HDK Tubular Coil Over for Stock Steering

-
I did not see Jr in Bob's threads saying nice job, keeping an eye on this, and other things. It looks bad the way it went down but I don't care, I'm not a potential buyer of either. I don't like square tubing and I'm not interested in working around a stock K on my cars.

If this were no big deal to you I don't think you'd be throwing chapter book posts out after one liners.

I just don't like cheap shots from the peanut gallery.

Maybe everyone should quit making anything for our old cars! Then we can just ***** and moan about how no one makes anything for our cars!

IMO there is pull and push on the strut rod simply because of suspension travel and the arc the strut rod has to travel. That is why I favor the rubber factory front bushings on a street car.

Currently at the laser cutter is a (bolt in version) similar rear brace for the LCA that will be offered along with the upper shock mount and chromoly support hoops.

Junior is doing a great job showing where there is a will....there is a way. And, with a little thought, hot-rodders with the right skills can build it themselves.

Mopar to ya' Junior

this was copied right from post #108 on JR's build where Denny dropped a teaser that he had something in the works.

Yea months into a build and multiple pictures of all the components he lets on he is getting something laser cut, really.

show me your contribution to us....maybe then we can all laugh.

Denny is a stand up guy, a while back, I consulted him about doing something with the front of my Dart, he messaged me back and offered to have me come over and show me how to build my own K frame and such to suit my needs. If it wasnt for the 5 hour drive, I'd done it and I still may.
However, I will take Denny at his word that he didn't copy anything. Some of you are butt hurt without any proof, one way or the other. I guess Indy, Edlebrock, 440source, Trickflow are all copy cats for basing their design off the factory.

What's sad is, a few of you don't understand how racing/rodding works. Every single aftermarket piece you can buy these days is because someone somewhere saw a part, came up with an idea and built it, others then took that and built what they felt fit their needs. Hell, google A body tube k frames, I came up with over 20 in less than a minute. Some crappy, some good, some great. Does that make each of them a thief?

Anyway, Denny, I'm going to PM you, I'm very interested in this set up

Yea months into a build and multiple pictures of all the components he lets on he is getting something laser cut, really.

yeah ....really

first comes the concept
then comes the cardboard test
then you meet with the CAD guy
then you critique the cad drawings
then you have batch laser cut (minimum cut is 6 of each piece)
then you test fit
then you meet with the CAD guy to re-draw the changes
then you make another batch (min 6 ea of changes)
then you re-test with other components.

I work around the schedules of the CAD guy, the laser cutter, the welder and the machinists.......It takes months, money and patience to develop a piece......and I do that with EVERY part. Ask someone who has a HDK if it isn't a well put together.

REALLY!!!!!.....

yes..... YOU are the friggin peanut gallery. no idea what it takes ....but obviously the expert.

What a bunch of band wagon idiots, this is why this site has progressively gotten worse. I'm on several other build sites and none have this type of whining and crying. You all should be real proud. It's a bent tube !!! and Jr. said he would eventually like to sell them, not that they were currently for sale, so if your in line for his one of part you might be waiting a while. I've seen this design around for years and as far as Boo Hoo lets feel bad for Jr. and his design I didn't see a upper mount, shock simulator, or "bolt -on" support in his kit...oh wait, he didn't even have or offer a kit and like Denny said" its a different design other than having a bent tube". Grow up people .

I'm sure the peanut gallery will give me backlash over this post, but before you do.... look at all the headers out there, they all use round tubes that have some similar bends going to a similar collector..did they all steal someone's design or was it just the most practical solution ?

yes..... YOU are the friggin peanut gallery. no idea what it takes ....but obviously the expert.

Funny how he joins AFTER this comes up, and his only posts are in this thread....looks like someone who is either trying to cover their existing profile on here, a friend of the guy who's making these claims or the guy himself with a second profile. :wack:

I would think that if you stole a design that you would have to have it in your hands
and in a jig on your bench in order to make a meaningful copy. Does anyone think
that they can copy this stuff by looking at a picture on a web forum? If you could,
most of us would all be making our own.

There have already been members on this thread that have stated, unsolicited, that
they have been talking to Denny about getting these pieces in a kit with his upper
shock supports since last year even before JR posted his deal. How does that make
any sense?

I looked at that orange Hemi Duster from Pennsylvania at the Mopar Nationals years
ago and just as stated, it had the design of LCA's that are being discussed here.

So what is the basis for all of the distrust and animosity. I'm not seeing it.

Like Dr. Hemi said. You can't just pull something like this out of your *** in a six months time. Well, he didn't put quite like that. LOL It HAD to be in the works for a while. Unless you do it full time with a crew behind doing all the engineering. It ain't happening that quick with only a couple of people doing it. And for the new guy with a very low post count slamming a member who has been here and contributing for a long time, shut the hell up. I had to change that from the F bomb, to hell. Denny, thanks for what you do. I have seen minor disagreements from other members about your k-frame replacement compared to others. It has not gotten ugly yet, all parties expressed their opinions and then went about their happy way. No slamming or personal attacks from either side. Maybe the newbie poster from b-bodies should follow?

I personally feel it is a simple part that anyone could copy from pictures and the dimensions
off a stock arm . Providing they have the tools. I would be expecting some people to do this to save some cash and I have done it many times in many areas of my own projects. I didn't do it to sell though. I would guess this is the part that provoked Jr the most to sharing his views.
In hind sight it may have been best to have shown or told Jr in his project thread
of your intention to market the same part. You were there anyway after all. But that is
just hind site. Easy to see now.
I don't feel he is out of line for bringing it up as I'm sure it had to be shocking for him
to see the parts posted with pictures. I also feel he stated his veiws honest and tactfull and
wanted us to know how he felt. I can't hold that against someone.
I'm sure you don't care for being called a theif no more than he cared seeing parts like his
going on the market.
There are as many different opinions on what is ethical and what is not as there are people.
I just feel It is a shame he won't be continuing on with his progress in pictures for us.
He is doing some excellent fabrication that was great to watch.

Hi magnumdust

I'm shootin' for streetable. It utilizes the SAME upper coilover mount and support hoops I include with the HDK.

Looks good! I can't wait to see the finished & tested product. I've always liked the similar(in concept) kit from Bob's Performance Fab, but everything i read suggested his setup was more of a track-only design.

In business, how does one get even? Well, you do something as well as the competition, and you do it cheaper. I just don't think its cool to air your grievances in public. This ain't Peyton Place people, most of us don't come here for drama.

Please..... would ANYONE of you show me what he designed????

his welding skills are great.....but WTF did he design that was not already out there?

the single tube control arm....nope...seen it / done it years ago
the bent control arm.....nope...seen it years ago
the end that attaches to the ball joint.....nope...seen it / done it years ago
the poly end .......nope seen it / done it years ago

just because a few have not seen it or built it yourselves....doesn't mean it hasn't been out there. Do some research.

and you boys act like I was lurking on his thread asking him for info to build mine.....I 've been there /done that (perhaps when some of you were in diapers).

As with other member builds....I complimented his fab work (NOT to be confused with design), was asked by another member to chime in on a support issue, which I did, and attempted to explain the correct function of the factory strut bar. If you read different... prove it!

Was I suppose to hi-jack his thread and start talking about me...me....me and what I build?????....I try NOT to be that guy. I simply tried to give him support and direction.

As I pointed out ....the function of his design will NOT work with my package.
his package????? never seen one....you?

Some are giving Jr WAYYYYYYY to much credit for a design that while he might have dreamed it up some night.....has been out there for years.

HD.

I would just stop there if I was you. Your the one who has had the skills and determination to bring something to fruition that looks like an excellent product and that's coming from an RMS owner.

JR. You showed your cards but didn't have a full hand. If you were committed to doing what you talk about you would have already had your wares on the table for sale. I see a guy who has mad skills but lacks some self motivation to get past the point where you are.

I think you should both stop and go back to what you do best and that is fabricate cool parts for guys that have no other choices. People will always like Coke and people will always like Pepsi. They are both damn good cola's and that's what we could have here. There can be more than one product that is close to the same and people will buy both. Ask Mr. Pibb and Dr. Pepper. They are both men of substance and will attest to my belief.

Let this madness end and the creativity continue please.

R.C. Cola and Dr. Shasta Lover.

Come on guys stop. Both guys stuff is nice. If you do not have anything nice to say keep it to your self.

HD.

I would just stop there if I was you. Your the one who has had the skills and determination to bring something to fruition that looks like an excellent product and that's coming from an RMS owner.

JR. You showed your cards but didn't have a full hand. If you were committed to doing what you talk about you would have already had your wares on the table for sale. I see a guy who has mad skills but lacks some self motivation to get past the point where you are.

I think you should both stop and go back to what you do best and that is fabricate cool parts for guys that have no other choices. People will always like Coke and people will always like Pepsi. They are both damn good cola's and that's what we could have here. There can be more than one product that is close to the same and people will buy both. Ask Mr. Pibb and Dr. Pepper. They are both men of substance and will attest to my belief.

Let this madness end and the creativity continue please.

good call .....I got sh*t to do.

Question about the setup
how will it handle relative to the other hdks?

also id love to be an official sponsored tester of each setup (have plans to go to a few tracks)

not about the product

an easy way to silence the nay sayers would be to post a pic of an recite or somthing with an date previus to jr's thred. you can white out the costs if you wish

I just don't like cheap shots from the peanut gallery.

Then leave the forum or don't post. That's your only chance.

I like the part where you've now started to discount what Jr has done LOL, that makes ya look better.

Anyone wanna see my front suspension? :)

Then leave the forum or don't post. That's your only chance.

I like the part where you've now started to discount what Jr has done LOL, that makes ya look better.

Anyone wanna see my front suspension? :)

Why don't you just answer the question for me?

I will make it simple....what is there about it that hasn't already been done?

Maybe you should take into consideration I designed my first set of 1 1/4" / 1-1/2" od round chromoly
tubular lower control arms almost 20 years ago.....I still have the proto-types, in fact, I cut one of
them in two and added a sleeve, to make it adjustable to experiment with different track widths
I hope you guys are happy. I had to dig through old stuff most of the afternoon to get this pic for my photobucket.
Don't mind the patina. It was old then. Note the polybushing. I'd prefer a 3 day notice if you want anything else dug
out that's over 10 years old.

HDK%20Old%20003_zpssflffqm5.jpg

HDK%20Old%20005_zpshonvrdni.jpg

HDK%20Old%20004_zpshqg8g7pl.jpg

-
Back