Harbor Freight - Gems and Junk

-
good: auto trim removal kit, external blaster and blasting cabinet, welding clamps, c-clamps, bar clamps, masking paper, cheap paint gun set (for primer), porta-power, socket holder thingies, peg board accessories, auto welding helmet, their air tools work good enough for our purposes also.

bad: floor jack (wouldn't hold pressure. My dad still has his Craftsman floor jack that he got 40 years ago, every ten years or so he has to replace the gaskets but it is the workhorse) and a myriad of other stuff I've gotten there and forgotten about because it was used once, broke, and got thrown away. Oh, their wire ties suck also, too brittle.

All in all Harbor Freight has it's uses but I certainly wouldn't shop there exclusively, as, I'm sure, we all feel.

I am lucky enough to have one right down the street from me.

Ball Joint removal/installation kit....well worth the money. Mine lasted at least 10 years and I have very long breaker bars on it to pop the joints out.

I also had a engine stand and it was so so. The wheels ended up rusting solid from just sitting in the corner of the shop. Little penetrating oil and they freed up.

Well, regarding consumables, I have used many of the H.F. 3" cut off wheels and find they last a good while - at least as long as the name brands. I have the stud gun, it is good although the slide hammer that came with it was pretty cheap.
I do not like their quick couplers for air line, they don't seem to last long and I don't seem to be able to get the exact match the next time I go in.
C

I killed a slide hammer that came with the stud gun, the burled metal wheel became worn. They do not sell them separately, but you can order the entire slide hammer assembly as "replacement parts"

Took a while to get them (i ordered 2 just in case) but the phone staff was friendly and helpful.

oohh...another thing harbor freight is good for is one use tools. If you know you're only gonna use it once go get the cheap one and then return it. I'm such a doucher....lol.

I for one don't like to buy cheap tools, and the only Harbor Freight item I own is the red sandblasting cabinet I bought used. The cabinet is OK, but the light quit right away and there's no doubt why....it's as cheap as can possibly be!! Went to Harbor Freight to meet someone so I bought I'd check on getting the light stuff....of course you can't buy it seperately!!!

Basically why I won't shop there....I don't like disposable tools!! Geof

I for one don't like to buy cheap tools, and the only Harbor Freight item I own is the red sandblasting cabinet I bought used. The cabinet is OK, but the light quit right away and there's no doubt why....it's as cheap as can possibly be!! Went to Harbor Freight to meet someone so I bought I'd check on getting the light stuff....of course you can't buy it seperately!!!

Basically why I won't shop there....I don't like disposable tools!! Geof

I installed my own light. Got a shoop light, drilled 4 holes in the top of the cabinet and wire tied the light to the top....works great.

I have an HF floor jack. Had it like 10 years. I've abused it every way you can think of. Overloaded it. Left it outside all the time. Left it under our porch as a support for two weeks. All the wrong stuff. It's still kickin. It won't die. I'm tired of its heavy *** though. Soon as I can afford one, I'm gonna get an OTC aluminum jack.

The allen wrenches I got from there rounded out on real tight allens. Just brought em back and they gave me a new set. But I still bought a GOOD set. I've used the crap out of their belt sander, still going. Axes, mauls, sledgehammers all good.

I've had my share of stuff from them.

Ball joint separator/forks. They worked, sort of. Mostly the metal they are made of is too soft and you have to hammer the hell out of them before a ball joint pops loose. Not recommended if you're trying to save the ball joint.

Battery trickle chargers. Bought a half dozen of them with the coupon.

Air Grinder. Seems ok, but not sure how much abuse it will take.

I've mostly got with hand tools like the security bits and things like that. I'm leery of anything I know I will use for many hours. I agree they are great for those oddball one-time use type tools.

I have an HF floor jack. Had it like 10 years. I've abused it every way you can think of. Overloaded it. Left it outside all the time. Left it under our porch as a support for two weeks. All the wrong stuff. It's still kickin. It won't die. I'm tired of its heavy *** though. Soon as I can afford one, I'm gonna get an OTC aluminum jack.

You might want to consider this one from HF http://www.harborfreight.com/aluminum-racing-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-2-tons-68051.html

It's a lot cheaper and the OTC jack is probably made in the same factory in China....

I bought Stanley-Bostich crown stapler from Home Depot. Cost me $38 to replace trigger assembly. I also bought cheapo brad stapler from HF for $15. It keeps on working. I bought 1/4" air grinders - straight and 90 degree. Can't wear them out! When I go back i'm going to get another straight grinder. One for wire brush, one for cut-off wheel! They make a 1/4" arbor polishing set for the grinders, kinda like different grades of green pad. Great for small polishing jobs, priceless for removing stuck-on gasket material! Their hole saws are good for wood use. But, some tools you just leave there.

I kinda like their ratchets , used a 3/8 drive to take some lugs off car once and I had a extension on it , I had to stand and bounce on it before it broke and I weigh 300lbs. Better then craftsman from ny experience and same warranty

Good:
Earthquake Impact
Impact Sockets
Pittsburgh Plastic Ratchets (These are a real gem for working in tight spaces or in the wunter)
Chicago Electric 4.5" Electric Angle Grinder (this is an orange one...sounds bad but never gives up)
Pittsburgh Chrome Sockets
Vibrating Cutter tool
1/2" Variable Speed Drill 0-1800 rpm
3 ton Jackstands
Goodyear Made in USA air hose

Okay:
Air 90 degree drill
2-ton aluminum racing jack
sawzall w/reclockable handle (the blades that come with it are junk)
air fittings
pittsburgh combo wrenches
dial back timing light
float charger
electric impact

Bad:
Seal Puller (broke on 1st use...welded back together and is now fine)
Aluminum/Plastic Seal driver...just chintzy...still worked fine

Overall, a lot of stuff is alright, but there are things I avoid.

All of my air tools are from there all over 3 years old and are working fine [well not all] the air body saw was junk from day one it'll work but you have to entice it [hammer whack] and I bought an air file [long board] went thru 3 of them before I got a good one [bought the extended warranty]. I have their aluminum racing jack works great and a transmission jack also, it's my belief that if it's something i'm not going to use constantly then why not buy their stuff [don't make sence to have hundreds of dollars] in a tool you use once in a while.

I have a lot of HF stuff in my workshop. Most of it is prety good. They do make some junk as well. I try to only but the pro line of tools that are more expensive and look similar to the Snap-on etc... I have the 3 drawer tool and welding carts, engine stand&folding lift. ( the bigger ones they ofer. Can't remember the size) 33 gallon air compressor that works better than my crapsman one, and i have painted 3 cars with it. HVLPpaint gun, some air tools and a 3" cutoff wheel that I have had close to 20 years now. It's all in what you buy. I usually will not buy it if it looks like it will break easily. Never tried any of the electrical tools. I will stick to Dewalt. The cheap disposeable wrenches are great for modifying for a job specific need (header bolts dist wrench etc) just cut/heat/weld to make it work.
I have the seal pullers and drivers that are not so good. a creeper that sags in the middle and keeps you from creeping. a soldering iron that burnt out at first use( 1st and only electric tool) a tubing bender/flare kit that sucks bad and the sandpaper/abrasives are also crap.

The good stuff: my low-profile floor jack, the sandblosting cabinet, and the 20 ton press. Also their 4 inch grinder and the 4 inch cutoff wheels.

What I wouldn't buy: any of their welders. And their masks are borderline at best. I have one of their electronic masks and I can tell the difference between theirs and a good speedglass mask after welding for a while.... the HF mask has a slower cycle time and your eyes get fatigued from the light the sneaks through. Not obivous, but at the end of a welding stint you can feel it. Like being out in the sun without sunglasses.

Things to avoid - ANYTHING that depends on hardened, heat treated metal, like drill bits, saw blades, etc. Forget about taps and dies, too.
Most of their die grinders are made with junk electrical switches. I've tossed a few because they would not stay in the ON position. Crummy design. I've also cracked a few housing castings on the die grinders when I engaged the locking pin and spun off the locking disc to change a grinding wheel. Consider them disposable items.
Most of their rechargeable battery items suck - won't hold a charge. One exception was an electric 1/2" impact gun I bought 7-8 years ago. Can't buy a new battery for it now though, and the new 1/2" impacts they sell - they won't sell the batteries separately - go figure.
They have a LOT of planned obsolescence built into their products where they won't sell you the consumables, or make them really expensive or hard to get.
Their hand tools are ok, especially for a junk yard set. I bought one of their monster 3/4" drive socket sets for $40 just to have the sockets to use for pressing seals - you'll never break them. Their Torx bits are ok too.
Stay away from their pop rivets or other fasteners. Electrical or shipping tape does not have enough adhesive on it, and way too thin.
Their house brand welders are junk. And their 'precision' machine tools, like a metal lathe? Try the feed screws and see how sloppy they are - you'll never hold a tenth on one of those junkers. It's a shame because they got 85% of it right, but the really important stuff they gloss over.
I'm on my 2nd blast cabinet - the $200 (on sale) one - don't bother with the table top ones, not big enough to do a head or a steel wheel . I wore out the 1st one. On my 1st floor jack from them - made in china but then so are most of them nowadays, so we'll see. Going there tonight to replace my sun rotted trailer tire covers - canvas with metal hoops sewn into them. Held up pretty well for what they were. Helped preserve the life of my trailer tires from sitting in the sun. Their cheapo Ohm meters haven't let me down, and are cheap enough (even free sometimes) to keep spares wherever I need one. Great for continuity testers when working on an electrical problem.

harbor freight tube roller for bending tubing for such as roll bar for example.

http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html

I don't have one, but my friend has one, to bend cro-moly tubing for his chopper bike frame, for $169 plus the mount for it. it does an excellant job, but it will take lot of time. I imagine an tube bender you see on tv show cost probably at least 3 or 4 time that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FO1FOxscqqM"]Harbor Freight Tubing Roller - YouTube[/ame]

if you want to modify it and save some muscles then;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM_QyvTCsyk"]Harbor Freight Tubing Roller Electric Drive & Bottle Jack Kit @ swagoffroad com - YouTube[/ame]

I think total under $500.

I got a parts tumbler...
It vibrated off my work bench..... Junk
Gasoline post hole auger...
It broke on the first hole.... Junk
They took it back, no questions asked
I haven't been back since

:thefinge::tool:

The old school iron jacks, feel SO GOOD , against the aluminum jacks. solid piece.(and cheaper, for old school people). It actually, acts like a heavy old school steel jack... Time will tell...

Things I have that are great:
Heat Gun
Engine hoist
Welding cart
Pneumatic rolling stool
earthquake impact
Parts washer
Step drill bits
mig welding pliers

Things that have been junk:
Clutch alignment tool
Welding helmet (lasted 2 years then stopped working)
air body saw
dent puller

welding wire

we just got the blasting cabinet, preety straight forward, plug in your air, put in the sand...ect. leaks some but great for the price compared to a $1,500 snap on one, I bought there tool boxes and everything, I have no complaints. best buy has to be the 6 inch buffer/polisher and stand a $65 polisher, I have been working it out pretty hard and works for just about anything, can't believe I just bought one

The hand vacuum pump/brake bleeder 69328 is a good hd metal unit w replaceable parts. I bought it on sale and w 25% coupon for only $17. I had an Eastwood pump & kit that totally fell into pieces after bleeding 3 wheel cyl. Eastwood unit was a brittle plastic, but they refunded the money w no fuss.

-
Back