Has anyone installed more modern bucket seats in their A Body??

-
I have long been considering installing more modern bucket seats in my 69 Barracuda. I don't want install anything that would look out of place. I just want a more comfortable seat that is 6 way power that would recline. I thought I could have them recovered in a manner that would somewhat match the 69 Barracuda style. I am just looking for a happy medium. Has anyone else done this, and what did you use?
I have Recaro seats in mine.

I have Camaro seats in mine.
Closest thing to the 67 Camaro I always wanted. :D

2009 Mini Cooper seats in my car. All manual adjustments, look vintage and hold you in place for corners. Link to my blog showing the brackets I made for them to fit.

View attachment 1716038840

I got the same seats. I like the manual adjust for height. Mine are ugly brown.

Not an A body Mopar..... Actually a Ford Falcon... I too used Dakota seats.... Built custom mounts since the floor didn't have a level spot anywhere... One thing I did that most won't is I cut the headrests off so the seats wouldn't look completely out of place in an older car....

Kept the folding center armrest with the storage compartment & the cup holders...

Had the rear seat & door panels upholstered to match...
IMG_6344.jpg

IMG_6345.jpg

I put Mustang Cobra convert seats in my 1964 Valiant convertible. $50 pair on craigslist from a shop tossing them since a customer wanted Recaro seats. I wanted a shoulder belt and seemed hard to add an anchor at the top. I used Mustang convert shoulder belts. They anchor them at the top of the rear lift-rod pocket, but couldn't do that so attached them to the back of the seat with bolts and nuts. In a 2 door, that spool sticking out would bother a rear passenger, but not a problem a convert since across from the rod pocket and doesn't get in the way when getting in the back. In my 1965 Dart, I installed seats from a Sebring. Bought at a local swap meet $100/pair from a trailer "Git Ur Seats". The integrated shoulder belt made it less fuss.

Both sets have a power driver's seat and manual passenger. Don't love the power since adds weight and stuff to break. Both have the controls integral in the seat so just need 12 VDC power. I added seat heater pads when I had the covers off to clean. They have a little toggle switch on the cable which then runs under the carpet

I have long been considering installing more modern bucket seats in my 69 Barracuda. I don't want install anything that would look out of place. I just want a more comfortable seat that is 6 way power that would recline. I thought I could have them recovered in a manner that would somewhat match the 69 Barracuda style. I am just looking for a happy medium. Has anyone else done this, and what did you use?
I used seats from a 96 stratus. I am going to try painting them with upholstery/carpet paint. I cut out the raised humps on the sides where a bench seat is supposed to mount and welded a flat patch. Also made new mounting holes so did not need to fab any kind of bracket.

320.JPG

Last edited:
I have procars in my Swinger and I like them. I have always thought the 03-04 Mustang Mach 1 seats would be awesome in an old mopar.

View attachment 1716038919

View attachment 1716038920
I’ve been wondering about the Procar adapters for my 70 Dart as a starting point to use for a newer model seat that has a flat bottom. I’m wanting to use some buckets with power adjust and heat/cool I got from a 2017 Nissan Maxima.

While waiting for my original seats to finish up at the upholstery shop, I installed the Recaro's that he finished for my 70 Duster.

I had bought these brand new back in the 80's, wear and tear over the years, plus mice made them unusable. He did a nice job restoring both sets of them.

IMG_8151.jpg

IMG_8149.jpg

All those look nice especially the mustang seats. I think Coyote Jack used them ln his Demon. This option is great for everyone who has a black interior but for the rest of us who have red blue or white inside we are sol. Looks like a trip to the upholstery shop would be next. Boɓby

DSC_0693 (Copy).JPG

DSC_0692 (Copy).JPG

2002 neon front and rear, The asymmetrical floor issue is at its worst passenger rear

Trying to figure out seats for my car now... The person that was going to recover my benches flaked on me.. so now i have all bare frames and am screwed... i hate humans :( Am probably just going to do CJ buckets in front and carpet the rear (will never be more than 1 person in my car) Really annoyed bout this.

Not an A body Mopar..... Actually a Ford Falcon... I too used Dakota seats.... Built custom mounts since the floor didn't have a level spot anywhere... One thing I did that most won't is I cut the headrests off so the seats wouldn't look completely out of place in an older car....

Kept the folding center armrest with the storage compartment & the cup holders...

Had the rear seat & door panels upholstered to match...
View attachment 1716039310

View attachment 1716039311
What type of metal did you use to fabricate the custom mounts. I have a small mig but my stash of metal is all steel angle and square tubing a bit large for the purpose. I’ve been thinking of buying the pro-car mount for my car and adapting it to the salvage six way heated and cooled seats I found from a Nissan Infinity.

On the front outer side towards the door, I just cut it down a bit.

The front inboard (Console side) I cut it down and added a piece of angle iron. I’m going to add a gusset also to give it some more rigidity.

The rear mounts no modifications needs. I did have to use half inch solid rubber bushing in between the seat mount and the floorboard to level out the seat to make it look correct.

Once I’m finished I’m gonna take the original mount covers from the ‘Stang and use them to cover up mounts!
78A175A8-9470-4ACE-B1C2-AF101122CFE5.jpeg

2559CA26-C0BD-40AB-A44A-5F613B21E7A1.jpeg

C1EE9202-B67A-4AAC-A487-078C125CBF6D.jpeg

53F2617E-9F58-40F6-92CB-7DB9DD8045F3.jpeg

If you’re asking me, yes they can be reclined more forward and back… they can also be moved closer and to the dash.

As far as the rear height you can adjust that… but I wouldn’t get it to height unless you modify the bracket to accommodate. Otherwise it’s putting to much stress on the mounting bolts.

-
Back