Has anyone painted their car with rollers

-
I guess not all naysayers took the suggestions to first read the moparts post. Your statement could be true for Rustoleum (I haven't researched). The Interlux Brightsides polyurethane paint I used is used to paint boats, usually fiberglass with a degraded gel coat. They claim it lasts ~5 years, but my car isn't sitting in the sun and salt spray so I am hoping for 20 years.

Not what I would use on a car because it will typically get rock hard (may chip if prep work isn't 100%) but a polyurethane paint = lasting much longer and like you said not in the sun/salt all the time so it should last.

I think thats what I used on my boat (lake use only and pull it out every time) it's still shinny (+5 years) and admittedly I didn't prep it right. (Has chips more from docks ect and being towed on the freeway then I would like to see, planning on redoing it this winter and using automotive single stage paint most likely PPG or glasurit 21 line.)

I am a big supporter of driving your car, thats what they were made for. As long as it's safe and your happy then do it! All I was trying to say is enamels (and an uncatalyzed one even more) don't last, I have seen it time and time again.

Lol I drive my swinger every day and beat the living **** out of it (and love every second of it). How about you you? Ask anyone who has meet me if you need proof.

I just know that I can do better and because I actually care I want to do better, hence why I am taking the time and doing it right on my Super Coupe. A trailer queen is one thing, something that has a lasting durable paint job is another..... (Guess what your 10 coats of clear may look great at the car show but it's quick to chip on the road......)

To the OP, Please paint your car and drive it, thats what they were designed for, just know any enamel paint isn't going to hold up to the weather like a urethane will and if it's maintained IE waxed or kept inside it will last considerably longer.

My crappy looking daily driver. See pics are deceiving.

Sorry, don't need proof, just from your previous post about not taking it to car shows and such I thought (assumed...my bad) that the "flaws" bothered you to the point of leaving it in the garage. I think it's pretty awesome how FABO has so many people who literally have "daily drivers." Admittedly, I don't drive my enough, but part of the problem is I have too many vehicles and with Michigan weather being so unpredictable I'd rather not trust my drum brakes in a downpour or have to hope that I don't break down because of some 40 year old part wearing out. I try to drive them on leisurely days and enjoy good weather.

I've thought about getting a crappy winter beater type of car to just try the "roll on" method with, but just haven't had the time. I wouldn't try it with a vehicle I care about, but am fortunate to have gotten some pretty good looking vehicles.

P.S. Your Swinger looks pretty good in the picture, even if it's deceiving. You can be proud of the paint because you did it yourself which is better then 90% of the rest of us. :)

So.

Day: 1 of the paint job that I will henceforth refer to as "The Presidential Special."

Got everything sanded and prepped, both door jams prepped and painted, everything taped off. Got a full coat on the car. It's still see through in places. At first, it looked horrible and bubbly and uneven, but if you roll back over it gently after its dried and settled some, it just smooths right out. Looked again this morning, and it's much better. The only thing that I can't stress enough is to use VERY LITTLE. Thin coats, people! VERY THIN!

2012-07-25060842.jpg

This is a picture I took this morning before I left for work. The dew makes it look weird.

Sorry for the lack of pics! my normal camera man (brother) was at a baseball game, and my phone was too dead to take pics. So, once again, you get the moist, morning after shot ;)

This coat is ALOT better than the last. Thin coats, once more, seem to be the key. It also seems to be important to keep an eye on the paint, and to keep working it with the roller (very lightly) until it's completely smooth. It's not shiny by any means, but it's much smoother than the last coat was. I dry sanded with 800 between coats and learned very quickly why wet-sanding is the better option.

Wet sanding with 1200 today, then, will make the decision about whether to apply the last layer with rollers, or a spray gun. We have both. Just trying to decide. Also, I will then go around all the "hard to reach" areas with a can, if I roll it. Overall, I think it's looking ok (all things considered). It's not bad. But not gorgeous yet either. I don't doubt that it's possible to roll a car and have it look pro. I'm just saying it's not as easy as the article made it sound ^^ Which is fine. I do love a challenge.

2012-07-26060628.jpg

Interlux Brightside also has more uv protection than Rustoleum, that was important to me because of the weather here, plus it's hard as granite. It's reasonably priced, also important so I have some money left over for gas. I have a little less than $450 into my paint job that includes everything from TCP Global guns to masking tape- everything. Will it win car show trophies? no, I built it to beat it. Does it get compliments and look great goin down the road? you bet it does. Would I do it again? absolutely!

Attachments

• 7-22-12 020_1.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 432
  • 7-22-12 024_1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 415
  • autofest 014_1.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 419
Fuzzy is better than nothing. Keep em coming Sully.
That is a nice looking paint job Pauly. Is it a single stage enamel or what?

I roller my race car each year. Rustolem works the best for me. I really comes out pretty good with a wet sand and buff I bet It would look ok. I would never roller I really cared about but I bet with a little work it would look better than rust or a faded paint job.

Looks good Pauly, If it were mine... I wouldn't be ashamed to park it next to a Cobra either!

These budget ideas really sound like good ideas for any race car or street car that actually gets driven/beaten or for your outdoor/parking lot car show kind of guy. After all, if you need an autorama show car you are gonna spend the big bucks anyway, then this isn't for you.
But then, I can buzz through one of those shows in a hour or two anyway.. I'd rather visit the stocker pits at the drags...

Alan

Looks good Pauly, If it were mine... I wouldn't be ashamed to park it next to a Cobra either!

These budget ideas really sound like good ideas for any race car or street car that actually gets driven/beaten or for your outdoor/parking lot car show kind of guy. After all, if you need an autorama show car you are gonna spend the big bucks anyway, then this isn't for you.
But then, I can buzz through one of those shows in a hour or two anyway.. I'd rather visit the stocker pits at the drags...

Alan

There was two Cobras next to me, the one you see in the pic had a bonafide 427 side oiler in it. they were really nice guys, too bad for them more people were interested in my car haha!!

Attachments

• autofest 065_1.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 385
Just to be clear, I'm not advocating rolling or spraying cheap paint, but I think it's important for people to know that there are options out there that may be better suited for folks that don't need/require a "show quality" paint job. -pauly

2012-07-26183328.jpg

Right after painting.

2012-07-27055922.jpg

This morning.

Today we'll put on another coat. Tomorrow morning I'll wetsand it with 1000 again. Then, one more coat, either with a roller or spray gun, and wet-sand with 2000, then buffing.

I have to say. I'm impressed with this coat. We mixed it a little thicker. The previous two looked... rough. In every sense of the word. But this one looks really nice. It was smooth and satiny this morning.

Pauly,
Your Valiant looks fantastic. I see worse paint jobs on new cars at dealer lots, with noticeable orange peel (Hummers were notorious). You must have picked a dry day in Honolulu to spray, or maybe you live on the west side of Oahu.

I am getting close to painting my Dart exterior with Brightsides and considering spraying rather than rolling so less sanding required. I am thinking of using my Harbor Freight gravity-feed gun that is more efficient with paint than my siphon-feed. Did you have to thin your paint. If so, what thinner did you use? Did you sand the final coat or was it smooth enough as is? I understand best to leave as is to keep the teflon coating.

Pauly,
Your Valiant looks fantastic. I see worse paint jobs on new cars at dealer lots, with noticeable orange peel (Hummers were notorious). You must have picked a dry day in Honolulu to spray, or maybe you live on the west side of Oahu.

I am getting close to painting my Dart exterior with Brightsides and considering spraying rather than rolling so less sanding required. I am thinking of using my Harbor Freight gravity-feed gun that is more efficient with paint than my siphon-feed. Did you have to thin your paint. If so, what thinner did you use? Did you sand the final coat or was it smooth enough as is? I understand best to leave as is to keep the teflon coating.

thanks!
thinned with xylene until it looked sprayable. no real science or measuring.
I sprayed the interior with a detail gun and left it since the finish was pretty nice. I used a regular hvlp gun on the exterior and blocked it down to 2000 grit, cut and buffed.
I live in town but i made sure i had a nice breezy day to spray, that helped move the overspray out of my condo parking stall and away from the nearest cars which really were'nt very close by at all.

A little extra time and effort wet sanding and I think you'll be very happy with the results, Sully!

single stage urethane, two coats, sprayed on

i used the same stuff you did. cheap spray gun, single stage medium kit from TCP, two coats, no show stopper , but im not afriad to take it down a dirt road. i have less than 400 bucks total in it. the pics dont do it justice

Attachments

• d315.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 398
  • a228.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 379
There was two Cobras next to me, the one you see in the pic had a bonafide 427 side oiler in it. they were really nice guys, too bad for them more people were interested in my car haha!!
Gee, I wonder why? LOL! They must have been distracted for some reason....

The Valiant Regal in my avatar was painted (sprayed) in cheap acrylic in 2004, didn't even use primer. Total cost was about $350.
It's shabby now, but is in the weather most of the time, and doesn't really get looked after.
I am going to paint it again soon, will do the dings a bit better, and use primer this time, but otherwise the same.
Cheap paintjobs rule!
(unless its a show car)

My car in my avatiar is rolled with a brush I think you can have good results you have to also consider that it takes a lot of time like you do a trunk and it looks good and you keep working at it cause everytime you polish it, it looks better. I was going to do my whole care didn't i realize, I'm not really a body guy and I don't really know what I'm doing lol. I have panels and rear quarters that need to replace. I have a friend that told me to find a tech college and they will do a good job for cheap cause the students are learning their trade. I check and the one closest to me will paint the car for $600. I buy the paint and the products!! I will give it a try.

My car in my avatiar is rolled with a brush I think you can have good results you have to also consider that it takes a lot of time like you do a trunk and it looks good and you keep working at it cause everytime you polish it, it looks better. I was going to do my whole care didn't i realize, I'm not really a body guy and I don't really know what I'm doing lol. I have panels and rear quarters that need to replace. I have a friend that told me to find a tech college and they will do a good job for cheap cause the students are learning their trade. I check and the one closest to me will paint the car for $600. I buy the paint and the products!! I will give it a try.

Getting the local votech to paint mine was the original plan too. But unfortunately, the only local one that still does it won't paint anything older than 85, and won't do full-body jobs. They'll only do repairs and the painting that comes with it. I thought it was odd, but meh.

had a lemans in high school we did in 1 foot square caprpet peices red carpet car was like a ton when it rained lol

Just painted my car on sat with tractor paint and a spray gun. 40 bucks total in materials.

150502_2591252638128_720312174_n.jpg

-
Back