Harbor Freight - Gems and Junk

-
Besides the low profile steel 2.5 ton jack, which has been great-

Gear wrench knock offs have been good. Not as thin, but set was $9 on sale!
Great for your "junk yard" kit!

$35 auto-dark welding helmet has been good as well- 4 years, and been run over with cart!

Got $10 1/4 torque wrench. Only used once, seems OK.

Paint gun stand -$6- GREAT.

Mini-air brush kit- $6, great way to see if you like them. Works fine.

Magnetic trailer lights- $9- great.

Compound, sliding miter saw lasted 7 years.
Not bad for $80 vs $250-$400 for "name brand". Might be able to be fixed.

Thanks for the sawzall info- guess I'll just get a good one.

I love the 1.5 ton aluminum floor jack. also have the borescope w digital display screen and it works good although there is now one avail w smaller lens. Most of their tools for seldom done jobs is good enough.

I bought a double flaring tool from HF. Absolute junk. When you clamp the tube in the holder and tighten the wing nuts as tightly as you can, the tube slides around when attempting the first stage of the flare. Don't waste your $ on this item.

Their black flux core welder and wire has been good to me this past year, the grinders go out ever few months.

Stay away from the a/c-fuel line quick disconnect tool, it doesn't fit any of it's sizes.

Aluminum floor jack,hvlp spray gun, stud dent puller,electric die grinder,good stuff.Thumbs up.The low line 90.00 dollar flux core welder,enngghh.

Engine Hoist-had for years and still works great, really well made.
Combination wrenches-bought years ago in an emergency they suck, made of rubber like steel, lol.
Cut off wheels-work fine
Pnuematic Die Grinder, angle and straight-work fine even after heavy use...I oil them every use though.
Aluminum seal driver set-works fine.
Axle Puller-not the best quality but works OK.
IR thermometer-works awesome and I use it constantly. Great to check a welded part so I don't burn the crap out of myself grabbing it. Probably saved me from a 3rd degree burn last week. I had to weld up a large deck shaft for my lawn tractor and and after a 30 minutes I was ready to grab it out of the vise. I thought twice and checked the temp..... 274 F...

drill bits saw blades are all junk

XS2 , their drill bits SUCK , so do their flap wheels and cut off wheels, they last a fraction of the time good DeWalts do. their engine stands have help up great even with a 440 hanging from it. I bought a 20 dollar Pittsburg 3/8 electric drill and a 4" angle grinder and they both have been tortured and are still working good. my floor jack is still alive after continual abuse, their ratchets and torque wrenches SUCK too . I ended up spending the money on good name brands. some stuff is good , some , not so much

I got one of the orange engine stands. The one with two front wheels...and it's bowed pretty heavily with a 5.9 on it. It's been there a few years, though. Just looks kinda scary.

I'm also NOT real happy with the small float charger- it only has one indicator light, and it comes on if either connection is made- the AC or the battery ?? What good is that?

The other thread started today gave me the idea of having a thread on which tools are Gems from HFT and which are Junk. If you make a blanket statement that they are all junk, that's just foolish.

It's all junk. Read to the end to find out why.

While I own lots of Craftsman tools, I do own many Harbor Freight tools that have served me well.
Yes, it does bum me out that soooo much stuff is made in China, but my philosophy has become - why not buy a Chinese made tool for less?

Because you're selling out the guy down the street that makes and sells things in this country, and that guy spends money here that supports whatever it is that YOU do for a living.

You're creating a linear cash flow (That heads East...(far East, actually), out of this country) instead of a circular one.

Go check out some of the tools from Milwaukee, Craftsman, etc. Made in China! You may have some you thought were made in USA....

To start - The "Earthquake" 1/2" Drive Impact gun is great! 700 ft lbs of torque, and for $69.99 with their coupon. I also have the 3" cutoff wheel, 4" air grinder, and 3/8" air ratchet - all work flawlessly.
The 3 ton floor jack has served me well for 2 years so far.

How about you?

Floor jack...electric impact driver...socket extensions ....DA sander....4" cut off...die grinder....nitrile gloves...welder...and there are probably some more that I have forgotten

I'll never trust my life to a company with a record as sketchy as Harbor Freight. Using one of their jacks? No way, Jose.

Here's the deal: You're searching through a junk looking for the gems, right? Well, the issue with the Chinese way of life is that the consistency is nil. There's NO way to say that the recip saw that your buddy bought a year ago is made at the same plant, or even by the same company, as the one you buy today. They have no accountability for quality control, and often times the manufacturer of a given product will make it well to win the contract, and then cheap out after the first production run in the interest of saving money...long after the roundeye QC inspectors have gone home.
You can't say it's not junk because you have no way of verifying that it's the same product, day after day. Suppose that you say the 100 gallon air compressor you bought there is a gem, and then the next one in line came from a different supplier. It could be a gem...or not...but there's no way to tell.

Does the cheap price really mean that much to you? Are you willing to risk damaging your car, your body, or your life, for the sake of a few dollars? Is it that much cheaper if the HF tool you're using damages or ruins what you're trying to fix?

As the guy that other people pay to fix their stuff, my answer is NO. I pay more for my tools. I use them correctly, and I only buy them once.

On top of that, I consider it an ethical issue. A large part of the cost of our American made products is that we mandate safe working conditions in factories and manufacturing facilities. By buying Chinese (or elsewhere, natch) products, you're supporting factories that are dangerous and damage the health and well-being of both people and environment. Buy buying American, I am supporting the advancement of humanity through safe working conditions and environmental stewardship (as if driving a '70's-era mopar is environmentally responsible, I guess).

I support my local toolman and if I have a choice between made here and somewhere else, my American brothers and sisters get the money, every time.

If the Chinese want all my money, they are welcome to move here and get green cards and go into business for themselves. Until then, 再见!

I bought one of these and it works well, except the slide hammer started going south. The little piece that "grabs" the weld-on studs doesn't grab anymore!....it just slides off! And without a good slide hammer, it's worthless. Hopefully, I can find a replacement slide hammer for cheap.

http://www.harborfreight.com/stud-welder-dent-repair-kit-98357.html

image_12016.jpg

image_12121.jpg

Jos51700 -

First of all, I for one, purchase as much stuff made in USA as I can. My compressor is a Campbell Hausfeld Made in USA, my welder is a Hobart, made in USA.
My cars are all American – are yours?
Just for laughs I looked up engine stands made in USA. IF you can find one - $900!!!
NO THANKS! Will I purchase a welding cart made in China? You bet your *** I will. Will the HFT tools I buy injure me or damage my car, Um, no. I practice safety precautions and don’t use tools beyond their purpose.
You forgot to mention how UNIONS screwed up USA production with their do nothing fat cats sending your dues to the Democrats….
Living in Pittsburgh my whole life, I saw what happened to the Steel industry – UNIONS.
Anyways, you have your opinion, and I have mine.

Snap-On cutoff tool Made in USA $232.00 Harbor Freight cutoff tool made in China $10.00 Really??? Not even in the same galaxy. I'll use that extra $222.00 supporting a locally owned restaurant..

Can't beat the prices on the fold-up engine lift, shop press, stud welder (above), and Porta-Power knock-off. I have bought some of their heavy metal items w/ a coupon for barely above the scrap metal value. Not sure how they do that and ship it from China. I used their $90 flux-wire welder to turn a $400 M-B with a cracked frame into my son's driver and welded a new floor pan into my Dart. At HF prices, why pay to rent a tool?

Snap-On cutoff tool Made in USA $232.00 Harbor Freight cutoff tool made in China $10.00 Really??? Not even in the same galaxy. I'll use that extra $222.00 supporting a locally owned restaurant..

My buddy WITH his own shop took the same approach. His go to grinders/cutoff wheels are all HF. He removes the crappy safety switch on the triggers and the disc guard. He seems to get a few years out of each one before they crap out.

funny side note on snap-on tools. That same friend sprung for a high end plasma cutter from the snap-on truck. He's on his fifth plasma cutter in under 6 months. And understandably he is effing livid about it. It took him twice as long to do mustang 2 suspension on a customers truck because one of the brand new ones crapped out before he finished cutting on one side of the front end. And its like a $1500 tool. Jokingly i told him he could've bought an HF plasma cutter for 300 bucks and never had these problems.

I always say.....when you buy a Snap-On tool, you're not only buying a tool.....you're buying someone a house.

Where do we begin, air compressor, many air tools, spray gun, engine stand, impact sockets, wrenches, 3/8 sockets, haven't had any trouble, bought a 4" electric angle grinder there used it a couple years and ir quit, went to a local electric motor shop and picked up some new brushes for it, they was Mikita brushes still using it 3 years later,

I always say.....when you buy a Snap-On tool, you're not only buying a tool.....you're buying someone a house.

When I was buying my home audio system a while back I was looking at upper end of the middle of the road stuff. Not the stuff from Best buys etc but a notch or two up. Was looking into getting a pre-amp from a Canadian company. When I was talking to one of there sales reps I mentioned they were a bit proud price wise. He came back with the price is a bit high due to its very lengthy warranty. He said that if you were to buy a piece of equipment with a 6 month warranty there is not much of a risk involved for a claim. However when you buy something with a very long warranty the risk for a claim goes up dramatically....the extra expense is there to cover the fact that with a long warranty there is a good chance a replacement will be in order.....or something to that effect.....

-
Back