testing our wiring sometime this week. I will update with the results.

I ended up not running the halos as turn signals. Seeing as they are red, we just wired them into the parking lights.

All lights are working great for the most part.

IMG_4882.JPG
IMG_4883.JPG
IMG_4886.JPG
IMG_4888.JPG
IMG_4889.JPG

-
Back